What's this 70 454 Chevelle Re-Creation worth? | FerrariChat

What's this 70 454 Chevelle Re-Creation worth?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by REMIX, Oct 27, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

I know some of you guys will know the answer to this. I checked eBay, prices are everywhere.

I was down at this dealership today just checking it out. Caught my eye because I never see old school Chevelles anymore. Body is solid, paint is pretty good, underside is very clean, but lots of incorrect stuff on it. Not sure how much it matters, though. Had to have been a small block 350-optioned car in its former life. Idles like a decent cammed BB.

They want $25,900 for it with probably some room. No AC. Good weekend cruiser car for this kinda $$ or no?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-Chevelle-RE-CREATION-70-CHEVELLE-SS-454-A-TON-OF-FUN-THAT-TURNS-HEADS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a3Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1308QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem370100053196QQitemZ370100053196

RMX

2. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    At that price from the condition as it looks in the pics you would definately have a cheap fun weekend car. Wouldn't take forever to unload at around that price either.

3. REMIX

I'm thinking this may cure my antsy ness as I've been wanting something fun. This is something I could turn a wrench on myself and probably install AC without much expense and effort. It's not the correct motor, so I could do all kinds of fun stuff (chrome, supercharger, etc). Take it to cruise nights, etc. If I know I can sell it close to what I paid, it might be worth it.

RMX

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Other than the wheels, tach, hurst shifter...there aren't too many blatantly incorrect bits. Engine compartment actaully looks fairly descent compared to most you see. The correct exhaust manifolds (most go straight headers). Intake looks to be a little higher than the OEM, but it's not chromed. No overuse of chrome for that matter either...valve covers are supposed to be chrome. Presentable engine compartment for a driver not trying to represent as a matching car.

IMO, as somone who owns a genuine LS-6, for $25K you can run drive and beat this thing without the worries of devaluation or major ($) breakage.

I'm not a big fan of repos, tributes and the like but I am a fan of having fun with a car and this is one you could do that with easily.

Nice color combo too.

Biggest thing for me would be to get bigger tires for the front. The wheels look good on the car, but I don't really like the jacked-up weekend warrior dragger look...but thats just me.

Good luck.

5. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    #5 Jeff328, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks like a lot of fun for $23-$25k, tops. Any higher and you are into genuine SS territory.

I love old muscle cars but one thing I hate are stock muscle cars. Very boring. I like tasteful aftermarket additions. Here's my (real) '67 GTO, which has aftermarket wheels, exhaust, and correct but not matching numbers engine with a few modifications. It's a real GTO with a 4-speed, 3.55 posi, and 3 2-barrels from a '66. My insurance company says it's worth $30k. I would not sell it for that amount.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. REMIX

Let's see what tomorrow brings. ;)

RMX

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Lines look good in that color.

I will respectfully disagree w/ you on OEM cars being boring. IMO, the reason one would keep a car OEM is to experience what it was like to drive and feel a car in its original condition and era. When I drop into my 66 SB corvette, I'm back in 1966. Some around here have had that experience...some like myself have not & that has value to me.

I wont bash resto mods and modern updates to cars. I would bash someone who took a pretty orginal car and then hacked it into a resto mod, but for someone to take a project car devoid of love and personalise it to their taste, I'm ok with that....you saved a cool car. There is enough room in the hobby for both OEM & Resto mods. In fact I'm slightly looking for a 67-69 Camaro or similar year Fastback Stang for my wife which we could put some wheels on, lower, maybe a CD player etc....

8. REMIX

Quick question: would this car need leaded gas? How do you deal with an old car like this in a world of unleaded?

RMX

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No. Making these motors run on unleaded pump gas is a non issue. Hardened valve seats, lower compression ratio, re-cam if you want the same hp and you're good to go.

10. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very Cool! In 66 I built a 54 Stude with a 412 Tri Power from a wrecked Catalina. Wish I still had that one.

11. REMIX

Thanks. Guess I need to determine if that's already been done.

RMX

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Very likely has.

13. REMIX

LOL...just noticed this thing doesn't have a radio. Haha. Guess it wouldn't be that hard to hook one up. I'm sure the wiring this there somewhere.

RMX

14. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    Thank you for the compliment. I agree with what you say - although my preference is for modified cars I'm still glad there are guys who will save the originals as well even though I find them boring to look at. My feeling is that if a car is numbers matching and in reasonably good shape then it is definitely one to restore to OEM condition. If it's anything less then have at it and make it your own. Even a modified car can give you that flashback experience, whenever I get in my '67 it definitely feels like a time machine.

15. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I spent a ton of money for a period-correct-looking sound system in my GTO and I don't think I've ever turned it on while the car was running. A lumpy cam, Hooker headers, and Flowmaster 40's make a pretty good soundtrack. But at least the stereo was easy to hook up ;)

16. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    #16 Meister, Oct 27, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
    I run a lead substitute in my 66's which can be found at Walmart, NAPA etc... never had a problem in over 15 years.

You should be more concerned witht the octane you need to run in it. Period LS-6 ran 11.25-1 compression. Which doens't respond well to 89 octane. In fact in the day, it was desgined to run 100+

I guess I don't know what they did internally to the car, so this might not be an LS-6 repo or it could be LS-5 spec 454 which would be 10.25-1. Either way, you would want to check/get the internal engine spec and ratio to find out your minimum octane range.

17. REMIX

Well, I'm lookin' forward to seeing what they'll do on this today. Can't guarantee anything, but appreciate the advice.

I keep fantasizing about pulling up to appointments with this thing while other agents are in their BMWs, Volvos and Benzes. Seems pretty eccentric but that's totally up my alley! Good way to stand out!

RMX

18. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Yes, 30k will get you a real one in this soft market. 20k would be more like it and the lead issue would most
    likely be a non issue. It takes alot of miles to get valve resession issues with non hardened seats. 50k miles
    or so. Just my opinion. Been there a few times.

19. REMIX

I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks to get one locally that I can see and touch beforehand. This dealer is well known to me and I trust him. I passed on a gorgeous # matching LeMans Blue on blue 327/350 68 Corvette Vert with both tops a month ago merely because it was too far away for me to see in person (Shreveport, LA) and I had a hard time finding an NCRS guy to look at it for a PPI. Also, enclosed ship fees would have driven the price up. 6 of one, half dozen of the other IMO. Finding one here for 20k is gonna be tough. Finding a real one down here for 30k is probably impossible.

RMX

20. Jaws

Jaws Karting

Nov 30, 2006
    New England - USA
    #20 Jaws, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
    This Chevelle has a bid of US $16,100.00 right now. Biding ends in less than 24 hours.

21. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    The octane ratings from the muscle car heyday (1960s-very early 1970s) were based on the Research Octane Number (RON). Since 1978, octane on US gas pumps has been rated at (RON)+(MON)/2. There is generally about a 10 point difference between RON and MON. The L88 Corvette came with a 12.5:1 compression big block. There was a dash plaque mandating the use of 103 (RON) octane gasoline. Today that would be about 98 (R+M)/2.

22. REMIX

#22 REMIX, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. hotrod406

hotrod406 Formula Junior

Sep 18, 2007
    Grand rapids area,MI
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nice! I'm a modified car guy myself so I like the updates. My Vette was original when I got it and now....not. I do still have all the parts I took off though. Aside from the wheels I did some minor suspension upgrades and installed an LS3. Here's a pic of it in the Rockies, 1300 miles away from home. Let's hope you can get yours out and put some miles on it. There's plenty of room for luggage in there, ha!

[​IMG]

24. Congratulations! Your car looks like someone put a lot of love into it.

25. REMIX

#25 REMIX, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
    All I have to say is thanks to you guys at FChat for the guidance.

I have a lot to learn about this car. I'm no stranger to turning a wrench on old Chevy motors, but there are a lot of unknowns here. I'm certainly not used to having a carburated vehicle sitting in my garage...lots of new smells. Reminds me of what my old shed smelled like at the last house with my riding mower inside. I'm not sure where the redline is on this engine, either. I revved it last night coming into the neighborhood and heard some belt squeal...will have to look into that.

Few things as well, the emergency brake does not work. I will get that fixed as soon as I order a service and assembly manual. I did buy a repro owner's manual and owner's manual book off of eBay last night.

I signed the last piece of paperwork literally 2 minutes before an appointment yesterday and took it to meet the other RE agent at one of my commercial buildings down the street. "Wow, so cool...a hot rod," is what the agent said. Nice to have something different than a Benz or a BMW which is about all you see on the road here. The agent was in an E Class and his client in a Lexus SC430.

FWIW, I paid a good portion in cash, the rest with Woodhouse (?). It's like $233/mo, no prepay. I was tempted to pay the whole thing in cash, but this works out nice considering the economy.

Now I still have to replace my Acura when the time comes.

RMX