Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > American Muscle

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Sanjay
Hoosier makes the exact tire sizes you need, even the oddball 315/40 rears. Totally agree w you...stock hp is more than enough for track work. Mine is way too overpowered for that now, so I use my ZR1 for the road courses.....
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Lee
Sabjays cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorV8 View Post
Hoosier makes the exact tire sizes you need, even the oddball 315/40 rears. Totally agree w you...stock hp is more than enough for track work. Mine is way too overpowered for that now, so I use my ZR1 for the road courses.....
I checked your profile and you have a wonderful car collection!

How does your M5 compare in driving? You said you had a ZR1 I would love to hear your view on the M5 and the ZR1

Lee

Sorry I mistyped Sanjay
Old 02-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

I'm a huge fan of the old E39 M5.....it's still one of the best 4 doors for the enthusiast, but even with the A&A twin centrifugal blower setup, coilovers, and Brembos, it's no performance match for a true supercar like the C6ZR1. It has an extra 100 hp, and weighs 800 lbs less, has a far wider track and lower CG than the M5.

Both are remarkably civilized daily drivers though, and the stealth factor of a relatively low key 4 door that can run low 12s in the 1/4 is part of my modded M5's appeal. The old school BMW high effort steering, perfectly weighted clutch and shifter, rev happy V8, and leather wrapped interior will never get old for me.

Now, in 2001, the M5 vs my 1990 ZR-1 was a great matchup of early 32V V8 performance. Both of those cars were evenly matched despite the fact that one of them was a 4 door sedan.... ;-) The C6 ZR1 is just in a different league....
Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Lee
Thanks Sanjay

Quote:
I'm a huge fan of the old E39 M5.....it's still one of the best 4 doors for the enthusiast, but even with the A&A twin centrifugal blower setup, coilovers, and Brembos, it's no performance match for a true supercar like the C6ZR1. It has an extra 100 hp, and weighs 800 lbs less, has a far wider track and lower CG than the M5.

Both are remarkably civilized daily drivers though, and the stealth factor of a relatively low key 4 door that can run low 12s in the 1/4 is part of my modded M5's appeal. The old school BMW high effort steering, perfectly weighted clutch and shifter, rev happy V8, and leather wrapped interior will never get old for me.

Now, in 2001, the M5 vs my 1990 ZR-1 was a great matchup of early 32V V8 performance. Both of those cars were evenly matched despite the fact that one of them was a 4 door sedan.... ;-) The C6 ZR1 is just in a different league....

Lee
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 AM
Three Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: HUBBSTER
I have a stock 2002 M5 also, great car but its a Stealth Ship and nowhere near as fast as the GT
Old 02-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

For sure. Even though mine is supercharged, the GT has as much power and weighs 800+ lbs less. No contest.

But back in 2002, the M5 was pretty much king of the hill......and in many ways, it still is, among sedans, anyway.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Did anyone ever hear of or see results of a design clinic?

Automakers sometimes are unsure of the way to go in a new car design so what they do in that case is
hold a design clinic where they have a life size clay on display looking more or less like the final design, and then they put three or four other cars around that are already in production and have a long questionaire where they ask "which car do you like the headlight treatment on?" Yadda yadda.(they might give you $50 to attend plus free appetizers) I accidentally got invited to the F-type Jag. clinic when I was a Ferrari owner (they invited people based on what they own). Now my question is: I have pictures of the eventual '05 Ford GT when it was still in the clay model stage where it had a short stubby nose but when it came out in production the proportions were more or less like an upscaled original. So I'm thinking:

--they must have had a design clinic

--the short nose version must have gotten shot down by people who wrote on their
questionaire "I wouldn't consider it unless it looked like the original."

So my question is: did anyone in the Ford GT owning community ever hear if they had a clinic and where it was (which cities) and if the tabulated results were ever seen by anyone outside of Ford?

Thanks for any news on this...

Ps I think they are trying to revive the car again but this time only GT40 inspired with a more modern take on the original '60s car (Camilo Pardo drew a cover for Road & Track a few months ago showing this direction).
Old 04-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Joe A
Quote:
For sure. Even though mine is supercharged, the GT has as much power and weighs 800+ lbs less. No contest.

But back in 2002, the M5 was pretty much king of the hill......and in many ways, it still is, among sedans, anyway.
I beg to differ! In 2002 the Z 8 was king of the hill.
Did everyone see that the GT just set the Texas Mile record at 257.7 MPH!!!!!!!!

Joe
Old 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Isaac not Issac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitzman View Post
Automakers sometimes are unsure of the way to go in a new car design so what they do in that case is
hold a design clinic where they have a life size clay on display looking more or less like the final design, and then they put three or four other cars around that are already in production and have a long questionaire where they ask "which car do you like the headlight treatment on?" Yadda yadda.(they might give you $50 to attend plus free appetizers) I accidentally got invited to the F-type Jag. clinic when I was a Ferrari owner (they invited people based on what they own). Now my question is: I have pictures of the eventual '05 Ford GT when it was still in the clay model stage where it had a short stubby nose but when it came out in production the proportions were more or less like an upscaled original. So I'm thinking:

--they must have had a design clinic

--the short nose version must have gotten shot down by people who wrote on their
questionaire "I wouldn't consider it unless it looked like the original."

So my question is: did anyone in the Ford GT owning community ever hear if they had a clinic and where it was (which cities) and if the tabulated results were ever seen by anyone outside of Ford?

Thanks for any news on this...

Ps I think they are trying to revive the car again but this time only GT40 inspired with a more modern take on the original '60s car (Camilo Pardo drew a cover for Road & Track a few months ago showing this direction).
Camilo hasn't worked for the Blue Oval since 2009 I believe. Last year, there were some rumblings that this might change. I'm not so certain.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Silver Subscribed

Taking the GT to track 1st time to Daytona for Jeff's celebration party

Just ordered racing brake pads, new wheels, slicks, harnesses & a transaxle cooler
Old 04-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Silver Subscribed

A few pics from Jeff's Celebration event at Daytona & Orlando
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona 1.jpg (59.8 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg CCW Blue 1.jpg (65.4 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg Celebration Platinum JPG.jpg (98.4 KB, 397 views)

Last edited by WILLIAM H; 04-15-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:33 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tony
Looks great William, careful out there. Let us know your thoughts after racing it.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-15-2012, 08:20 PM
Four Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIAM H View Post
CCW wheels? what tires?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:33 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Troy
My Garage
Car looked great with the race wheels and slicks William. Was sweet to watch you blast that car around the track. It had to be one of the fastest cars there for the touring class.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334539970.512917.jpg (78.2 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334540013.274195.jpg (50.6 KB, 365 views)
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
CCW wheels? what tires?
Yes w Hoosiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna1994 View Post
Looks great William, careful out there. Let us know your thoughts after racing it.
Its like dating, I liked the car before but after driving it at speed now I LOVE the GT
Old 04-21-2012, 07:02 PM
Silver Subscribed

My GT seemed a bit stiff when I got it with about 2400 miles

Now after Daytona it seems so much sweeter & seems to pull harder, maybe its just broken in now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Daytona Cropped.jpg (82.2 KB, 275 views)
Old 04-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLIAM H View Post
If you squint, it's 1965 again!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Silver Subscribed

Yeah Baby!!!!!!! My GT is Shagadelic
Old 04-25-2012, 08:34 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Like the wheel color choice!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Silver Subscribed

I wanted them to match the stripes but they gave me electric blue instead of indigo blue I asked for

Oh well, they are just track tires & they work so thats good. Good to differentiate them from the wheels on the Vette, F40, & 512TR as well
Non-Sponsor Ads