Wonderful Vipers | FerrariChat

Wonderful Vipers

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by leead1, Mar 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Everyone is so down on Vipers. I thought I would start a new thread from a guy who owns a new Viper. I also owned a 2009 Viper. The new car is a major improvement. Not only is it fast but now it handles like a proper sports car.

The new Viper has been refined both in and out. I like it some may not. I think all of them are stunning cars and now they perform.

Try one and expect to be impressed. They are expensive but worth it.

Best

Lee

2. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Absolutely agree. The current generation is my first Viper purchase ... and I am a VERY satisfied customer!

The styling is killer ... aggressive and sexy, but just a bit refined. The proportions are just this side of "cartoonish", but i mean this in a very appealing way :) The fit & finish are world-class ... and the Stryker Red color is something that must be experienced in person, in a variety of lighting conditions ... might be the best, deepest "draw you in" color I've ever seen on a car.

I don't mind the manual transmission, personally ... in fact, i prefer it. Had an automatic or DCT been offered, I would still have purchased the manual trans :) but i recognize i'm among the last of a dying breed :(

And the performance of this generation is hard to argue. A Viper TA currently holds the track record at Laguna Seca :) the days when Vipers couldn't handle, or stop, are history.

YES ... it's expensive. But worth every penny to me!

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm not down on Vipers. In fact, I want them to survive as a brand and what they stand for.

My issue is that there just isn't enough people out there to support them to keep going with the current product and pricing. They need to expand the market and change to get more people to buy them.

I don't view this as negative. I view this a very positive.

I've said many times that Viper should be to Lamborghini what the Corvette is to Porsche. Vipers should be over the top and outrageous in design and power.

What Viper needs is some clear thinkers willing to take some new approaches and investments.

4. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I love the Viper as well. But I think they went in the wrong direction with the new one trying to go up market that far. I'd love to see them be successful, especially on the track as well.

5. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    #5 Ray G, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My old 96 GTS. At 35,000 miles I put a Roe supercharger on it. The car never gave me a problem and I sold it when it had 85,000 miles on it. One of the best cars I've ever owned and I plan to get another someday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Webby

Webby F1 Veteran

Sep 12, 2004
    #6 Webby, Mar 25, 2014
  7. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Very cool!!!!

8. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    The new Viper is really quite amazing, with vast amounts of carbon fiber, less weight than its predecessor, and interior refinement. I could not bring myself to pay the freight to upgrade from my current Gen II GTS, but I suspect time will show that the few who bought the new Viper were wise. In the 1960's, the Shelby Cobra also did not sell well.

9. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I agree with that last statement. I wish I had the cash to go buy a GenV Viper (at the near fire sale prices being slung around) and stick it in a warehouse for 25 - 30 years!

Jimmy

PS. Everyone that drives the new car (I have not) says it's great, it's too bad the car is going to disappear (probably)

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Jeff you should have started this thread. You said it better than I :)

Best

Lee

11. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Very interesting about Cobra sales.

Best

Lee

12. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Gen II GTS's are a work of art. My neighbor in Vegas use to have one. I don't know if the exhaust was modified or not, but I could always hear and feel when he was coming down the road. Blue with white stripes and the GTSR wing. It was awesome.

I've always felt the problem with newer Vipers is they are not nearly as sexy and wild as their predecessors.....especially for the cost.

Mark

13. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #13 anunakki, Mar 26, 2014
  14. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    love the plate.

:)

15. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Ok... what's the deal with that PLATE!!!

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    always thought the top on the car looked like it was wearing a toupee :)
    with the top off,no problem

17. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I will own one of these. I'm also warming up to the Gen III cars - very attainable!

18. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Do it! The only reason I sold mine was to get a Diablo. I ended up spending more in repairs on the Diablo than the entire cost of the Viper!!

19. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i believe the orig v10 engine was designed by lamborghini.
    putting it in a truck was how it was sold to the bean counters at dodge/chrysler.
    v10 first appeared in 1992 viper, then in 1996 the truck got the v10

20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have a 97 GTS i bought new and just love the looks of it .. they are a great car very primitive now but one hell of a car in 97... a real classic one day I really think they will catch on .... value wise..
    It is a car I rarely drive but will not likely ever part with.. just love the looks...
    regarding the engine comment,
    If I am not mistaken the engine blocks were made by Lambo on these early cars....

21. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Thank you good sir! I've actually purchased more than one Viper of the latest generation :) ... at least one will be a long-time keeper, methinks.

22. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Grazie

It took some verbal dancing with the DMV to get it. They denied it as offensive until I explained that it wasnt 'white trash' it was 'white rash' which was a racing term.

I couldnt believe I pulled that off !

Dont you know me ? :D

Oh those tops are hideous for sure.

23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    LOL.

never tried it but supposedly the DMV is highly influenced by the powers of suggestion in your license plate description statement...which probably explains a lot of the questionable plates I saw.

24. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #24 4re Nut, Mar 29, 2014
    Thanks Lee et al for bringing some good vibes (vipes? :D) to the discussion.

I worked at a Dodge dealer when the first gen came out and have been a Viper fan from day one. We had a '92 (bought from another dealer for $100K IIRC) and it sat in the corner of the showroom for a few years before moving to the dealer's garage. It was ultimately damaged by Hurricane Katrina and I believe it still (8+ years) sits in the dealer's shop not completely repaired. :(

To end on a high note, my favorite variant is probably the GTS-R...

1998 Dodge Viper GTS-R Coupe
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I like Vipers

Never had one but I appreciate them as nice sports car & American muscle

The new one is a beauty