Corvette Museum will preserve the sinkhole... | FerrariChat

Corvette Museum will preserve the sinkhole...

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by James_Woods, Aug 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    I simply could not believe it.

Hemmings Motor News this month has an article on the Corvette Museum - and their decision on what to do about the sinkhole that damaged 8 Corvettes on display under their skydome.

Unbelievably, the board has decided to wall off the sinkhole and preserve it as is, rather than restoring the building. They claim that many visitors came in to see the sinkhole (yes, I can believe that) - and that thus it is an "attraction". The cars have been removed - thus the sinkhole is just that: a hold in the ground.

The fate of the 8 cars damaged is not decided. It has been stated that several are "not restorable, or at least will not be restored" - but two will be put on display next to the sinkhole in their present damaged condition.

The board reserves their future decision to fill the hole in and repair the building "if it turns out to not be a long-term attraction".

Good grief.

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    You underestimate the reach that security video had on social media. I would guess it was significant marketing exposure for the museum. They'll probably leave it like that a few years. Plus, filling in a sink hole doesn't always guarantee a permanent fix.

3. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Well, like the Hong Kong Kung Fu movie king, Run-Run Shaw, said: nobody ever went broke by underestimating the taste of the American public.

BTW - they still had to fix the hole in the sense of building a retaining wall and reinforcing it so that it will not expand and take more floor and cars.

I still do not understand the attraction of going to a car museum to gaze down into a hole in the ground.

4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Museums are about preserving history, and the sinkhole is just that. Of course it is just a hole in the ground, but if it gets more people in the museum and it doesn't compromise the values of the enterprise or waste needed space, then how is this a bad thing?

5. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    They should cover it with transparent flooring and use it to display the cars..best of both worlds, and would look pretty cool as well!

6. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Sad they may not restore the cars...that bothers me more than the sinkhole.

PDG

7. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #7 PaulK, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    That's a really good idea!

Yeah, it's very sad.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

8. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Well, I am getting the notion that nobody except me thinks that preserving this hole is pretty damn stupid.

The justification given seems to be that - "the sinkhole is Corvette History".

I counter with this: Are these 8 cars (apparently not to be restored) NOT Corvette History - more Corvette History than the stupid hole?

I say these 8 Corvettes are worth restoring as they are the real Corvette History - and just displaying 2 of them in the damaged state from the collapse is not getting that.

The sinkhole offers only the history of some pretty bad building design and construction.

9. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm leading a group of Corvettes to the museum this Saturday. I don't believe this decision is the "final" one. Several proposals have been put forth and yes several cars are so badly damaged that they are not salvageable. I am a life member and I was there for the ground breaking and a heavy donator. The board decision re the sink hole is based on attendance and revenue draw. It too will fade in time. The final decision I believe will be made by the board after the labor day/track opening celebration has concluded.

10. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Announcement: Sink hole is now an "attraction"

What it really means: They don't want to spend the money fixing it or it's not fixable without tearing down the building.

11. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Quite possibly. The ground was solid 25 years ago and it was a corn fields then. The only consumer business nearby was a Wendy's and a liquor store adjoining the site. Insurance and private donations and board decisions will be the determining factor. An open hole would not be viable possibly due to out gassing or other such concerns. These caverns go on for miles. The sub structure may not be stable enough to support the reopening of the spire as it was.
    If this was the Ferrari museum in Modena the masses would be giving their life savings to protect/rebuild and reopen it. Corvette owners are a similar breed but the passion is on a different more of an attainable to the average guy level.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    If he said it, he stole it from H. L. Mencken!

Matt

13. resto guy

resto guy Rookie

Jul 2, 2014
    NC
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I see an opportunity for marketing Corvette eating "Tribute Holes".

14. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Perhaps they'll start a new trend in the collector market with this?
    First we had "barn finds" now we could have "sinkhole finds"!

Calling Florida ...

15. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I think it's silly to not fix the hole, but your last sentence is incorrect. Sinkholes don't occur because of "bad building design and construction".

Jimmy

16. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Maybe they should get the pre-2008 bondholders together and they can throw all of the bond certificates into the sink hole.

17. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    It was announced that today that they are going to fix the hole.

Jimmy

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    There is no such thing as a not salvageable car. They should all be restored. I guess some were never treated as cars, but numbers, in the first place so this makes a little more sense ... now is the time to get a life Corvette owners, restore them and enjoy them as cars :)

And yes atomicskiracer's idea of a see through floor is fantastic!
    Pete

19. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I agree with you.

20. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
  21. icecar-1

icecar-1 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2008
    Topsfield/Danvers Ma
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I just returned from the Corvette museum. I was there for the event and motor sport park opening. As a museum founder and life member I agree with the decision. I spoke with several board members and this is the way to go. If you have seen the cars up close you would understand why 5 can not be salvaged. There is simply not enough left to salvage. Historically they are better left as is. The ZR1 Spyder is crushed almost beyond recognition and the Mallet Zo6 is pretty much folded in half. The damage to the cars that went in first is almost beyond reality.
    How much of an original car is left after restoration. Ferrari guys are posing the same question every time a car pops up that has not been seen in decades or is so structurally unsound that what constitutes as an "original" when a restoration is begun may be a completely rebuilt (rebody) when finished. The vin tags on the vettes is pretty much all that remains as undamaged.

22. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I was in Gallup New Mexico on Saturday Aug 23rd and saw 200+ Corvettes parked in a lot and at Cracker Barrel. Asked around, and found out it was a big group out of California heading to the Factory at Bowling Green for the National Rally. They said there would be 4,000+ cars there. Saw them on the road that whole day, as we headed to the Grand Canyon.