Z06 is 650hp/650ft-lb | FerrariChat

Z06 is 650hp/650ft-lb

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by smooth, Jun 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smooth

smooth Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
  2. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Sounds delicious. Can't wait to see the numbers it puts down.

3. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    That beast is going to move! I just hope it's handling characteristics haven't been hampered too much by its weight.

Mark

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Monster!! Might as well park everything else.

5. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Tell me why I should be buy a 991 GT3 over this new Corvette?

To me, it makes little logic to spend roughly 150K for a GT3 vs a 100K for this Vette. BTW, the ZR1's for about 70K are a monster too.

6. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No reason that I can see-even though I love the 911's in our little collection there isn't enough Kool-Aid in Stuttgart to blind me to what I'm certain will be the track superiority of the Corvette.

7. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I guess it depends where your at and what you do for a living.

1. In Michigan there are few roads where you can realistically use the power of a 500+hp car.
    2. Speeds over 100+mph are a great way for me to throw away the 3 years I spent in law school.
    3. I can barely use the power my Mercedes has, let alone the power of these modern sports cars and supercars.
    4. Their is always someone faster than you.
    5. Even on "fun runs" traffic keeps the group together, I never see the guys in testarossa and Porsche Boxsters struggling to keep up with the pack.
    6. In all likelihood, I would have more fun in an esprit, 360 modena, cayman s, etc than that Z06. Driving crazy fast cars slow is not exactly fun.

8. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    I put a deposit down for a guaranteed MSRP. We are life long Porsche owners.....

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    #6= I doubt it. Try one before you slag one..

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Wonder what it weighs

My 06 Katech Z has around 650hp but only 3000# so I think she still has better power to weight than this new Z

11. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Also interested in this number though I have to admit being very impressed with the work done on the ZL-1 is stunning. It is much "lighter" on the track than it is on the spec sheet.

12. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Still want to see price and weight specs. But 650hp. This thing will fly.

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I fear for the weight. But honestly, few care. You don't see huge press over low weight or even power to weight. But you do see press on hp figures and comfort, quietness (other than exhaust sound) and amenities. Luxury and sound deadening cost weight but sell cars. I am going to guess curb weight 3400. Not horrible, but not great, either.

Problem is a light car will have all kind of road and tire noise and also draw complaints about "cheap" and "flimsy" materials and will appeal only to the lunatic fringe.

Great GT car but I worry that it will not do well on track. Hard to dissipate all the heat and it will work the tires very hard.

My Caddy Wagon has 556 hp but does not even come close to my 505 hp Z06

14. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Chevy does it again! Just the entire "bang for the buck." The car isn't that far off from a la Ferrari, Porsche 918 or the mclaren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Yeah, it'd be great if they made a 3100 lb Z06-R version for the lunatic fringe. Now that'd be a fun car.

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Katech will likely have a 750 or 800 hp version soon w a few 100# less

17. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    I love Corvettes, and have owned a C5 Z06 before, as a track car.

I also love the C7, but I just can't get excited about the C7 Z06. Can't quite put my finger on it; probably a combination of the over-the-top exterior and the blower.

I'm sure it will be a fantastic ride, though, and I bet my views will change once I drive one.

18. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    I agree with most of your points, but I can tell you that my ZR1 handled 95 degree ambient temps just fine at MSR this weekend, terrorizing spec Miatas with the windows up and AC on, with a bone stock drivetrain, on Hoosier A6's. Oil temps stayed in the 260s.

Granted, I do manage engine RPM carefully, unlike some drivers. There's no need to be above 4000 rpm except on the straights, with the LS9's prodigious torque, compared to the LS7. I had the 458 on track as well, and its oil temps never got over 220, if the factory gauges are to be believed.

The cooling strategy on the C7 is much improved, and it will have even more low end, so while neither car is an endurance racer, I think it will comport itself quite well on track.

19. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Lap times? It was Clockwise, so slower than CCW, but I'd expect to see sub 1:22 lap times in the ZR1 with R6s (A6s would last a couple of laps). In my Z06 I run 1:20-ish on slicks on the 1.7 CCW and water gets to 240, oil 305. I tend to thrash cars VERY hard and have driven only one car on track that did not overheat or fade brakes as it left the showroom floor: Lotus Elise. And that car would run 1:23 flat on the 1.7 CCW with just Toyo RA1 tires.

Only 180 hp, but also only 1940 lbs curb weight.

The CTS-V wagon will do 1:27 on the 1.7 CW, which I thought was pretty damned good! But it wants to chunk tires and melt down the brakes in about 5 laps.

20. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Sorry, I should have specified MSR Houston. Was running low 1:40s. 1:20s here would be the domain of open wheeled racecars!

21. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Low 1:40s is getting with the program. What direction?

22. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Clockwise.

23. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

24. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I wonder how much cheaper this will be than a base viper...After sitting in them back to back at Daytona, all of us were significantly impessed with the Z06

25. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Probably $15-20k less, base price.