Buccialli of Bill Tishman:why did he spend a milion and then sell it? | FerrariChat

Buccialli of Bill Tishman:why did he spend a milion and then sell it?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Mar 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Many years ago, back in the '80s there was this man named Bill Tishman of a family that was strong in West Side LA real estate, who saw a picture of a French prewar car called the Buccialli and commissioned three ment o build him a Chevy powered special that resembled the picture. A million dollars later he had the car , which is now in a museum in Oklahoma or some other central US. state. My question is: why did he sell it? It seems like he realized his life's dream. I have seen the car in person and it rivals in craftsmanship any prototype show car built in Detroit. In Car Collector magzine October 1994 it shows it in the hands of Houston collector Jerry J. Moore. Anybody know what he sold it for? Of course he may have donated it to a museum because when you do so, as long as the IRS recognizes it as a legit museum, you can write off the value of the car against your taxes. I am just curious that a guy would spend so much and then dump the car.

By the way when he started it was always throught none of the Buccialli show cars from the Paris Auto show had survived but now there are two of them making their appearances at concours. Also there is a replica made in Holland that's out and about and I saw a black one about to be scheduled for an auction at Pebble Beach that was yanked when there began to be rumors it was a replica. So it's a controversial marque indeed, aside from this replica.

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

one of the most impressive cars/chariots ever conceived of and then created...a show stopper!

3. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    #3 red27, Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Sorry I don't have any info to add regarding Mr. Tishman, but here is a photo of one of the beasts, real or replica I know not, which was at Paris Retromobile this year on the Borrani stand. It is difficult to overstate the sheer size of the thing, it makes a Bugatti royale seem petite - whether you like it or not, it is an attention getter!

Regards mark.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Yea, I could never understand that myself, spend tons of money on a car and sell it shortly thereafter, and not really make that much profit.

5. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    I highlighted it for you.

6. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    When I saw the pics of that from Retromobile the first thing that came to mind was Cruella DeVille... the car is positively sinister.

7. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Things change and money gets tight.. If perhaps he did actually spend a million dollars at the time on the car and wanted to sell it, perhaps at the time it might have only brought $300k.. If he had a large income and could get a write off equal to what he could document he spent on the car it may well have paid him to donate the car to the museum. In a car like this if you keep track of every dime you spend on the project it can end up being a lot more than you would think.