who makes the best cobra replica? | FerrariChat

who makes the best cobra replica?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by ross, Oct 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    whats the best one?
    csx continuation?
    superformance? mk 111?

and why?

anybody have one?

what do you have to look for?

2. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    Best replica is a Kirkham (aluminum). Best fiberglass replica is a Superformance. Best replica for resale is a CSX (and the most expensive). Best replica to build yourself is a Factory Five.

I've owned my Superformance for 14 years. I've shown her, open-tracked her, and participated in many local club rallies. "Like driving a Harley on four wheels"

Have Fun,
    Randy...

3. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Kirkham. I am not 100% sure but I believe Shelby was purchasing some bodies from them.

Kirkham Motorsports

4. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    Kirkham makes the best car. It is a work of art from the aluminum body on the outside that replicates the original to the amazing upgrades they have done with the suspension and other bits and pieces. You can make one as an exact duplicate of the original but I would suggest taking their suspension and brake upgrades (that actually come as standard equipment, the original style stuff is big $) Between the brakes and the suspension they save about 100 pounds of unsprung weight over the original cars. Add in an aluminum block 427 from Shelby punched out to 482 and you will have a 600hp/600tq car that weighs in under 2100 pounds. The materials and engineering they have in their car are really, really cool.

They do sell body and frame assemblies to Shelby for the aluminum continuation cars.

Superformance makes a nice car if you don't care about it being fiberglass. The quality and attention to detail is very high. The shape of the body in spots is different from the originals but no one will ever notice and the product has a great reputation.

Factory Five makes a decent kit but the finished product is up to the builder. I have seen some built as cobbled together hot rods that are scary to drive, to some really nice cars. The old adage, You get what you pay for, comes into play here.

Depending on who you choose as an engine builder and who does the final assembly, all of these cars will likely have some teething problems. Having said that, I don't know that many vehicles out there bring the true joy of driving that a Cobra can. They are loud, fast, raw and brutal. I know of more than one person that bought one thinking they were going to love them, but sold them quickly because they weren't prepared for the experience. As others have said, if you think of it as a 4 wheel motorcycle, you won't be far off.

5. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Superformance is the licensed Shelby builder now. I believe they build the CSX continuation series cars, but I could be wrong.

Superformance | Home

Mark

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Well said, Randy.

Right on.

Matt

7. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

let me weigh in as one who has done the due dili...

my list top three list:

1) Kirkham...simply the best and most accurate. they take few indecent liberties (only to improve performance) other than shocks and brakes...all original can be spec'd as well at a cost.

2) ERA...stand back and look. it is dimensionally and cosmetically hugely accurate and the company has been known for >25 years to build the very best glass car. those discriminating buyers looking to buy a non Kirkham or csx car tend to pay up for a factory built era.

3) superformance...a licensed product and very well turned out. not as accurate to the dimensionally as the Kirkham or the era but very well turned out cars...sold complete sans drivetrain. they have just developed a 289 fia that is very, very accurate and very, very nice!
    they have become the biggest producer of replicobras and Shelby was looking at the money when agreeing to the licensing agreement.

the csx is a continuation car and should properly not be included in the replica list. the csx cars began as all aluminum bodied cars (bodies provided by Kirkham) but have quickly become primarily glass cars. if you can find a nice deal on an aluminum car, you will benefit a bit from a eventual value stand due to the csx designation.

if it were my money, I would hunt for a well turned out era or a Kirkham.

I hope this was helpful?

best,

Peter

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    kirkham hands down..... resale mkt is has always strong.

my money is on the 289 slabside or FIA cars....

9. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Simply the best choice!

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Kirkham if you are going alumminum.

Take a look at era for glass. Look at the way its built, the detail and the quality of mponents. The ERa also cosistently win cobra shootouts, and the basics are still close enough to the origionals thta you get the driving feel of one.

many of the others have so dievrged from the origional thta you get a cobra body on a modern type car.

11. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
  12. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name: