1971 Hemi Cuda droptop sells for $3.5 million | FerrariChat

1971 Hemi Cuda droptop sells for $3.5 million

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by mseals, Jun 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mseals

mseals Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 9, 2007
    Kuwait
    Full Name:
    Mike Seals
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Matching numbers typically draws top dollar. Looks very nice as a restored documented example.
    CH

3. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    More evidence that money means less and less.

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I think that it's a lot of money for a Cuda..

5. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Wow that's high. I know its an extremely rare car but I always remember when these cars were basically worthless in the mid 80's and I was in my early teens with no money to buy them. I am surprised that it got this kind of money because the muscle car market seemed to be getting to a more sane level where I would actually even consider buying a restored AAR again. There is a point when you don't want to pay 6 figures let alone 7 for a full plastic interior car that needs a screwdriver kept in the glove box to keep the rattles at bay.

6. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Prices like that are usually an emotional purchase where money is no object but who is waiting out there to buy it for more than what was just paid? Ive had many mopars when they were inexpensive. Paid $2250 for a yellow AAR zero rust and owned it for many years and sold when the market started going crazy. Sold my Hemi roadrunner and a six-pack challenger at the same time and got out. Cool cars but out of the big three the chryslers are the absolute worst cars to drive. I could use a Superbird or Daytona once they get back to 5 figures and they will!

7. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Regardless of matching numbers and restoration, NO Cuda should be $3.5M. That is CRAZY!!!!!

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Same could be said about the Dino's. And there are far far more of them around..

9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    With something like 15 ever built it's the holy grail for mopar muscle collectors. Far more rare than a 250 GTO and those go for $20M-$30M... which is more "crazy"?

10. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agreed. To some, the rare Hemi cars are every bit the "exotic" that a rare European car is.
    When you consider that the Hemi is one of the greatest engines ever created, bar none and the cars were the ultimate examples of what happened during an era when the factories were creating street racers and Nascar homologation specials right from the factory-why not?

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    More like 50mil + now if you are shopping a 250 GTO

For all of these older cars now it is a question of too much money chasing too few cars.

12. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Why I don't understand the value is that one could buy a beautiful 318 ci 71 Barracuda convertible for 50K and turn it into a EXACT clone (with the exception of a different digit in the VIN) of that Hemi Cuda convertible for another 50K.

A nice big block 71 rag is what.... a hundred grand, $150000 max. I just don't see the value in paying 3.1 for a hemi car.

13. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    I believe what sets this one apart, is the colour. I remember something about this being the only one, and it is factory mint condition, never really driven. I think there's a white one too, worth about the same.

14. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    And the seller had seller's remorse!

15. BULL RUN

BULL RUN Formula 3

Dec 18, 2004
    Somebody is going to loose some millions on that one. There might be one other guy that views it as valuable as that. Good luck in finding him.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Insane price for this cuda especially when its primary (or only) market is here in the U.S.

Rarity comparisons aside, the GTO appeals globally.

17. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Globally sure, but it also stems from hype. I would choose a number of Ferrari's over the 250 from a special standpoint.

18. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Agreed ...just shows the stupid money has re-entered the collector car market aside from Shelby's the rest are a house of cards.

19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    My first car was a Barracuda in the 70s......horrible car compared to a Corvette.....I don't get stuff like this

20. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Lots of Mopar E bodies were made. Yes, the Hemi option was rare in a car that came with big and small block V8s and a slant 6. The Hemi is probably the most overrated engine ever. The 440 6bbl was a more streetable powerplant and cheaper to boot.

21. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    I've been reading the posts and have hesitated to comment until now.

I inspected this car, although some minor details were not right, they were easily correctable. The car is very, very nice. Not OE Gold, but very nice. With only 7 accounted for, an this car apparently the only matching numbers, four speed existing, it checks all the right boxes. And if is not THE most collectible American muscle car, it certainly is in the top 5, period. Worth every penny. And the next time it sells, if it ever does, it will sell for more.

The Hemi Cuda convertible club is a very small group of 7. Wanna join the club? It is going to cost you. From a low of $1.5 million USD to $3.5 million USD.

JCR:

Exactly how is the Hemi the "most overrated engine ever" ?

I could write an entire book on how the Chyrsler Hemi engine changed the American automotive industry and racing in North America. Infact, many, many books have already been written on the subject.

So tell me, how is it "overrated"?

Ciao and best!

22. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    It's not overrated. It did indeed change the world of racing. Every bit as legendary as the Ferrari V12. It dominated drag racing and NASCAR during a time in which the Big Three were doing everything in their considerable power to win. There were even more radical versions in the pipeline if Nascar hadn't began to limit the factory specials. Its architecture is still used today to power the quickest and most powerful forms of motorsport. On the street they didn't suffer fools and were more expensive than the more common motors to run, so they were not seen on every corner. Even so, the most legendary street racer of all time, the Silver Bullet GTX, was Hemi Powered as were all of Big Willies wild Daytonas out here on the west coast. There was also a 66 Hemi Belvedere than ruled the socal streets where I grew up and raced.
    I had a chance to speak with the original Ramchargers in Las Vegas at an event this year(including Tom Hoover-the father of the 426 Hemi) and listening to them there was no doubt of their and their creation's brilliance.
    The Six Pack was indeed a cool engine package, but its no Hemi.

23. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    #23 V-TWELVE, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    +1
    The 426 HEMI is the greatest production engine ever built. There is no comparison with it to a Ferrari V12 in terms of performance. One just needs to look a Super Stock racing to see just how venerable these engines are.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Well spoken! +1

25. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Finally, a Ferrari/Italian car enthusiast that knows and understands American cars.

You lot are hard to come across!! :)

Ciao and best!