2015 Viper reduced by $15K | FerrariChat

2015 Viper reduced by $15K

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by jimmyb, Sep 8, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
  2. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    I think it's still priced high, for what it offers... The Z is a better buy at a lower price point to boot

3. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    Much more in line with the competitor

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Needs a further 10k drop.

5. spdrcr

spdrcr Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I'd agree.

It also seems to be supported by the $20K-$40K discounts being offered on current model year cars.

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Id be pretty pissed off if I bought one before the discount.

7. nickmantia2113

Sep 9, 2014
    Yes same here

8. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    This.

9. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I would believe the Viper would have a better resale value in the long term.

10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Peter Delorenzo pretty much sums up the Viper's travails in todays Rants - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth... column:

How it all went wrong for the Viper.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 at 12:26PM

By Peter M. De Lorenzo

Detroit. By now, most people who follow this industry know that FCA has chopped $15,000 from the Dodge Viper’s sticker price of $100,000, which translates into a stunning admission that the cult sports car is, for all intents and purposes, dead in the water.

How could this happen, you might ask? How could the vaunted Viper end up in the fire sale dustbin, a forlorn afterthought in this red-hot market?

I’m not going to regurgitate the car’s history because if you don’t know it by now, you can look it up elsewhere. I am going to talk about what happened to the Viper after Chrysler went bankrupt, and how the Viper went from nowhere, to reborn, to bust.

Back in 2010, when Chrysler was on the ropes and the Obama administration was forced to give the company to Sergio Marchionne and his espresso-swilling minions for a song, the Viper was officially mothballed. The company didn’t have the resources to support it, and it languished in the “what used to be” file at the now Italian-owned company.

But Ralph Gilles, Chrysler’s chief True Believer and one of the most committed – and talented – executives in the business, just wouldn’t let go of the idea of bringing the Viper back. His team was just as committed to the car as he was and they were all chomping at the bit to resurrect their pride and joy, and thus it was Gilles’ duty and calling to lobby Marchionne to return the Viper to the fray.

As anyone who reads this column knows, Marchionne is a prickly person to deal with. His ego defies gravity, he views the car company formerly known as Chrysler as a cash machine that exists to prop up the perpetually failing Fiat - one of the most miserable excuses for a car company extant - and he views the American car business as somewhat provincial and well, beneath him. Oh, he loves the money alright, and the gushing praise that the intermittently pathetic automotive media in this country seems to bestow on him at the drop of a hat, but beyond that he couldn't care less. And this was the guy that Ralph Gilles had to convince that the Viper was worthy of bringing back to life.

But there’s one more thing you need to know about Marchionne within the context of this story, and that is that he takes a dim view of American high-performance machines. He dismisses them as unsophisticated sledgehammers and completely devoid of the kind of passion that the Italians are known for when it comes to their idea of a high-performance machine, specifically Ferrari, unsurprisingly. Those Hellcat-powered machines that have the enthusiast community buzzing? If they make money, fine, but it’s nowhere near Marchionne’s cup of finely crafted espresso.

So into the breach went Ralph Gilles, lobbying and cajoling Marchionne to let him and his team bring the Viper back. And after a while, Marchionne agreed, but in classic Sergio fashion, he told Gilles he had to do it on the cheap, that whatever the number Ralph needed to pull it off he had to do it for less than that. Much less.

Which, as most suppliers dealing with Sergio and his minions have found out (the hard way, I might add), is standard operating procedure for the carpetbagging Italians ensconced in Auburn Hills. They want something for nothing, or they want to cut a supplier’s number in half before they’ll even negotiate (ask any major supplier doing business with FCA, especially the ones who said “no more” and walked away, and they all say the exact same thing too). In other words, they’re relentlessly cheap bastards, led by the cheapest bastard of them all.

So Ralph Gilles and Co. went to work on resuscitating the Viper, but in the euphoria of working on “their” car again, the painful reality set in: They couldn’t do what they wanted to do with the car. They couldn’t even come close, in fact. So what they were left with after all of that was a “new” fifth-generation Viper that in the harsh light of day didn’t look new at all.

In fact I was there at the unveiling of the “new” Viper at the New York Auto Show that spring and the response was muddled. They brought the old Viper back the crowd seemed to say, but where was the new one? Underwhelming, in other words.

Oh, the Viper-isti were happy that their car was back, but selling to Viper stalwarts wasn’t nearly enough to sustain the car in a market that was simply overflowing with hot new performance cars from Audi, BMW, Ford, Chevrolet, Mercedes-Benz and Porsche.

So a not-so-new Viper was expected to compete in this hotly contested high-performance arena with dated clothes on. Yes, it was a Viper all right, but the newness wore off the moment they took the wraps off of it, and beyond the hardcore Viper fanatics, the car simply didn’t move the needle.

But the death knell for the new Viper came when they announced the prices for it. Yes, it was a Viper and it had gobs of serious horsepower, and it was cool and all of that, but $100,000? An instant nonstarter, especially when you can get a brand-spanking-new Corvette loaded up with decent options for $35,000 - $40,000 less, not to mention all the other serious high-performance machines out there that are in the same price range but that aren’t tagged with the “throwback” moniker or resembling a re-hashed execution, as in something everyone has seen before.

So now, here we are. A $15,000 slash on the sticker price for the Viper. And anyone who bought the new car will get a $15,000 certificate good for a new Viper purchase, although somehow I don’t think that’s going to fly with many people. Not to mention all the bad press associated with it, including just how dismal the sales numbers are for the car, as in 38 Vipers sold in August, total. Yeah, ouch.

Will that be enough? The short answer? No.

If the Viper is to survive, let alone thrive, Ralph Gilles and the True Believers out in Auburn Hills need a brand-new car, not one that is a re-hash of what has come before but an all-new car bristling with everything they know to be righteous and good, including the Hellcat engine. (Yeah, I know, Viper purists just fell to the ground suffering apoplectic fits, but get over it. If there’s a new Viper, that’s what it will be powered by.)

But then again, will there be a new Viper? How about no? Why? Because Sergio couldn’t care less. Take a look at what The Great Sergio is up to (see “On The Table”) vis-à-vis Ferrari and you’ll know why. He wants to get rid of Ferrari Chairman Luca Cordero di Montezemolo so he can get his hands on Ferrari and start dumbing down the brand with his endless schemes of platform sharing while pumping various nameplates up (Maserati, Alfa Romeo) with heretofore exclusive Ferrari technology and calling it good – and supremely profitable, by the way - which for Sergio is the only thing that matters.

Yeah, you heard me correctly. The Master Manipulator and consummate deal maker wants to take control of Ferrari, which, if you’ve been taking away anything from reading my columns over the years is nothing less than a giant pasta bowl of Not Good.

In fact it may be The End of The World for enthusiasts’ as we know it, because The Great Sergio will not stop until Ferrari is but a steaming hulk by the side of the road, a mere shadow of itself that has been brutalized and marginalized and left for dead.

I sense the chill of an early fall.

And that’s the High-Octane Truth for this week.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #11 boxerman, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    Sounds like the plan for the 4c. CF tub but then econo car motor and strut suspension, half baked. the viper to me lookes "killer" but they really could have and should ahve done all new suspension, bringing its dynamics to a new era. But then a company thta puts strut suspension on a CF tub, so what do we expect.

Dumbing down Ferrari, and I thought it was dumbed down already, but yes it could go much further, I guess we should be thankful for tender mercies.
    One upside of Sergios policies is the Challenger gets a reprise, instead of being remade into a euro car like the upcomming camaro/ats, and the cheapness is to slap a supercharger on it and do a nice interior, crude but awesome. So we have a well devloped Challenger which is cool, as opposed to some new model.
    But then can anyone think of any new sergio developed Chrysler Dodge that they would buy. I think sales are in the Charger Challenger Gand Cerokee and Wrangler, the new stuff is hideos and sales proof. The older stuff has been fully amortised and is where the profit comes from.

The one truly authentic car brand left is ironicaly Lotus and maybe AM, and they are on life support.

12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    wow...I generally view PdL as an out of touch, angry blowhard, (his views on motorsports are comically angry and short-sighted) but he got that one right. Marchione is going to destroy Ferrari the way he destroyed Viper...or at least, didn't let Viper flourish.

13. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    "out of touch,angry blowhard" ?
    :)
    that's why he's called "The AutoExtremist"

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ;)

16. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    PDL just figure out it is all about money and not the love of cars ? (for the manuf's)

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have said this before the Viper should have been a 70K max car. It is all it is worth and sorry but with Porsche, Corvette, Jaguar, Nissan and soon MB offering better cars for the same (and less) price it is time to come to terms with the facts. The Viper is done! Hold them if you got 20 years they might be worth something then.

18. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Seems so....sounds like he was born at night, as in last night.

19. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    Agreed. Maybe 80k or better if you really get crazy with the options, but then again, it's a Viper so there shouldn't be many options.

Viper has always been a step ahead of the Corvette in performance, uniqueness and price. But it's not supposed to be some ultra-limited wannabe exotic.

20. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    I agree, same thing with the Evora, 90k is just not worth what you get...

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    True but in the case iof the evora if they made it lighter and with 50 more Hp it might be worth 95K. And when the 800hp supercharged viper comes out for 120k it will have a usp and sell.

22. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd1b18ccH3E&list=PL0NpLqqFBFSKU4MzZo2Edo5TgaEOAg42E]Dodge Viper T/A - (Snake) One Take - YouTube[/ame]

23. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I bought a 2013 Viper at full price. Perhaps I should be mad, not sure. I am sure I like the car, powerful and fun to drive. Some other cars may be better at somethings but the Viper is an interesting niche to drive. Not for everyone, but for some a nice addition to the collection. It is an exciting driving experience.

The value of the car may be waning, I Do not care. I plan on keeping the car for a very long time.

Lee

24. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    when mercedes did the same thing with the SL, they sent their customers a $10k certificate towards their next purchase. class act.

25. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #25 rdefabri, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017