599 Radio Cover repair | FerrariChat

599 Radio Cover repair

Discussion in '612/599' started by pk311yfe, Aug 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pk311yfe

pk311yfe Rookie

Jun 30, 2017
    Hi all, my radio cover won't stay closed - a common problem I believe. I have seen old posts about this. Some say you need to replace the complete assembly (P/N 69163400 for the carbon version) and some say replacing the "Dumper" (I suspect this should be "Damper") which is P/N 243895 will cure the problem. Does anyone have first hand experience of this? Am I wasting my time with the "Dumper" solution?

2. xcvb1

xcvb1 Karting

May 19, 2016
    #2 xcvb1, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    I had the same issue. In most cases you don't need to replace the whole thing. It can somehow be adjusted. In my case the local Ferrari dealer did that. But I remember that it was around 300 Dollars. But that is a lot less than replacing the whole unit. A technically more skilled person than myself can probably do it also for lots less.

Michael

PS my cover didn't close completely but it stayed sort of closed. Yours is not staying closed at all?

3. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

This just happened to my car, ironically it happened while at the dealer for service, they don't remember bumping it or doing anything wrong but oh well, it happened.

The service manager said that this is common, the part that usually goes bad is the Dumper.

He sent me a diagram, but I don't know if I can fix it, not really great at this stuff.

4. BTX

BTX Karting

Jan 13, 2008
    France
    Hi

Did it myself on mine in 3 hours.
    First you have to remove the steering column switch (Workshop E2.06), and the radio
    Then remove the Console trim panel cover and the central sides of the dashboard (Workshop M2.20).

5. pk311yfe

pk311yfe Rookie

Jun 30, 2017
    Hi all, thanks for the replies. My cover wouldn't stay closed at all. I could close it (it moved freely) but it would retract again i.e. the cover would not latch. I suspect the mechanism has two components - the "Dumper" (or damper?) which slows the movement of the cover as it raises and an on/off latching mechanism. If this is correct, it is the latching mechanism that is defective on my car. If this is all part and parcel of the "Dumper" then fine but the dealer certainly seems to be struggling with the fix!

6. pk311yfe

pk311yfe Rookie

Jun 30, 2017
    Hi all, finally got to the bottom of my problem. It seems there are two different "dumpers" depending upon chassis no. Despite ordering by chassis number, the first two the dealer received seemed to work in the reverse sense and hold the cover open rather than closed. On the third attempt they tried the other version and the problem was solved! if you ever have the problem, you may want to alert your dealer to this, as mine had to find out the hard way.

7. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt

Did you have you remove the steering wheel and paddles too ?

8. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

What year is your car??

9. Motorama

Motorama Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stijn Van Loffelt
  10. BTX

BTX Karting

Jan 13, 2008