Ignition coil failures | FerrariChat

Ignition coil failures

Discussion in '612/599' started by ifeelfree0, Jul 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I just had 2 ignition coils fail over the weekend when out for a 2 hr trip. Fortunately, I was able to limp into my mechanics shop for the repair before any further damage. Are these failure prone? Possible reasons given was moisture related, based on seal detoriation. Without over reacting, would running a dehumidifier in the garage help if this is indeed a possible cause. The garage is dry however not climate controlled. Any suggestions or comments on other failure modes and preventive measures?

2. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Dan, I was interested to see your post. I build COP ignition systems for the earlier V12 engines in the 550's and 456M's, and I've been curious to know how the COP's on the later Ferraris hold up.

With the elimination of distributors, and the advent of crank triggered ignitions, we became accustomed to not having any ignition issues with our cars, however when COP's came along that changed.

The Japanese were the first to put COP's on their cars in the early 90's, and by the late 90's they were sorted and reliable. The Germans were next, and they had continual problems with both Bosch & Beru COP's until well into the 2000's (and some would say they're still not sorted, ie the Cayenne Turbo, VW Passat, etc.)

The Italians were last, and I've been watching/listening for any reports on problems with the Ferrari setup. I wouldn't say your one data point constitutes a trend, but it's interesting nonetheless.

Age, moisture and heat are the enemies of all transformers (and COP's are really just transformers), so I think the only thing you can help with is ensuring they're well sealed, and no moisture gets into them. You really can't do anything about the age & heat.

One approach would be to consider Ferrari COP's as consumables that could be changed out every other major, ie perhaps every 10 years? This may seem overly conservative, but it should keep your car running.

Also, if I were the owner of a Ferrari with OEM COP's and I planned on keeping the car longterm, I would seriously consider buying a spare set now, and keeping them in a cool, dry place for the future. COP technology is always changing, and obtaining spares in the future may be difficult.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Funny thing is, the problem is with your 599, while your COP 575M, older and living in the same environment, has likely not had any problems.

On the 599, the parts catalogs on Ricambi's site shows the 599 coils have been superseded twice, so Ferrari had some problems with them, too. Latest recommendation is for the California coils, it appears.

The 575M coils were widely used and have not had many problems I have seen. One occasionally has failed, but nothing more than that.

4. ifeelfree0

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks all. Hopefully its a one off and they are trouble free for the forseeable future.

5. ifeelfree0

Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I was told the FF also uses the same COP's so hopefully there is a runway for supply

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Replacing them all as preventive maintenance seems overkill unless a trend starts that shows reliability issues. I see no reason not to keep a couple spares on the shelf though. I have a high mileage BMW 540 (2001) and have replaced a total of two out of eight Beru cops. The first failed at around 240k miles, the second around 250k miles. I'm at almost 270k miles now...so far so good. ;) But a spare is on the shelf, just in case. They are super easy to diagnose with an OBDII scanner and simple to replace as well (maybe not so easy on a 599).