Opinion: Gen 1 Viper as 3-season DD? | FerrariChat

Opinion: Gen 1 Viper as 3-season DD?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by tundraphile, Jul 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Keep in mind this would replace my sportbikes as my primary toy. I commute (100 miles round trip) on the bikes occasionally, but I think I would use the car far more.

So as a car a Gen 1 would be impractical, but it is much more practical than a bike.

Plan would be to drive as much as possible, perhaps 15-20k per year. Not worried about value, plan to wear it completely out and sell it cheap years later.

Opinions? Alternatives?

2. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    No.

Roof leaks, head gasket issues. I can keep going...

3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    No ABS or airbags, zip up windows, lap belts only... sounds about as safe and practical as a bike.

If looking in the 30K price range that Gen 1 Vipers are in, I would look more for an early NSX. Should be much more comfortable.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    no, gen 2 possibly.

5. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I drove my 93 for 10 years no problem. Very durable and robust. Ignorance above. It has a shoulder belt, not just lap. Head gaskets were pretty rare and if they happened happened under warranty with Arrow engines rebuilding the engine. That said, there are no roll up windows, outside door handles and the top is a Tinkertoy afterthought that will leak in heavy rain. I suspect if you ride a bike you are not as big a weenie who cares about traction controls and ABS.
    I missed mine so much I bought a 1992 not too long ago, as I also think the 1 of 200 1992 models have some appreciation potential.

Go fort it!

6. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    If I remember correctly, there is no AC on the 92's ?

7. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    IIRC, A/C was not available as factory option on '92. Not sure if it can be retrofit in today but for some reason I don't think so easily. I think the '92 also has a conventional antenna.

Sometime in early '93 A/C became available. First as a dealer-install then as factory-installed. I would think for post '93 cars it would be in almost 100% of cars that were not used as track machines at some point in their life.

I agree the '92 has the best chance at future values, although they already demand a premium over '93-95 cars. They are basically the '53 Corvette, very few made and a serious collector of the model simply has to have one in their collection. Values reflect this.

To the '93-96 RT/10, at some point in the future (sooner rather than later IMO) Chrysler will kill off the Viper for good. When that happens the value of all older Vipers will start to appreciate. The coupes will rise as well as '92 and pull the other Gen 1 convertibles with them to an extent. A tired '94 that sells for $25k today might not be $100k in a few years, but it could easily be $40k. They will always be much more rare than their contemporary Corvette counterpart. GM has probably made more Z06 models in a year than the entire run of Vipers.

I wouldn't consider the car an investment, but there are ways to buy smart and lose less money than other alternatives. My plan would be to buy one of these "driver" Vipers, spending around $25-30k for a car with perhaps 50,000 miles. Drive it like any other car (except winter and downpour days) and when it is more or less worn out sell it at the bottom of the price range. But by that time who knows the bottom might be $20k for a complete running car. Would be a cheap way to enjoy a car like this.

8. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    I would suggest taking a drive in one if you haven't already.

They are very cool cars however their driving experience is extremely raw. As a weekend toy it is something I would enjoy. After driving one for 3 days I grew very tired of it following the ruts in the road, super hot cabin, and just being a handful. It was fast as heck but it lacked the ability to just be driven for pleasure.

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    No A/C in 1992 and all 1993 A/C was dealer installed. There used to be a kit with a Dodge part number, but it is probably no longer available.

The Viper is just a raw experience and tends to polarize between love and hate. A Corvette it is not. Thank god.

10. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Compared to a Ducati 851 I'm sure it is a couch. Only ridden in one years ago.

11. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Much of the negative information here is not true. If you are truly interested in one check it out. My first Viper was a 92 purchased in 92 and the airconditioner was NOT dealer installed. The top was a bit Primitive and time consuming to put on,but for most part did ok. No it did not have ABS,but didn't lose any sleep over the fact. NEVER had any mechanical problems, gaskets etc. Kept it till I purchased my 97 GTS Blue/White in 97 which I still own now as a collector without any problems. Truth of the matter I bought as it was time to get rid of my Harley!
    Docf

12. Stretch

Stretch Karting

Feb 8, 2009
    Margaritaville
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've put almost 30k miles on my 95 Viper so far. Local miles and many road trips. Anywhere from 200 - 700 miles away from home. The road trips are great. The seats are comfortable, the ride is smooth, and it's fun to have the Viper out.

My suggestions... Look for a 94, 95, or 96 (The RT's in 96 were gen 1.5, the GTS's in 96 were gen 2). The later gen 1's gets you AC, which is nice to have. High flow cats are great for keeping side sill temps down. A modified exhaust sounds great, but could be a little loud for everyday driving. I have a Borla and wear ear plugs on road trips.

The tops can be a bit goofy. Mine leaks more the harder it rains. This hasn't kept me from taking road trips, but I think I'd drive it more locally if it didn't leak.

I would love to daily drive one. Current climate would allow it half the year, but the work parking lot is not Viper friendly.

Good luck!

13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Anyone tried one of the removable hardtops for these cars? If they were less prone to leaking they could be a nice addition, can they travel with the car?

14. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Hardtop cannot travel with the car, as there is not enough room in the trunk. Just like the Lotus Elise. I never liked the hardtop option for either car, because it effectively makes the car a coupe.

15. Stretch

Stretch Karting

Feb 8, 2009
    Margaritaville
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The factory hardtop cannot fit in the truck. The factory soft top can fit in the trunk.

The aftermarket 3 piece top by AP Engineering can fit in the trunk. That's the one I have. It takes up the entire trunk and I have only put it in there twice.

16. silver1331

silver1331 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2009
    that's correct, no production '92s had air conditioning from the factory. Interestingly, I own '92 viper #12 which was a factory test/engineering car. The first 18 vipers built by dodge were used for engineering and testing and actually my car (built March 92 vs first production car in May 92) has AC from the factory and the car was used by engineering (apparently) to develop the A/C system that was later used on the '93 and later models.

17. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B
    Gen 1 Vipers have regular seat belts, but it would be a terrible DD for all the reasons already stated. Any NSX would be a great DD, but the recent prices have sky rocketed. I sold my last NSX in 2009 for $25k and would be willing to buy it back today for $35k, if I could track it down. The Acura NSX is probably the best car I've ever owned, other than my Ferrari of course. I wish I kept the NSX. Damn it!