C7 Paint quality | FerrariChat

C7 Paint quality

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Hoodlum, Nov 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Was in a GM dealer earlier today and got to check out 2 C7's. One was a 3LT Torch Red with the Z51 option, the other was a 2LT in Laguna Blue. The Laguna is a premium paint(+$1000) over the base color selection including Torch Red. The red in my opinion was significantly more attractive, with a very good paint finish. The blue had some of the worst orange peel I've seen on a factory car. Anyone else noticed anything like this?

The interior in the C7 is tremendously better than the last generations.

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    My neighbor just got one in Laguna Blue with red interior. Overall the color scheme seems just awful but the actual finish of the paint seemed fine.

3. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    Could it have been a poor repair job?

4. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The quarter panels, doors, and rear hatch of the new C7 Corvette are made of a new and lighter composite material than those used in previous years. The lighter composite contributes to maximized performance. However, it also has a different surface shape and absorbs paint differently than the composite material used in the C6.

On the new 2015 models they are now using different primers and top coats and are now painting the quarter panels, doors, and rear hatches with double primer coats. As a point of information, the hood and targa top are carbon fiber, which is a much easier surface to lay paint down on. This is the reason the hoods and targa tops almost always have less orange peel.

The paint and fitment quality control inspection process was not as effective as it needed to be initially on the 2014's. Paint and fitment quality control were both performed at the same time until they reviewed the process and made a significant change.

The solution involved separating the fitment and paint inspection into two, individual inspection processes for the 2015 models. Not only are the Corvettes more effectively inspected, but cars are also randomly selected during each day for even closer paint and fitment inspection and auditing.

5. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have personally looked over approximately 30 2015 Vets and thought the overall paint and interior was very good. Ordered a Z06 shark grey with red 2LZ interior. Did the museum tour prior to ordering and found good quality of work. This will be my first American car in decades.

6. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    #6 Phil~, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    Did your order an A8 or M7?

7. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Phil I ordered an A8 and am glad I did so after checking the performance figures. Seems most of the marques are going in that direction now a days. This other than the Ferrari will be my first auto. It will also be close to a daily driver which means traffic.

8. Hoodlum

Hoodlum Karting

Sep 8, 2014
    Good to see they are working on it, both of the cars I viewed were MY15. It's interesting as I did notice that fenders showed the most, and the front bumper and hood were much better in terms of paint finish. Still a very attractive car, just wasn't terribly impressed with the paint quality on an optional paint selection.

9. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Comments on the Vette forum seems to show a wide variance in quality.
    Some with very little, others having to be sent out for paint correction.

Hopefully the 15's are more scienced out in quality levels. All new cars seem
    to have the peel to some extent, my neighbor just got a 2015 S550, lot's of peel.....

10. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    My '14 came with a very good finish. I've looked at several other Stingrays, and they all had very little orange peel.

As said above, the forums have plenty of people with disappointing paint.

A few years ago I was checking out a c6 at a dealership in Lake Worth Fla. and couldn't believe how bad the finish was.

11. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Just remember that orange peel can be fixed by a good paint guy usually...

So while you would not want that on a new car, if there was one in stock that had some orange peel, that would not make me walk. Just make the dealership pay for the paint correction work.