Ford GT104: anybody remember when it was in Illinois? | FerrariChat

Ford GT104: anybody remember when it was in Illinois?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Mar 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Mecum has the car coming up for auction in Houston in April. OUght to go for I think about $8 million because they are calling it the first Ford GT (even though it doesn't have the '64 nose) Here is their website with very lengthy description:

1964 Ford GT40 Prototype GT/104, Factory Team Car, Lightweight Chassis for sale by Mecum Auction

My questions are for an article, only confined to when Greg Lonberger of Oak Park IL bought it. First is how did he find it? I vaguely remember he was a supplier to Ford and may have heard they had several GTs for sale, one they gave to Dean Jeffries, one they sold to Gary Kohs for one dollar (yes, one dollar(, etc.

Second what year did he sell it, who to, and what was the asking price? It was restored by Paul Lanzante in the UK.

This also might have been the car that Bondurant did the testing on in the winter of '64 for Shelby when Ford realize they didn't know what they were doing with the Ford GT

I like to think I was responsible for Greg buying the car in the first place, I met him at a Shelby meet and he asked me"What should I buy, a 427 Cobra or a Ford GT" and I told him the GT because it was rarer. Glad he hung onto it long enough to see some appreciation.