1966 Biscayne Restoration | FerrariChat

1966 Biscayne Restoration

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Exotica Motorsports, Feb 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    #1 Exotica Motorsports, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is a car I have been building over the past year and a half for myself. I had three goals, it had to look stock, sound like an animal and run in the 11s. The first two are done but I haven't driven it yet.

I bought the car with a 350, TH400 and Richmond 4.10 posi 12 bolt for $1500. They are super hard to find so I drove 2-1/2 hours away, bought it and drove it home. I sold the 350 out of it right away for $300 and bought a 454 for $600. I didn't know anything about the 454 but when I pulled a spark plug I could read the numbers on the top of the piston as 11:25:1 forged LS-6 pistons. I pulled it down and bought forged rods and an NOS LS-6 crank. The heads were ported and polished with bigger valves and a 238/248 .678" lift roller cam was installed. I put a new 950HP Ultra Holley I top and replaced everything like the starter, radiator, wiring, suspension, brakes, rebuilt the tranny and put in a 3,000 stall converter.

I started the body work in October and I just pulled it out of the paint booth two weeks ago. I just got through painting the interior parts and now it is time to put it all back together. It has been a long road and I did every part of it myself accept for assembling the engine.

Right now I am getting the glass installed and then I have to install the grill and front bumper. After that I have to tackle the interior which isn't going to be easy or cheap because Biscayne parts are next to impossible to find.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That is fantastic!

3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Whoa............pretty cool!

4. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Very cool! I has a '65 Impala myself ;)

5. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    I have had a ton of muscle cars myself but when I was looking for my next project I wanted something that was what a guy would have purchased new for street racing. I had a '66 Impala SS in high school and it was cool but it had bucket seats/console and it was a nice cruiser but it wouldn't have been the car a guy would have bought for racing. When I set out for this car I wanted a stripped down Biscayne with zero options.

6. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My dad new a guy who did just that! Black, no options, just the wildest BBC he could order ;) & then put "cheater" slicks on it!
    I built my Impala in a period hot rod fashion. 327, dual 4's, lumpy cam & headers. Wasn't an SS but had seats from one with 4spd Hurst on the floor. Rocket racing wheels, big in back & raised up with air shocks ;)
    Love the sleeper tho!

7. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    Very cool. I wanted to go the 4-sp route but it will see a lot of track time and I really don't want to break things everytime I take it out. :) feel free to post pics of your cars. I will post some other pics of cars I have had and more on this car coming.

It was a radio delete car so I put the delete plate over the radio holes but instead of just bolting it in I installed a hinge on it and a magnet setup to hold it open. When it is parked I will have it shut so it will look dead stock inside but when it is being driven I will open the delete plate and that is where my temp and oil pressure gauges are installed as well as where my line lock button will be. There is also no visible tach. I am going to buy a tach light and install it under the dash where the front speaker was. Now the tach light will turn on at 6,500 rpm and shine through the speaker grill up onto the windshield. That is the idea anyway, I just hope it will be bright enough to see. I will post pics of this tomorrow.

8. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Cool car! Nice hidden shift-light "heads-up" display - .678 lift cam might not help the sleeper angle a ton, though ...!

9. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Perhaps you should have a "396" air cleaner decal ;)

10. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #10 CK7684, Feb 25, 2013
  11. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Is that the same bronze that made it into the Corvette line-up starting in 1968?

Nice color.

12. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    No. This is called Aztec Bronze and was a '66 only color. I searched the Internet trying to figure out what color to paint it and I came across this color. I really liked it and when I went out and decoded my trim tag I found it was actually the factory color for this car. I just thought that was red primer not faded paint.

I also found out something else. There is a lot of impalas on the Internet that say Aztec Bronze but they are not and I almost found out the hard way. I noticed these other cars are so maroon looking compared to other cars but they say they are the same color. I went down and bought the paint for my car and opened the can, very dark compared to what I have seen so we called PPG and found out that that paint code actually defaults to '65 Milano Maroon instead. So a bunch of people are painting their cars this '65 color thinking it is Aztec Bronze. I am just lucky I caught it before I painted instead of after.

13. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Very cool. It's turning out very nice.

14. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    #14 Exotica Motorsports, Feb 26, 2013
    This is what the dash looks like. I still have some cleaning up to do. I painted it all and changed all the bulbs as well as all the switches so I don't have to mess with it again. The radio delete plate just blocks off where the radio would have gone so I attached a hinge at the top with a magnet on the back of it as well as one on the top side (invisible once installed) to hold the plate up when opened. My gauges are installed there as well as where the line lock button and light will go.

15. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    #15 Exotica Motorsports, Feb 26, 2013
    Here are some of my past muscle cars. Not bad for owning many of these in high school during the '90s.

Chevelles
    1970 convertible
    1971 (2)

Camaros
    1970 1/2

Corvettes
    1972 LT-1 4-sp

Road Runner

Impala/Biscayne
    1966 SS

16. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I'd say you did pretty well in the car department! Not a bad line up.

17. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    +1

18. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I have a 69 Monaco Orange vette t-top just like yours but without the tunnel ram. It's a 350/350 hp 4 spd a/c car. Love the Monaco Orange.

Also, Milano Maroon would be way too dark for your car. Good catch. Not that Milano is bad but an entirely different color. It looks good on 65 vettes with tan interior.

19. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    I agree, Milano Maroon is a nice looking color but too dark for a muscle car. I just think this color fits what I was wanting to build.

20. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    The following is some other cool cars I have owned but I didn't list them above because they are outside the muscle car years.

Trans-Am
    1977 black/gold
    1978 black/gold
    1979 4-sp
    1995 Firehawk 6-sp

Camaro
    1999 SS 6-sp

Corvette
    1994 (2)
    1998 (2)

Lotus
    2006 Elise

21. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Man! Nothing sounds better than a big block V8! Long lives the muscle car!

22. slammed1

slammed1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    new to the site,love your sleeper project,I have one myself waiting to find the right power train combo.

[​IMG]

23. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    Welcome to the site. That's yours? Very cool '66. I was thinking about painting it black or white but I went with Aztec Bronze since it is so rare and actually the factory color. Great looking car there.

24. slammed1

slammed1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes mine,an original 34K mile car I got a year ago after searching for the perfect one. i have always loved the 65-70 Impalas but had a huge itch for the lower optioned Biscaynes or Belairs.

Mine has the 283/glide combo right now but either planning a big cubic inch small block like a 434 to dress like a 283 or like you did with a bigger bigblock maybe dressed as a 396. I have already placed frt discs on,lowered it around 2" all around,and added 15x6 and 15x8 wheels while retaining the dog dish hub caps.

I cant believe that Biscayne or Belair interior pieces are so so so much more expensive than more popular SS or Caprice models,I would have thought different but oh well,got to save some $$$ to get the interior re done.
    Here is a site that caters to 2 door post cars that would love to see your project.

2DoorPost

I will keep up on your progress,thanks for the welcome.

Brian

25. slammed1

slammed1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2013
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Your color is very unique,cant wait to see it completed.