63 Split Window Corvette wanted | FerrariChat

63 Split Window Corvette wanted

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Yoric, Jun 9, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    I want to buy a '63 Split Window Corvette Coupe. Nothing fancy, just a nice solid driver (no rust/repair frame or birdcage, no hit body) with few needs, preferably with a 4-speed and a low horse engine. Condition is more important than originality for me. I live in Colorado, have $65-$75K in my toy account, and a trailer to travel 500 mi or meet the seller half-way (ie., Rocky Mountain region or Southwest). PM or email me at <[email protected]>. send pics, price and location,

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Any particular reason you are dead set on a 63 split window vs a later coupe?

3. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lJXLalMKSA]1963 Corvette Stingray - Jay Leno&#39;s Garage - YouTube[/ame]

4. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    It's all about that rear window design--works when viewed from outside, doesn't when trying to see out. Wags will tell you to just put a piece of black electrical tape on the rear view mirror to get the same effect but it's not quite the same thing. Since I own several I also know that the later midyears (now C-2's) are better cars with regards to brakes (disc vs drums) electrics, performance, comfort and build quality, but nothing says 60's GM Bill Mitchell design like the split rear window. I want one, even if I sell it later. Again, send me pics, price and your location if you've got or know of one for sale.

5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    the car that made me want to be a designer at GM Design :)

6. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    are you at GM design studio now? I knew Zora but never met either Mitchell or Shinoda.

7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    No,left 5 yrs ago
    Worked for Mitchell during his last years :)

8. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #8 kalinsd, Jun 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Have owned a SWC since 2002, a NCRS Top Flight, 340Hp car. The view out of the rear window is excellent and with the normal quick glance in the rear view mirror, all important information is obtained. Yes, the view from '64-'67 is more expansive, however, they fall short on the iconic beauty of the '63 Coupe.

DJ
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Very nice!

10. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    Nice cars, indeed, especially the SWC.

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    nothing worse than vintage vette shopping unless you know your ****, imho.

12. Turbo360

Turbo360 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 21, 2011
    There is a lot or resources out there on this subject.

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The 63 Split window was quite a car. I had a Daytona Blue with white interior 327/340 hp. It was replaced by a 66 427/390 convert with 2 tops,side mounted exhaust,teak steering wheel and transistor ignition. The 63 had a lot of teething problems like fiber glass cracks esp. body at the 4 angles of the hood which when repaired only cracked again. Interior door assembly was flimsy and prone to breaking easily. Speedo and tach problems. Wonderbar radio wasn't so great. The front end always lifted with speed. The interior void which was nice for luggage, acoustically increased road noise and all the creaks and rattles so common with the C/2's. The shifter was somewhat dainty, and vague,was markedly improved with later years production. All in all though the 63 coupe sure did stir the emotions at the time and currently. I still believe the C/2's were the highlight of Vette production with the Split leading the emotions for many reasons.

14. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    No Truer words were ever spoken, especially with the availability of unstamped blocks. If NCRS judges can be fooled, the average Joe, doesn't stand a chance. They even make reproduction "tank stickers"!!!.

15. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    Hello "DJ"; Is your interior also Saddle Tan?. Only 2 years that Saddle Tan exterior/interior was available 63/64. In my opinion, 1 of the Best Color combinations on C2s.

16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what is the joke ?

how many corvettes are Matching Numbers ? all of them.

17. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Someone can unearth a 1950's ferrari chassis and and ashtray and rebuild an entire car around it and in the ferrari world and it can pass for a 1950 "xx special whatever" and we get worked up over a restamped block?

I'm not saying restamped blocks correct or perhaps even ethical, but ther are far greater sins in the car world.

18. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    AHHHH, The "Slippery Slope of Degrees of Sin". Sure "There are far greater sins", easy to state, when you are not the 1 suffering the financial loose of being sold a restamped block portrayed as Original.

19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    ain't that the truth!

The old hi-performance Corvettes were bought to street race and occasionally run at the drag strip. The clutch would hang up and cause all sorts of carnage. The Corvettes were modified to make them faster and GM warranty replaced a lot of 427 blocks that had holes punched in them. 'CE' replacement blocks are to be found in lots of collector cars today. One big tank 1966 Corvette coupe with only 6,000 miles on the factory motor blew up and had the block replaced. Fender flares were popular as were third tail lights on the C2 Corvettes. Originality in those days meant nothing. Zero. It wasn't even thought of as being important but rather a negative. What was important was making the car faster and if you were smart safer. Things like traction bars or a scatter shield usually came after mag wheels and racing slicks pinned to the rim. The stock drive train didn't like slicks.
    The expectation that somehow these cars will survive decades of abuse and remain in pristine original condition is simply not realistic. Of course there are a few examples of Corvettes that have their factory paint and 'born with' drive train but they are very scarce now and command huge dollar premiums. Something with 12 previous owners and a 'restoration' should not inspire a lot of confidence. That you are buying anything but a used up car that has been rebuilt with a varying degree of skill depending on the people involved in the restoration should be approached with the same caution as a long tail cat entering a room full of rocking chairs...
    CH

20. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Yes, Saddle/Saddle.

Thanks.

DJ.

21. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #21 kalinsd, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Agree. We are lucky owners of a '62 (owned by us since 1970) that has survived the test of time with all of the original power train components as well as it's original paint. NCRS Top Flight Car. 340Hp.

DJ.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I hear ya, on both my C2's I'm a pretty big stickler on correct numbers and dates and at one point had a 69 convrt that had pretty much every engine component on it that the was born with.

Over the years I've gone to the trouble of finding correctly dated heads (that no one will ever see the dates) or correctly dated starter motors etc. Now of course those parts did not "come with the car" from the factory, but they are period correct. Now if a block has the correct part number and correct date code for the build of the car, IMO it's really spitting hairs if nothing is diffent other than some numbers on the front engine pad.

Would I prefer to have a car that I knew had "the" original block it was born with over a date/part correct block that had been restamped...sure.

Now if a seller portrays the block as the born with block and it is a restamp then sure there is a problem, but if all parties know whats going on it's certainly passable.

23. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Your 'last year and first year' models make a great collector pair! Obviously you have been at it a long time!
    Many years ago back in the early 1970's there was a flood of straight axle Corvettes coming into Canada. There was something in those days called the 15 year rule where a car had to be at least 15 years old before you could import it into Canada. The straight axle Corvettes were sort of unloved back then and cheap so lots of them left the USA. Years later when they gained in popularity the Americans came up and bought them back again!
    The only way that you could get a split window coupe into the country was to declare the car as a gift at that time. One enterprising fellow did just that with a 1963 Corvette coupe but the Mounties hounded him for a decade after that declaration. The owner kept the car for a long time as he had owned a brand new 1963 coupe and foolishly sold it after only one year. He really like the 1963 coupe!

24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Both the 1963 Corvette coupes mentioned were the 340HP version.

25. fast&faster

fast&faster Karting
    BANNED

Jun 8, 2014
    Northern Ca
    Full Name:
    Stephen Mark
    The Intoxicating Sound of a solid lifter motor revved to Redline!!!