Best Corvair | FerrariChat

Best Corvair

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Anthony bentley, Apr 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anthony bentley

Anthony bentley Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Looking to import a Corvair to the U.K. to use as a practical classic, which is the best model in terms of performance? I like the idea of a turbo but hear a 140 4 carb is a better car. Any helps or leads appreciated. Oh yes must be a coupe hard top and prefer the later styled cars.

2. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I have had six Corvairs over the years.

The 140 HP four carb car (make sure it is a four-speed) would be a good choice.

The turbo is really more of a collector car now rather than a practical driver.

3. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  4. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    Yes a Yenko would be great, but not as a daily driver around London.
    Yes 4 speed manual is a must.

5. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    If you are driving in and around London, the turbo would be of absolutely no benefit at all.

The 4 carb was a better and faster driver up to 60-70 mph.

6. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    I have had a few Corvairs.

I agree that the 140 with a four speed is the way to go. Get the Corsa model with the extra gauges in the dash. The turbo is just a pain in the butt as far as a driver goes.

My '65 140 Corsa had some fairly sticky tires, lowered springs, quick ratio steering and steering knuckles and some nice bucket seats. It would go around corners well enough to make the carbs starve for fuel (fairly common). That would cause the car to hickup mid-corner and upset the chassis. It could be "interesting".

Look for corrosion on the shock towers in the back as well as the "boot" up front. They are fun cars but not really fast. I always wanted to do a V8 conversion in one.

The Yenko cars are cool. I saw several including the only convertible. Fitch Sprints are also special.

7. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
  8. Anthony bentley

May 20, 2006
    London
    Full Name:
    Anthony Bentley
    So what is the correct title for a 4 carb car. There seem to be a lot of names Monza, Corsa etc, I want the sportiest one with all the gauges and performance.

9. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    For the late model, 1965 and up, Corsa is the package you are looking for with the 140. You could also get the 180 turbo in the Corsa spec.

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #10 jm2, Apr 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017