Primer for the C3 Corvettes? | FerrariChat

Primer for the C3 Corvettes?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by GrigioGuy, May 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Yes, I know about Corvette Forum, etc. Not a fan . . .

My wife has decided she really likes the late 70s/early 80s Corvette. Rubber bumpers and all. She wants one with an automatic. She drives slow, so performance isn't the issue -- she just wants a "pretty Corvette."

It's pretty clear the prices for that particular era car is very compressed -- nice cars don't cost much more than junk cars, and you'd never save the difference trying to update junk to nice. So, what should I look for in one of these? Anything in particular to watch for/avoid? Anything have value, or are they all pretty much malaise-mobiles?

Thanks
    T

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    frame rot, and windsheild pillar rot. the frames rot out just ahead of the rear wheel well, and you will be able to see the pillar rot if you look through the windsheild at the corner of the dash just below the vin number plate.

cool cars though..

4. bosshog8

bosshog8 Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2011
    Pinelands NJ
    Full Name:
    Demetrius
    #4 bosshog8, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    There are a couple versions in that time frame that might cost a little more: 78 pace car and 82 collector edition. Other than that if you know how to inspect for rot etc then be sure to do that in the previously mentioned areas and also the C3, during that time frame, has steel floor pans unlike every other model and they rot also.

5. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Not a big fan of the 78 and 79 models. The 75-78 and 1980-82 models make more sense to me. The orange color is really pretty. Any of these years will make a reasonable car. Just check the usual culprits (frame rot, rear wheel bearings, etc).

6. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #6 ForzaV12, May 26, 2014
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
    I've owned quite a few C3 Corvettes(from 427 69s to California spec 75s).
    My advice is to buy the best and latest example in the time frame you mention. The 82s were really quite nice to drive, comparatively solid and rattle free, have a nice array of creature comforts(flip up hatch is nice too) and actually go down the road well.
    Make the sure all the options work and that the interior is either a nice original or restored with factory authorized resto parts. The small block cars are very reliable and the Ac works pretty well. The brakes can be a weak point if let to sit too long-conversion kits are available that either upgrade or convert to stainless steel. The vacuum system that operates the lights can be troublesome if cobbled together(many feet of rubber line, actuators, canisters, switches,etc. Its taken me some doing to sort a few of mine as folks tend to hack the system. Be careful of "improvements", ie, hotter cams, replacement carbs, monkeyed up distributors,etc. If the car will be primarily a cruiser and one the wife will want to hop in and just go once in a while-leave it mostly stock. Free flowing exhaust, a properly set up ignition and carb will go along way. Cooling systems can also be neglected-small blocks shouldn't run hot-especially in mild tune. I have an old school race engine builder out here in California that knows how to set up ignition(has an old Sun distributor machine) and carbs. He dyno tunes(a lost art, BTW) the car and the improvement in power and drivability is amazing.
    A good set of Bilsteins or Konis are worthwhile and they are alignment sensitive. Rear wheel bearings tend to be neglected as they are a pain to change, U-joints(six of them) should also be checked as should the power steering system that has a tendency to leak with age.
    Good luck!

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm with you 100%. I like the '77 L82 with Rally wheels. That orange is super nice.

Has to be a stick for me, but plenty of autos out there!

Good luck!

8. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I drove an 81 for many many years. Certainly not hte greatest car to ever be, but worked well for what I did with it.

IMPO, I never cared for the 73-79 body styling (without the rear duck tail). 1982 is probably the one to look for as mentioned before because of the additional features. The rear pop up glass is a pretty handy feature.

9. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    ive got a 69' 427/400hp tripower convertible,monza red with black int,sidepipes,p/s-p/b,alarm,99% org,matching number NCRS resto[about 75% done],everything done-just needs paint,i open to offers

10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    imho, anything 1973 to 1982 is pretty much the same vehicle..... but the nicest you can which should be $10-15k at most. i think the 82's have that crappy cross fire injection.

if you could manage, steer here towards a bumper car (pre 72) and maybe you'll have some collectible in there somewhere.

i have a 13k mile 78 SA. if my dad had not bought it new it would be gone.....

11. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I would disagree- a 454 73 4spd is a completely different drive than a 305ci, Cali spec auto.
    The "nicest" C3 in that year range won't fall in that price range either. Although you can certainly find a nice driver in that price range. A pre 73 is not a "maybe have some collectible" -it is a collectible especially depending on options.
    They do have that CFI in 82. Not particularly difficult to service or get parts for. DCS is a company devoted to the CFI system and offers tuning, maintenance and performance parts for the system. While no great performer in stock form, they offer decent power, good economy and reliability.

12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i didn't say nicest... i said "nicest you can" in that range.

13. HardTen

HardTen Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2011
    Ft. Worth, TX
    The C3 "Bumper Corvettes" were produced from 1968 through 1972. The '73 Vettes lost the chrome front bumper but still had the chrome rear bumper. The 74-81 Vettes had some subtle styling changes during the years and some interior design differences including seat shape and design. Personally I like the 78 (25th Anniv. Year) primarily for the badges and the seats. The 81 Vettes are also nice, but I avoid 82's like the plague because of the CFI. There is a reason why it was a one year only application.

14. Ah53

Ah53 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 3, 2011
    HoHoKus,NJ
    Full Name:
    Joseph C Costa