Color question | FerrariChat

Color question

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Juice It, Oct 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Have been looking at some old shelbys as well as a few other classics and am wondering how important the original color is on a restored matching number car. I have found a few cars I like that have been fully restored but have been painted more popular "grabber" colors and not the original color. I know you could always change that but assuming you are not changing anything what kind of hit would the value take if a perfectly restored original great color car was 125k?

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    grabber colors on a vintage shelby is death. collectors prefer matching numbers and orig colors. restomods, anything goes.
    just decide on your comfort level.

3. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    On american classics and muscle the original color is a big deal. IMO it doesn't matter what the value of the car is, everything being right/correct except the paint color probably means at least a 10% difference in value side by side to an similar but correct color car.

One individual may love the car and be willing to pay a premium for it, but in the long run the majority of classic car people (buyers) want original colors, even if they are awful.

4. Juice It

Juice It F1 Rookie

Sep 22, 2002
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks,pretty much what I thought. As far as the grabber colors on the Shelby's those were on the 69,70's which were actually used in those years so at least that part is correct. Even though I know they aren't the most desirable the 69,70 converts are some of my favorites but there are many that were originally colors that I am not too fond of. Either way none of them seem to be losing any value over the years.