C6 Z06 questions | FerrariChat

C6 Z06 questions

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by FerrariF50lover, Oct 12, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I have been really eyeing up Early C6Z's lately. Its a lot of car for 40k. Anyone have one? What do you guys think of them?

2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
  3. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    I've had mine since 2008 and it is fantastic. Last of the NA big displacement V8s. 7000 rpm, 7 liter under 3200 lb. mine has been perfectly reliable, including track duty. I can't really think of a used car at his price point with more performance. But you need to get some gold chains and grow a mullet

4. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good friend of mine has one, great bang for the buck. He did have to do valve guides on it which is apparently an issue with them.

5. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    On early ones. 2011 and above this problem was largely fixed.

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    He was asking about early cars, I believe. In any case, it's not a deal breaker as they can be done with the engine in the car and is fairly inexpensive. My buddy spent around $1200 doing them himself and had the heads mildly ported at the same time.

7. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    IMO most of the so-called valve problems are guys who just had to put in an aftermarket cam, which may also involve springs and perhaps valves. I do not think aftermarket cam makers do the kind of durability testing that GM does and the big problem is dropping a valve. I also wonder if folks are carefully warming oil before giving hard revs - remember the valvetrain is largely splash lubricated and clearances affected by temperature. It takes a long time for these dry sump engines to get 140+ oil temp, which I consider the minimum to use full rev range.

A little mechanical sympathy tends to go a long way in component longevity.

Anyway, my 2008 has been fine, but I always warm the oil before running over 3000 rpm. I would not touch a modified car, and pay a premium for a car in warranty (GM offered an extended 7 yr warranty).

But read up at corvetteforum.com for the details on the Z06 - there is an entire subforum devoted to this model and many threads on valve issues. And remember the complainers tend to outnumber the happy by a wide margin on the interwebs.

8. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    His was stone stock. Still has the stock cam even with the mildly ported heads.

9. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
  10. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I've had 2 and loved both of them. No problems whatsoever. Huge bang for the buck

11. Ray G

Ray G Formula 3

Sep 8, 2005
    Newport, RI
    Fantastic car. Super reliable and fun to drive. I wish the steering felt a little heavier and the interior isn't great but as others have said. Tough to beat for the $

12. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Love mine. Did a mild cam back in 2006 with upgraded springs, and that really woke the car up. I know of a very nice low mile black one for sale here for under 40k including a Lingenfelter cam/headers package.

13. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Original owner of 2006, no issues. Two close friends which still own their '06 Z's since new with no issues. All of us warm the cars up (oil temp) before running the rpm's up.
    Bill
    FL

14. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I spent a couple of months driving a buddy of mines 2006 while selling it for him. The car is a rip snorting beast of a performer and it's probably the best bang for the buck you can get currently...Gen 2 viper GTS might be fairly close.

However, as I have aged (mid 40's ;) my particular demands from a car have changed. Burning off a set of times every other month is fun, but I now look for cars with other attributes...such as comfort. At highway speeds and certain road surfaces I could barley hear myself think let alone hear the radio or have a conversation, so as such I personally don't have one on my bucket list. It was fun for me for a couple of months, but that was enough.

But again if reliable world class performace is your main focus, you cant go wrong.

15. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #15 FerrariF50lover, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    Im interested. The mods I would do would be exactly that a cam, heads, and full exhaust car. I really want a 06 Lemans Blue car. I am 25 so The idea of a crazy car that is a handful sounds like something I would love.

16. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I had a gen 2 viper as well. Love, love, love the viper.... Unless I'm in traffic. The Z06 is more common, better performance and more driver friendly

17. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    I was delivered the first LMB 2006 Z06 in Kansas City and just loved that car and color. Lemans Blue is a keeper but I sadly sold it.

18. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Get the car and ignore the bench racers that advise you do anything to the motor. The motor is done, even the hydroformed headers are extremely nice. If you would like more engine sound get a mild to wild switch to opens the exhaust up.

Instead: Sparco Evo 2's, springs and shocks that have a higher rebound rate than compression rate and a better shifter (MGW). Use some Leatherique on the seats (if you keep stock) and the steering wheel.

This is my favorite car of all time. Slightly lower than stock and wheel spacers will get stares from everyone if that is what your after.

19. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    I had an 06. Fastest car I ever owned. Only car to actually scare me, it has sooo much power when you want it. I did a little work and a tune because there's nothing like a car that says I want to kill you let's go fast!

20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I had 2 a 2006 and 2007 and they were great cars .. I now have a 2013 427 conv. which has the same engine .. The engine has been rock solid for me..on all 3
    last of the 427s.....

21. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Larry, how does that 427 convertible compare with the coupes and how tight is the car relative to rattle and cowl movement? This car is on my short list.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    FL

22. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #22 Tally Ho, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The 427 convertible is tight. It uses the steel frame instead of the aluminum frame that the Z06 uses. I had one for about a year and a half before the left knee gave out. I put 4100 miles on it before I traded it in on the F430. I also own a standard 2006 convertible I bought new that has been rock solid.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Thanks Bill, very nice!
    With only about 2500 built, pretty sure these will have their day.
    Bill
    FL