Fiero NORTHSTAR Project | FerrariChat

Fiero NORTHSTAR Project

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by DANCER308, Mar 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #1 DANCER308, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Why? Because I could!

I bought a new Fiero in 1985, drove it for 10 years with no problems. Really enjoyed the car. I decided to buy another one in 2004, a 1988 4 cyl, with the intention of doing a body and engine swap. The body swap was going to be either a Ferrari or Lambo. But, I would leave the Pontiac and Fiero badges on. After the engine swap was done, I noticed that there was a lot of jaw dropping when people saw the Northstar in there. If the car was exotic looking, a large engine would be expected and there would be no big surprise. The body swap was out. I drove this car as a daily driver, a blast to drive to work every day and I figured that no one would pay any attention to a Fiero in the public parking garage.

Pic 1: Here is what the car looked like when purchased, not bad and drove well.
    Pic 2: Original 4 cyl.
    Pic 3: Interior, during a complete instrumentation swap. Found a wrecked 6 cyl and pulled all of the instruments, power windows, electric door locks, subwoofer, electric rear hatch release and probably other stuff that I can't remember right now. My car was a base model without options.

More to come.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #2 DANCER308, Mar 18, 2014
    One of the first modifications made was to the engine cradle. Modified to accept the caddy motor mounts. Next, using the inboard Caddy axle and outboard Fiero axle, one axle was made. There is about 1 in. between the two boots. Caddy wiring harness modified to plug into the Fiero harness. Modified Tach with new capacitor to read 8 cyl. Caddy computer modified to remove all of the Caddy functions that the Fiero does not have. Custom exhaust. Modified shifter for "4" speed auto tranny.

Pic 1: Engine cradle before
    Pic 2: Engine cradle after
    Pic 3: Donor car, 1996 Cadillac Eldorado
    Pic 4: Modified Tach

3. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #3 DANCER308, Mar 18, 2014
    The engine cradle, computer, axles and wiring harness were modified by Design 1 Systems in Oklahoma. The only modifications to the car were removing the engine strut bracket that was attached to the wall between the engine bay and trunk, removing the lower half of one of the deck lid hinge supports and removing all of the standoff supports in the engine bay that are not needed.

Pic 1: Installing the engine. I needed extra hands for this. One person holds up the car and the other pushes the engine under the car. Look at the size of that engine.
    Pic 2: Engine under car. At this point it looked like there was no way. I know that I had measured several times, but...
    Pic 3: It fits with room to spare, well, sort of.

4. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Wow, awesome swap!

5. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #5 DANCER308, Mar 18, 2014
    Thanks Phil.

Many of the guys here asked me how fast it was on the drag strip. I told them "I don't know". I have never run a car on a strip. They finally cornered me one day and off we went to the strip. It was an 1/8 mile strip. They had to talk me through the whole routine. Here was the results, I thought it would be a lot faster but they said that was really good for a street car.

More pics to come.

6. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    .050 light and 2 sec 60 ft on street tires. I smell "sandbagger!"

7. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    He told me to stomp it on the last yellow. The tires do not spin, the car just jumps, and what a ride.

8. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I always thought the Fiero V8 was a cool swap. Nice post.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    very very cool, interesting project.

10. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #10 DANCER308, Mar 18, 2014
  11. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #11 DANCER308, Mar 18, 2014
    Changed the stock wheels. Went with lower profile tires. Looking back, I'm not sure the tires were a good idea. They look great but I feel every pebble in the road. But, since I no longer go to work every day, I guess I can live with them.

Pic 1: Stock wheels. I polished them to a good shine
    Pic 2: New wheels

12. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Cool project. I'm sure it's fun to drive.

13. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    ok,what did you use for a trans,axles,computers,did you just modify the cradle?

14. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I used the tranny from the Caddy. The axles were made from the inboard axle flange from the Caddy and the outboard flange from the Fiero. Used the Caddy computer. Modified cradle, wiring harness, computer, shifter, surge tank, throttle body and plumbing, engine deck lid hinge mount, tachometer, speedometer, throttle cable mount on throttle body, removed engine strut bracket and moved trunk wall to make space for the exhaust system and a few other things.

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Okay I have to ask, you did not mention any suspension work and over the years I have been involved in many projects like this and usually (without suspension changes) you end up with a faster car that is unbalanced with front end plow when you hit the brakes. I assume there were some weight differences between what was and what is in there now.

16. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #17 DANCER308, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    When the Northstar went in, it lowered the rear about 1 in. I cut 1 coil off of each spring in the front to level the car. No other suspension work done. The engine actually sits in front of the rear wheels. As far as weight goes, the Northstar does not weigh that much more than the V6 that could have been in these cars. Even though this car was a 4cyl, I believe the same suspension was used for the 4's and 6's. It does plow, and if I had planned on racing this car I would have done the suspension work, but it is a daily driver and show car.

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I like your Jag (I have a similar one, along with an E-Type)!

Now can you figure out how to shoehorn the Northstar into a Lotus Esprit???

18. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #19 DANCER308, Mar 19, 2014
    Funny you should ask, I almost bought this car. Was making plans to put a V8 in it. Passed on the deal. Ended up with the 308. I'm much happier now. The Jag is a great ride.

19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Thanks for posting.

20. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    That's interesting - I almost purchased an Esprit as well, but ended up with a 308 too!!

The Esprit I looked at was a turbo, but the 308 fell in my lap so I snagged it...I'm happier as well, I love the 308.

21. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Very cool - bet it's a blast!

22. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I actually went looking for my 308. It was one of those things back in '79 watching Magnum P. I., thinking one of these days I'm going to get one of those. It took me 32 years, but I finally got it.

23. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks and yes, it is!

24. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    You could always do the Mera body kit on a Fiero, and people would think you have 2 308s!

Very cool car...I love V8 swaps. One of the guys on LS1 tech has put an LS4/6 speed into his Fiero.....very vool.