2015 Mustang GT vs 2015 Camaro SS (video, 16:52) | FerrariChat

2015 Mustang GT vs 2015 Camaro SS (video, 16:52)

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ScuderiaWithStickPlease, Oct 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTJPDurLEKw&list=PLGvTvFzdMg_OIya3r7lFUJvdvtXSZmdD5]2015 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Head 2 Head Ep. 58 - YouTube[/ame]

2. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow. Curious to see next years all new Camaro.

3. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I'd still rather have the Mustang.

I guess that's the power of a brand.

4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Truth be told as far as a dd I'd take a challenger. More of a gt, can actually hold 4 humans and the one car in this segment that remained true to its roots. Mustang and Camaro have morphed into "sportscars"( not a bad thing) but there really isn't a dog in this bunch.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The mustang is at version 1.0 and the camaro about as fully developed as its going to get.
    Lest see how mustangs perform 2 years out. But yeah i am a camaro guy. Dont really love the look of the new mustang, its got that euro pedestrian safety schnoz whhih makes the front end blunt built up and bulky. Nustangs have always felt cars you sit on rather than In, the new one seems no different.

Mustang motors are in a different class to the camaro ones though.

Hope Gm doe snot F up the new Camaro when they go to the ATs derived one. it will be lighter, but will it still be a muscle machine.

6. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I haven't followed Mustang development for a while....is this a version of the chassis that came out in 2005 (and based on the Lincoln LS), or is it a whole new platform?

7. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Fatty vs bloatus. The Mustang is the "light" one at over 3700 lb. Maybe the new generic names for these cars should be "Clydesdale" cars.

I wonder if there will ever come a time where fuel economy, driving dynamics and performance become important enough to improve them (even power to weight ratio) by reducing mass. Ironically, Ford has made a big step with the F150 in aluminum. But the weight gains across the board are disappointing.

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Clydesdale cars. LOL. :)

aluminum just offsets all the weight added to reduce NVH (soundproofing) and stuff you don't need...electric everything, infotainment systems, a nanny for everything (braking, steering, accelerating), not to mention crash tests.

there needs to be both a consumer and a legislative shift in what they want from cars before we start seeing weight drop. until then, the vast majority of cars will exceed 3,000 pounds.

9. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Sat in a new 2015 Mustang when I was getting my Shelby's oil changed at the dealership. While the outside looks somewhat better, I could care less unless that rear end makes that much difference in handling where the Shelby receives fairly low scores in my opinion.

10. Nurburgringer

Nurburgringer F1 World Champ

Jan 3, 2009
    Texass
    4000lbs has been the new 3000lbs for close to 10 years.
    Chris Harris basically has the same opinion as you and I: Why Chris Harris Is 'Meh' On The Next Bugatti Veyron

Just this morning on the way to work in my '99 528i (a relatively svelte 3500lbs, in today's world where a new 528i weighs 3815lbs) thinking what I might replace it with, someday. Got me thinking about what today's cars have that my BMW designed 20 years ago doesn't, besides slightly higher efficiency and more electronic toys. Not much else....
    If a car maker wants me to part with a big pile of my money to retire the E39 they need to show me a game changer. New materials, new powerplant technology, innovative layout, substancial performance/efficiency improvement, etc.
    Mazda with their SkyActiv philosophy, BMW with their i3 and i8 and of course Tesla are leading the pack, but still not quite enough progress to convince me to give up "antiquated" last-century tech.

11. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    And that is why the new Camaro coming out in a bit over a year is going to be built on the newer, smaller, lighter, tighter chassis. I would love a 5.0 as a daily driver but am afraid that Ford didn't make the jump that they needed. IRS was the biggest step in the right direction but I am surprised they weren't able to leap frog the Camaro to a greater degree.

The test weight of these two cars was within 100 pounds according to MT. The Ford should have shaved more weight. I think that GM will be able to make a jump forward with the all new chassis.