Willys | FerrariChat

Willys

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Mang, Aug 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #1 Mang, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I LOVE collecting cars...recently got bit by the 'willys' bug and am smitten with these trucks. These are MAN trucks, capable of crushing soccer mom SUV's or driving right over them :D

I acquired this one recently. Gentleman owners before me, there were only two in 66 years, created a unique hunting vehicle with loads of personal touches. The BEST feature of this rig is that it has been garaged kept all it's life and was never repainted. I want to start sharing photos of some of this unique rig as I know how much people like photos :)

I also just acquired a 2nd Willys that is ALL hot rod and bling. I plan to tone it down, and make a cool year round useable 'Tahoe' lifestyle rig. I am busy acquiring some neat OEM canvas tops, side curtains, etc to make a custom cool enclosure and I do plan to cruise through winter blizzards in it...if we ever see any precipitation again out west :/

I'll share photos of that build with y'all, just haven't actually received jeep #2, it's in transit from Canada right now.

ANYONE ELSE WITH A WILLYS? Share please!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #2 Mang, Aug 3, 2014
    Teaser pic...note the functional tilt wheel lever tip. It is animal bone hand carved into a 'face' and the other pull switches on the dash are also hand carved bone. The 3 gear shift handles are rifle handles, one is visible in this pic.

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I always wanted a '33 or '41 Willys coupe...something like a gasser (drag car) - far different than what you have, but I do like it!

4. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I will own a Willy's truck one day. I love those things. But the wagons and jeeps are awesome too.
    Can't wait to see your next one.

5. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #5 Mang, Aug 4, 2014
    Ok then, I like to show off the cool cars :D

I'll show and tell more detail on this one soon (it just arrived yesterday) and tell you my plans for it..., but first I want to see the colorful array of Willys that I know some other fchat members possess?

FYI, that is silver, almost looks white in the bright sun.

This willys thing is an addiction already :)

6. Greg Scott

Greg Scott Karting

Mar 18, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Greg Scott
    Nice Jeep!

Good to see another man enjoys his Willys!

I own 3.5 Willys in various stages of restoration: 1944 Willys MB; 1952 Willys M38A1 (90% done) and an all-steel 1937 Willys coupe with '41 front clip (75% done). Coupe is gasser-style with big block Mopar & 4 speed.

Have almost enough parts for an all-steel '41 Willys truck (will be gasser too).

7. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #7 Mang, Aug 4, 2014
    PHOTOS PLEASE!!

Here is the balanced, blueprinted hot rod motor in my newest...

8. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    #8 ersatzS2, Aug 4, 2014
    Love the Willys CJs. Learned to drive on a '52 age 15, own two now; an incredible column shift '46 survivor, and a restored '50 CJ3A.
    It's amazing to me they aren't more collectible: they are one of the most important cars to come out of the US auto industry. Every off road vehicle and SUV owes it's heritage to the Willys CJ; the Land Rover and Toyota FJ are bald-faced copies.
    I drive mine for errands most weekends and it always gets smiles and waves.

9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #9 Mang, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    Your half cab is awesome. Both are, but that half cab profile! Please more pics, awesome colors too!

I already know of 3 more I'd like to get my hands on....warning* HIGHLY addictive

10. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I'm sure that second one is a hot rod. That's a lot of motor for a little jeep. Paint looks awesome too.

I know where two Willy's pickups sit now. But I don't have the cash to spend on them... So I just keep hoping they won't move.

11. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #11 Mang, Aug 4, 2014
    First comments, I was warned it will wheelie in all three forward gears :)
    and paint is exceptionally nice, it's kind of a show car struggling to become a street able useable Tahoe cruiser.

Second comment, the pickups are cool, after you pick one up (the good one :)), let's trade :D

Here's a shot of very modded interior, it's even got an in dash stereo.

12. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    If I got one in the condition to drive out there, I'd take you up on that:D.
    That'd be a road trip story for years. I drive my Dad's '91 Wrangler every now and then to keep the itch scratched.

13. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #13 Mang, Sep 29, 2014
  14. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Looks great, Mike. Are those 33"s? Amazing how small the original jeeps were.

15. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    #15 Mang, Sep 30, 2014
    Yep, good eye. It was originally set up with 33x12.50r15's...more of a summer/show tire. I really do plan to see it out this winter in the toughest snow storms, so I went with the grippy General Grabbers in a narrower 10.5. The 33" height is perfect for this lifted rig and speedometer is still accurate :).
    I've got 2" fender flares I plan on adding before winter. A lot of rain/snow/debris flys up so for function - a great addition. I think the black lip will look aesthetically nice too? Opinion?

16. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The lip should work well. And that thing is light enough that 10.50's will be fine, down here there's the flotation guys, and the guys running small jeeps and trucks with the tall and narrow mudders. Other than the deep wallowed out pits, the narrower tires out pull.
    Less issue with rubbing as well. How do you like the Grabbers? Don't see as many of them here, mostly Toyo, Nitto, and BFG. They are different, and have a cool look to them.

17. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    I wanted to go with the American Racing 'Mojave' Teflon coated wheel (always been a fan of the Icon FJ series - and these wheels are featured on those builds), so tire choice was somewhat limited. The General Grabbers are cool to me too, so I chose them - that simple. I think their 'look' and my funky tall size choice give the rig some character. I like people's appreciation for these jeeps, brings a lot of smiles and stories. Definitely slows life down. At 6'1" I have to do advanced yoga just to get in, then old school seat belts and off I go.

18. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    thanks for posting there photos. I just closed my business. a family operation since 1926. jeeps and parts were a part. we had an outlet in Havana until 58. sold current and out of production jeeps and parts. one of the cars, a 6x6 may still be in Reno. in the end I got old and no one else wanted to work. all the remaining jeeps and tons of parts went to scrap.