Saleen S7 Bad Paint Job? | FerrariChat

Saleen S7 Bad Paint Job?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by *fill-up*, Jan 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. *fill-up*

*fill-up* Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Phillip K
    I looked at a yellow saleen s7 at Gold Coast that I was considering buying since its my dream car, but when I saw the car in person I almost threw up! There was lines and flaws all over the car, literally looked like the whole car was dipped in bondo and painted with house paint!

Please tell me that not all saleens are like this!

Thanks!

2. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Not all Saleens are like that; no S7 is perfect, or perhaps even "good" depending on what you are expecting. It is IMHO even more race-car than the Enzo Ferrari is. Feel free to browse some of my ~old~ pictures of the S7 about 100 ft. away from me here

I've heard the n/a engines are less reliable. There is an owners forum that isn't terribly active, however, there is good information there. Saleen S7 Forum

The old joke about the Saleen facility on 15 mile was that they had state of the art paint booths with $14/hr. painters.

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    That's funny. I visited that facility (the old AMT) model factory several years ago when they were making the Saleens. I wouldn't have described it as state of the art. :D

4. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Before or after the Ford investment? maybe not SoTA... I differ to your expertise ;)

5. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I saw a new one at a local dealership. I also saw two others at a spouth Florida car show

As I remember they looked good from 30 feet distance. As you got closer they looked like a kit car. They had very ugly rivets at the bottom of the doors and the fit and finish was very bad.

The big surprise was the motor had a weird niose when given gas. it sounded like nuts and bolts in a coffee can. Not a very nice sound. As I remember they had two hps.

This car came up a few years ago on this forum and somebody said the cars where so bad they could not be sold in Calif. He was challenged on the statement by another poster. He then put up the exact language on the Calif court rulling and details.

I would avoid that car. oh and they lost reverse alot. Most I saw including the new car at the dealership had no reverse.

If it was my choice I would by a Mosler which looks the same, is still made and has Corvette underpinnings so it is easy to have stuff done and they are very trouble proof.

Good luck :)

Lee

6. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    While the bolts are on the outside on some parts of the car, my feel for fit/finish compared to the Mosler are pretty much opposite; and noting that neither are "great" with fit/finish. Yet, the S7's race pedigree is 2nd to none. The twin turbo cars are known to be better than the original n/a cars.

7. zxttfan

zxttfan Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2009
    St. Louis
    I remember reading somewhere where Mosler ceased operations last year. Can someone confirm?

I've only seen one in the wild and it looked to have pretty good fit and finish. There is an Mosler owner on the other site that might be able to give you some insight if your considering one instead of the Saleen.

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    now that's a good question. i was through there in '08.
    When did Ford put $$ in there?
    At the time,they were working on a boatload of Mustangs as well,but couldn't remember any "official" Ford ties.

9. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I just called Mosler Auto and talked to a nice lady named Silva. They are still making cars. She also told me they can come pick up my Mosler and do service if needed.

Yes I do own a mosler. To someone commented, the fit at finish on the Mosler is very good. it should be because they are hand built.

My only mention would be the car creaks a little because of the light material used to build it. It is a tube frame with a very light body, 150 lbs. if I remember correctly. At at the time I bought my Mosler it was the only certified car with a 100% carbon fiber construction. The car has a Vin number so getting it registered for a plate is not a problem. Some cars that are from a small manufacture give you an MDO and you have to work it out with your state.

As a side bar they have a two year warrenty with the car and they seem to stand by it although I really have not had any problems with the car.

Lee

10. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Another Mosler owner here. I originally considered the S7 as well but the Mosler just seemed to fit me better. The finish on my car is spectacular and I would consider it a show quality paint job. If you search Candy red Mosler it will likely be my car.

The Mosler lends itself to owner modification very well and I have exchanged the original motor for a 820 HP Duttweiler LS-2. With the triple disk carbon clutch and light weight fly wheel the car is faster then anything I have ever experienced. Possibly faster then my ZX12 Ninja.

My guess is the squeaking noise is the heim joint suspension pieces. My car does the same thing a little bit annoying but I only experience it when pulling into my drive.

I believe Mosler will build a car on order but they are definitely slow at best.

11. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    Forgot to mention the Mosler is usually about 100K cheaper.

I remember a used one recently asking 250K.

12. *fill-up*

*fill-up* Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2011
    Orland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Phillip K
    I appreciate all the reply's, I do like the Mosler but the Saleen just sticks out to me since I saw it in a magazine back in 03. I am in no rush to buy one so I will just wait for a newer TT in Liz Stick red or Silver (hopefully they will be better quality then yellow).

One of the main things that I really liked about the S7 was the ford influence which I always assumed since 03 meant reliability... until the past week when I have just been finding out more and more bad things lol

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay

To my understanding, the factory is closed, and nothing is in production. The Raptor was scheduled to be produced but legal issues are holding up production

14. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I love the lines and race history of the S7, short as it was. But I have to agree with the others. I worked at a Saleen Ford dealer, and we had two in that I could look at close up. One on display, the other trashed its trans. Up close, fit and finish were horrible, worse than the mustangs they did from 2005-2006. Pieces broken, panel gaps not tight, stuff didn't work. Really was a let down. Looked like a kit car.
    But I will say I've seen one that was perfect, and it was gorgeous. But to consider one, might as well expect to treat it like a race car. Money wise too...

15. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    By 2008, Saleen was a shell of it's former self, and I believe they had already closed down their Irving, CA facility, and Saleen Store. It was pretty unique back in 2005-6. The Ford investment was in 2003-4. When I get home tonight, I'll post some pictures of my tour there. If those pictures were in 2008, then I don't have them anymore, sadly.

16. J. Salmon

J. Salmon F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 27, 2005
    VA
    I think it was 2007 when I got to hear one of the upper guys from Saleen (maybe the CFO?) talk to us at a Cobra gathering. He talked about Steve Saleen's racing history, the S7 (it was built to be an endurance race car, not a road car) and the subsequent Ford GT.

My memory of the events went like this:

Steve Saleen won a crap load of races. The S7 was intended to be the worlds best race car and it was pretty successful.
    Ford wanted to build the GT, but knew that it would not come off the regular assembly line in the shape that they wanted it, so they invested heavily in Saleen including a new facility and paint shop (rumored to be one of the best in the world). Saleen built the GT, but by labor union agreements the motor was bolted in by Ford workers so that they could say they actually completed the car.

The problems came because the investments were so significant that Saleen essentially lost control of the company. The subsequent CEO was the former CEO of Viking Appliances, and had no knowledge of cars, the industry, etc. So Steve left and I think it died. It was a bit of a tragedy really.

17. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
  18. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    It was my understanding all Ford GTs were built at Wixom by Ford UAW workers, so what role did Saleen actually have there ?

19. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Building most of the GT... final assy. was at Wixom.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had high thoughts on Saleen's paint booths... :)

After the GT was done, Saleen was building a bunch of the Viper's body panels.

20. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    it's fair to say the mosler 900 has (had) more development, competing in leman in 2001 even, and involvement from derek bell and son
    the saleen s7 is a strong design IMO, to bad were poorly buit as things went along there, sadly being hand built doesnt ensure 'best' quality result
    too bad really, i think the s7 looks even better than the mosler

21. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Competing in FIA/ ALMS isn't the same as being a championship caliber car. The Mosler is very cool, but the S7R was quite successful for years against stiff competition from the Corvettes, the Prodrive 550's, 575 GT1's, and a host of other GT1 cars.

22. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #22 JeremyJon, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    remark was of Moser beginning developed before the S7 began production ....if the S7 teams development work was reflected on the production (especially later models) S7s, it would have been great ....IMO the smaller/closer knit Mosler shop and development perhaps helped it translate better in that regard

23. VF1Skullangel

VF1Skullangel Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2008
    San Marcos, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Saleen's are very kitcarish.

It wouldn't suprise me with a little age they look like sh!...

24. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #24 Heat Seeker WS6, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    A person in our area had 2 Lipstaick red S7's- his name is Jerry. 1 was production car #1 (non-turbo) and it was the one in the Gillette commercials in 2003. The other was the twin and appeared at alot of local car shows. Up close and I thought they had good fit & finish- then again that's just my opinion. I'll post pics when I have a chance

25. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    good for what it is... a race car converted for street use. I believe they are far better than Mosler... ive only seen 2 moslers though.... and seen 5 S7s