V6 Stang 300hp finally | FerrariChat

V6 Stang 300hp finally

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by mercedesbenze55amg, Nov 29, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mercedesbenze55amg

mercedesbenze55amg Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2004
    Plymouth Ma.
    Full Name:
    J. Nutter
    Well they finally went up in hp for the 6cyl its using a duratec unit. Thank you camaro for making this happen

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    competition improves the breed...

I had an '06 Mustang GT (4.6 V8) that "only" had 300 horsepower... amazing to get that in the base V6 now!

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Unfortunately you still don't get that sound. And that's the only reason I would ever consider a mustang. The design still needs work (a lot of it).

4. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Sorry, but it you buy a V6 pony car, your a sissy....

5. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    #5 AnotherDunneDeal, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  6. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    They haven't yet announced the GT stats...

5.0 DOHC Aluminum engine. A tad over 400 hp, 6 speed gearbox. Also, the new Mustang GT with the track pack is as fast as a current M3 around Gingerman. Thats impressive :)

7. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    my 8yr old M5 has a 4.9L w/ 394hp and a 6pd gear box and does not have rear suspension from a truck. Where's Ford been?
    GT as fast as M3 is impressive.
    To me the most impressive thing about the new stang is the quality of the interior vs the prior model. Well done here.

8. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Had that BMW cost what? 55-60K then? A new GT will be like 35K....

9. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Just like how most people compare BMW cars to others. Cost.........

The build quality of the M5, M3 or M6 far surpasses any Ford or Chevrolet product. Yes, there are others out there that may be faster or have more horsepower but how do they compare across the full spectrum. I mean, a supercharged Supra (gag) can out accelerate an Enzo. Which would you rather have? But, the Supra only costs a fraction of the Enzo.......But which would you rather have...........?

I think the new Mustang is a vast improvement over what Ford produced before and I would drive one. But would I rather drive the BMW? Absolutely........!!!!

10. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Yes, M3's carry that snob factor as long as you are driving the dealer-serviced special that BMW offers. Once out of it... Which of these cars has the long term reliability/ quality?

That said, Mustang's don't try to steal business from BMW clientele.

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Totally wasn't my point. I was refering to the fact that the BMW had that power/tranny years ago, but was a much more expensive car....

12. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    For the life of me, I can't understand why they don't offer AWD on the Mustang. Even a basic layout adapted from the Ranger would be worth the engineering costs for the additional sales they'd receive in Northern areas.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    As an prior owner on an e34 M5. e36 M3, e39 M5 and e60 M5, I find the build quality of the new Mustang as good or better than BMW...especially the new Shelby GT500. In fact, I replaced my daily driver e60 M5 with a MazdaSpeed3 GT, and it is on par with a new BMW as well. It appears to me that while other marques have moved upscale, BMW is moving down.

14. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Um... because there is so much more to adding AWD to a car than just taking adapting the 4x4 unit out of a ranger...

First off rangers have a two speed transfer case... they are not designed for full time 4wd use. They are not designed to be used at speeds of over 50mph possibly 60mph... but definitely not for use in a 300-400 hp mustang where people will be driving them to 100mph. Adding awd is MUCH more expensive than you think. You have to have a place for that transfer case to go... which is under the car... so you are either going to have it hang down, or you will have to modify the floor pan (basically a new design) to make it fit. IF you used a proper AWD transmission, it will likely be larger and again, the floorpan would have to be redesigned. IT will need to be redesigned to run in both AWD and RWD configurations. Then you will need to make room from the front driveshafts, through the suspension, as well as the hubs and brakes. After this you will have changed the weight of the car so suspension tuning will be in order, so new sets of shocks and springs... since the front end of the car is significantly different, crash test might be necessary.

It really isn't as easy as many people think... and its TONS of new tooling cost for a very limited market.

15. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin

where has ford been????

they have been selling cars around the 20-30k dollar mark. BMW was selling a 75k dollar car. And a 75k dollar car that was based on a 40k dollar 5 series... so baisically they had the entire cost of a mustang GT in "modifications" to a factory 5 series to create the M5. that buys alot of engine... It is much more difficult to create a car from scratch and have great performance for 20-30k than to take a 40k dollar car with already excellent engineering and sophisticated suspensions etc... and add 20-30k to it.

Having said that, I am as big of a fan of BMW as I am Ferrari, and the E39 M5 is an EXCELLENT car. Probably one of the best BMWs ever built. One of the most reliable cars they have ever made

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I completely disagree with the BMW is moving down statement. They have pushed the bar further and further everytime. Yes Mazda and ford and GM etc... all have very good build quality now. Things are screwed together now, paint no longer flakes off of the roof of these american cars, panel gaps are tight. but there materials are no where near the same quality. They look nice, but the feel and weight of them is something else. Also, go take a look at the new 7 and the hideous 5 series GT and tell me the build quality has gone down. Even the X5 is beautifully built

17. kosmo

kosmo Formula 3

Oct 19, 2008
    BIg D
    thats a fair point. the M5 sticker was 72ish. the Stang prob 30ish.

18. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    An AWD Mustang? No way!

19. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The peeling on my steering wheel on my 2007 says otherwise. I'm highly disappointed in that aspect. And it's a huge issue because of the EU's water-based bull**** system on everything. The paint sucks too.

I love my car, but those issues annoy the hell out of me.

20. ProRallyCodriver

ProRallyCodriver Formula 3

Oct 25, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave Shindle
    BFD, my 4 cylinder has 300+ WHP and AWD. Boost!
    Had a 6 cylinder Mustang years ago. It was a turd. Sold it after a couple months and too many issues.

21. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    if you want to see crappy paint.. go look at a land rover... REALLY close... there are fish eyes dirt, and runs on the edges of the paint... also go look at a black chrysler or Ford... holly crap it sucks... The paint on ferraris is pretty crappy too! The steering wheel peeling... well if it is on the rim... its because of acidic hand lotions. if its the facia with the radio buttons it could be due to certain cleaners... and yes BMW did have a problem with peeling on the "coated" parts of the entires, but they have learned there ways. Also, I have an 07 3 series and an 08 X5 both with about 24k on them... interior is pristine. sometimes **** just happens to some cars.

22. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I guess you're right. It must be impossible to retool for a very limited market. Ford only sold 91,000 Mustangs in 2008. Take a guess at the volume of G37 Coupes Nissan pushed out the door the same year ? BTW, AWD is offered. Saab 9-3 ? Yep, AWD was offered and sales weren't quite near the Mustang's. How about the Chrysler 300 ? AWD is there, but sales were a little down on the Mustang by about 30,000 units. Same for the 3 series coupe. Ridiculous they offer AWD, isn't it ? They should know better ;)

23. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Doesn't really make sense to compare any of those cars to a Mustang though....

I myself, will never own a AWD car again. Don't like the added weight, change of weight distribution, loss of steering feel, and it totally changes the way are car drives IE makes it less "fun".

24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Why don't you name every AWD car made?

I am not saying that there isn't a market for it. You just have ZERO understanding of "adding a 4wd system from a Ranger" a ranger system CAN NOT be utilized without everything that I stated before.

here is the other gigantic thing that you are missing. ALL of the cars you mentioned were designed from the beginning to incorporate AWD. The Mustang was not. It was designed as a RWD car and therefore would be cost prohibitive for the manufacturer to try to reinvent the wheel to make the car AWD.

Put your suggestion into Ford... who knows... maybe next time around.

There is a market, absolutely. Your suggestion of just slapping a ranger system into is simply not possible. Plain and simple. Ridiculous isn't it?

25. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    First off, the thought of an AWD Mustang makes my stomach turn. Let's make an AWD corvette while we're at it? I'm all for a sporting AWD platform for Ford, namely, the next gen Focus RS (technically the next-next gen). And also the SHO... MKS, Montego etc. are all fine having AWD ... and really, except for the Montego, are great cars.

The Mustang isn't the kind of car that will do well with AWD. Thankfully, that will never happen :)
    Are you going to tell me that RS4 has less steering feel than a G37, Camaro, Mustang etc. ? Added weight, sure. But on the 997 Turbo, the AWD adds about 50 kg to the weight of the car. That is not much; and 99.995% of people will not feel the weight differences even on a race track. On that note, the Gallardo feels great to drive, as does a Lambo VT, and Ur Quattro.

AWD engineered into a car is different than cars that have AWD as an afterthought, IE, BMW X drive... call me biased, but its worthless ;)