Mustang Thread | FerrariChat

Mustang Thread

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by 550Maranello575, Apr 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550Maranello575

550Maranello575 Formula 3

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    #1 550Maranello575, Apr 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey guys, just thought I'd share what I picked up last week. I paid $1400 for it a couple days after it was traded in at work. I always wanted a Mustang so I figured with this one I couldn't lose. It currently has 173k miles on it though haha. But I got it checked out today and it has no major issues.

It's a really fun car for only having a V-6 and sounds pretty good too! Overall I'm very happy with it so far.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Not bad..

Cobra nose, aftermarket headlights, bullitt wheels.

How's the interior ?

3. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Nice buy.

Can't go wrong at that price unless the motor is puked or a zombie lives in the trunk.

4. 550Maranello575

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    Interior isn't too bad.. I cleaned it up pretty good earlier in the week. I think it was sitting around for awhile and rats or mice were living in it haha. It has a bit of fading on the wheel and the passenger airbag. Other then that it's pretty good. A few small cuts (or rat bite marks) in the back seats, but no biggie.

The engine is in pretty good shape. The only thing wrong with it is a misfire in the first cylinder and the transmission may be going out.

But since it's been sitting for awhile, it seems that the more I drive it, the better it's running.

5. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Could be a simple coil pack, easy enough to change, and the transmissions are a dime a dozen at most junk yards if it comes to that.

6. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    We've had ours since new...97 Cobra.

It has slowly morphed into a dual purpose track/street car.

AWESOME CAR

It still makes me smile every time.

LS

7. 550Maranello575

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    I had my first problem the other night.. I was getting onto the freeway, hit the gas a bit too hard and felt a hiccup.. I looked behind me and it was a cloud of steam. I thought to myself "Oh S*hit what the hell did I break?" Luckily there was an exit not very far away.

So I pull off the freeway and try to find a good place to stop (The car was still running fine) and suddenly the heat started climbing.. fast! But I found a parking lot by a Buffalo Wild Wings and called a co-worker to come check out the car.

I thought it was the radiator, but thank god it blew its heater hose. So for the next few hours we tried temporary fixes. But frustratingly nothing worked.. The next morning I took it to an Auto Zone about a half mile away before it warmed up. Got a temporary fix and a hose, put more coolant in it and slowly trotted it 40 blocks to work to get it fixed.

Haha it took over an hour and a half to get there.. It's still out of commission though until tomorrow. The engine needs to be bled due to air pockets or something like that. But I'll be happy to get her back!

8. 550Maranello575

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    Nice! I've always loved the Cobras!

9. 550Maranello575

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    Feel free to post pictures/experiences with your ponies! :)

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #10 JeremyJon, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
    looks like a decent car Andrew, a cheap buy for sure, nice!

the incident sounds a bit curious, I'd have them check out the heads too, gaskets I mean, as even blowing a heater hose shouldn't put anything into - or out of - the exhaust like that, it's usually an indicator that some coolant has entered the combustion chamber, so that's something to check out

the cobra r facia and '01 bullitt wheels are a nice addition ....the rears seem really far inboard, maybe they are actually front wheels installed on all 4 corners?? ...but some spacers at the back to move those outboard a little would be a nice mod IMO ...and if you can find a rear wing for that year of cobra, I think would balance out the exterior IMO

the V6 can actually get some added pep pretty easily, a free flow exhaust really helps, some of the aftermarket GT cat-back packages can be made to fit, and a few for the V6 specifically, with nicely adding the GT tail pipes in the process ....the aftermarket also has a few other things for the V6 engine of those years too, the chip is an easy upgrade, and under pulley for those works well too

I've had a few mustangs, a '65, '69 390FE, and '82 351W (many mods) ....I wish I still had pics, but they were lost long ago, but still I remain a big 'stang fan!

have fun! :)

11. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #11 Heat Seeker WS6, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
    My g/f has a red 5 speed '93 GT convertible w/ black top and only 60K on it. Because of her job, racing & etc it hasn't seen the road in close to 3 years but that's going to change very soon. Got a fresh battery for it this last weekend, transferrring out the old gas for new tonight or tomorrow, and a tune up is panned.

I've never tinkered with a Mustang before since I'm an F-body, Vette and F-car kind of guy so Ive got a new animal to learn, but its all fun and good.
    Will have pics of it soon.....

12. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9I8s91t0ig]Cobra Downtown Central Liquors - YouTube[/ame]

13. 550Maranello575

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    I'm not sure how much money I want to put into this car though. Knowing it has a lot of miles and everything. I'm going to replace all of the hoses so that won't happen again, at least for the remainder of the time owning the car (hopefully).

I really do need to get some spacers too, it does look a bit goofy now haha. Also I agree with getting a wing. They're not too over the top and add a lot of balance to the looks.

Today, the problem will hopefully be fixed, fingers crossed. But If not I'm prepared to shell out some more money. Luckily working at a car dealership, most maintenance is about half price.

14. 550Maranello575

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
  15. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    You've seen mine.. I've posted them in other threads..

16. 550Maranello575

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    SVT Cobra R? I'm not sure if I've seen it. But one of the sexiest modern Mustangs made!

17. 550Maranello575

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    #17 550Maranello575, May 15, 2013
    Well, my car has been "burped" and all seems well! I'm going to replace the other hoses when I get paid next week.. I don't want that to happen again..

p.s. I hate parking by the street.. but I hate sap on it even more..

18. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    Yes, 18x9 fr, 18x10 rr.

Great car...never repaired anything on it in 16 yrs. Original clutch and even original light bulbs...

We open track it, autocross it and drive the hell out of it....won't break.

It doesn't make sense.

LS

19. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Dave- You ever track the R?

20. 550Maranello575

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    Wow! That's insane! I wish I could do that with mine haha. Probably not anytime soon ;)

21. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    #21 Davesvt2000, May 15, 2013

Yes, many many times.. Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, VIR, and even Gingerman a few times..

Kind of semi retired though since I got the Laguna Seca

22. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #22 Heat Seeker WS6, May 16, 2013
    Very cool to see!
    Do you know Bruce Cameron or Terry Moenich? They both have '00 R's and I've tracked with them at Road America. There's 2 others that have '95 R's that I've also run with.

Here's some pics I took some of properly used SVT hardware....

23. 550Maranello575

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    That Cobra R is sex for my eyes. Love that car.

24. 550Maranello575

Oct 20, 2004
    Everett WA
    Full Name:
    Andrew W
    I can't decide which exhaust I want to put on my car. I really want Borla, but it's a little spendy. Megnaflow and Flowmaster are my top picks but I want the one with a more muscle car sound. In videos they sound the same.

Does anyone have any experience with ethier?

25. Heat Seeker WS6

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    #25 Heat Seeker WS6, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
    They all sound good respectively but, you should check out some local car shows or cruise strips in your area and listening to what others have is probably the best way to help find something you like.
    Being a V-6, there's only so much muscle car sound that you may get. Any plans for a cam and/or heads? Is a V8 swap in the plans at all?