C7 Z06, Gone in 2.95 Seconds! | FerrariChat

C7 Z06, Gone in 2.95 Seconds!

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by TexFerrari, Oct 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TexFerrari

TexFerrari Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Texas of course!
    The new 650-hp Corvette Z06 with Z07 Performance Package (Brembo carbon ceramic brake rotors, Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, and full aerodynamic package) hits 60 mph in 2.95 seconds and reaches the quarter-mile in 10.95 seconds. The Corvette Z06 with the Z07 pack and standard seven-speed manual transmission reaches 60 mph in 3.2 seconds and finishes the quarter-mile in 11.2 seconds. Not bad!

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Good lord! That's very impressive. What's next?

3. Ferrari Envy

Ferrari Envy Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2009
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Cameron DeMille
    That's actually pretty insane.

4. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I love the way my C7 handles. It is a more rewarding car to drive than a 458 Ferrari. The three settings that the car can be set to are awesome. These are great cars. I should derive the higher HP variant.

Best

Lee

5. smooth

smooth Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2005
    Many cars are now @ 3 secs or below.
    Some just look better than others, however !! Lol ;)

6. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Ah now it starts!

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Unfortunately as the case always is, the Z06 (or ZR1 previously) can put up amazing numbers while not looking ugly, but there will always be people willing to pay more money for a brand-name car that performs less than it and arguably isn't better looking (i.e. P, L, and F cars included).

At any rate, amazing stats. Not surprised given how the last gen ZR1 did. Would love to be able to afford this, but by the time I can, the C8 Z06 will be out and be incredible as well. ;)

8. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve

Many? not so much in the real world.

9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Sub 3 sec cars i can think of are gtr, ptts, aventador, bugatti. Guess what they all have in common. Hint, z06 does not have it. See below for answer

Awd!

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #10 noone1, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    Impressive given the price, but not super impressed overall.

2.95 = 3 = 3.1 = 2.9 = 3.15

Lots of cars are more or less the same or quicker, even with RWD. That's what, .05s quicker than a Speciale? It's all just launch control algorithms and sensors. Look at the trap time though -- 127mph. Even the 991 GT3 traps about the same as that and it's way down on power/tq and it's RWD. 2.95s 0-60 with 650hp/tq... gets 10.9/127mph? IMO this is proof that the car weighs too much and isn't nearly as quick as I thought it would be.

I've heard the new z06 is 3600 lbs. Too heavy IMO. Great car for the money, but once you deck it out with the Z07 package it's only about $40K less than a nice 991 GT3. I'd spring for the GT3 if it was my money.

11. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    #11 mikelfrance, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    #12 Phil~, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

GM is being conservative.

Here is a slip from a bone stock C7 (A6 Automatic)

About 3.5-3.6 seconds to 60. Most magazines test the manual, not the automatic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Fair enough if $40k is not real money in your world. And that number is a bit optimistic. Add PCCB and Sport Chrono and you are well over $140k for the GT3. That seems well over $40K more than similarly equipped Z06. Add in some extras like track wheels and consumable costs for things like pads & rotors and the delta to use the cars grows.

I do agree the GT3 is probably a better track car, but almost certainly a worse street car. And probably 50% more to own and operate. Kudos to GM.

Still hating the weight on the Z so not getting in line to buy one at this point.

14. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    doesnt this make z06 fastest 0-60 all time rwd car in world? give me another sub 3 sec rwd. its not f12.

15. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    This car is obviously wearing some pretty sticky rubber and where the earlier cars (C6 ZR1) couldn't put down all the power they had, this car is getting off the line stronger and around the corners (they are quoting 1.2 g lateral capability) a lot better.

So ask yourself what's changed to get almost .2 g better cornering when the suspension isn't significantly different than a C5 and the car is over 500 pounds heavier...

The short answer is better tires. A well set up (lots of negative camber, lowered an inch and toe set to track settings) C5Z on Hoosiers pulls about 1.3+G lateral acceleration on a good surface and this car is getting 1.2 and is a lot heavier says to me that they've gotten Michelin to up the ante on grip.

I've noted it before, the C5Z and C6Z have the same rear wheel torque in first gear because that's all the power they could put down at the time on the tires that came on the car. If this car is that much faster it's primarily because they are getting more stick and tires are 99% of it.

And think about it. Sticky tires are the easiest way to get big numbers when you are out of rope everywhere else, and you are severely traction limited as was the ZR1.

With that in mind I'm thinking that the ring times with this car are going to be pretty amazing, but if other cars have tires this good they'd be a lot faster too..

16. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    That's pretty impressive.

I wonder what the new A8 will do. It should shift quicker.

17. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've seen plenty of those slip times off. So your saying your car is a 1/2 second faster to 60 than what Chevy is quoting? I find that hard to believe having driven one before. No way is a c7 bone stock faster than a c6 Z06. I'd like to see another form of documentation or an auto magazine get these results. Which none have yet.
    Has Chevy lifted the stop sale orderon c6's? I know there was recall on the majority of cars produced so far. I wonder if the new z06 will be plagued with problems too?

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ver good points, I was wondering about the trap speeds myself, thanks for doing the homework.

But then a GTR has great times because of pdk and awd. The 991 Gt3 has PDK.

Which would be most fun to drive on the road to a track on track and them home. Probably the porche, but given all the tech to make it go fast, its not realistic to really play on track with.

One of these days I woudl like to see a 10 lap average time for these cars at say the Glenn or Willow. That to me is a better test and more relevant, not least because the weight will be degarding brakes and tires rapidly by lap 3 or 4, so 10 lap average is a more relevant spec to those of us who actualy use these cars.

For the street a regular C7 is already quicker powerwise than you sanely want to go.

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Lee I know you are also a big viper fan. It will be interesting to read your impressions of the zO6 vs Viper, and then of course later when the viper goes supercharged.

Kinda got me thinking, with the viper now at 85k, and the zo6 allegedly cresting 3600lbs, maybe a lighter viper might start selling to the De crowd.

20. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Its not my car, I pulled that directly from Corvette forums C7 fast list. Another person ran an 11.4. Some people simply can drive.

And the fast list for the C6Z06 has members dipping into the 10.7s bone stock on stock tires.

21. DiabloTerr

DiabloTerr Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2010
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Terrance Findley
    I drove 2 C7 before I took home my C6, I would agree that it did not feel like an 11-second car. This video shows a C7 racing true 11 stock cars (458, LP 560, GTR), noticeable difference if I dare say so myself......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NImMPES1FJA

22. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The better comparison is probably the 991 turbo S. More of a street car than the GT3.

However, with PCCB, chrono and all the good stuff, MSRP is about $190k. Over 2x the cost of a similarly equipped Z06/Z07 pack. For virtually identical performance. Similar levels of comfort. And the 991 has the benefit of AWD to help acceleration to 60 mph.

Say what you want about looks and panache, but you have to hand it to GM for producing a bargain world class sports car. I just hope they have upgraded the ignition switch.....................................

Regards,
    Jerry

23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Eh, barely used 2014 TT/TTS are already in the $150s. Here's a $194K car that just went for $155K according to eBay. They jacked the price on the new 911s up way too much. The are dropping like rocks in the US.

Porsche 911 Turbo S | eBay

As a street car, stuff like CCB is a waste. Difference can only be measured with instruments. GT3 should be fine on the street. Can't see it being any worse than a Z06/Z07. Neither will be any good in the cold or Winter, but both fine in normal conditions.

24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    BTW, true cost is highly dependent on depreciation as well.

GT3s have been doing very well lately and over the entire 997 series in general. Some of these cars have lost only $50K over the last 7 years. The new normal 991s and the TT cars are way overpriced, but the GT3 is actually pretty nicely priced. Way better value than the TT/TTS IMO. I think the 991 GT3 will do pretty well in depreciation.

Compare that to a ZR1 for which you can get a 2010 car in the mid to high $60s for a good one. A 7 year old Z06 is probably in the $40s or $50s. That's probably pretty close to a GT3, maybe even worse in some cases.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    RWD, manual transmission, without launch control, and standard production car that does 0-60 in 2.9s is the McLaren F1 LM.

Sub 3 second car with launch control and rwd are: Koenigsegg Agera, P1, and LaFerrari. 918 is sub 3 seconds, but not really RWD as electric motors are in front axle.