Ron Pratte Selling Entire Collection | FerrariChat

Ron Pratte Selling Entire Collection

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Ferris Bueller, Dec 1, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I cant believe this.
    Just saw this on Velocity.
    His collection is the best of the best with the most iconic cars ever built.
    Barrett Jackson is auctioning off his cars, planes, neon signs, and toys, Over 1400 pieces
    He is done collecting cars and moving on.
    I am sad to hear this news.

2. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    Watching the special about the sale on Velocity now. Beautiful collection. Curious to see what the Shelby Super Snake goes for.

3. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Quite the infomercial it is.

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Amazing cars an collection.

5. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I am curious to see what these cars sell for on a car by car basis.
    Ron had more money then any of the other collectors and when he wanted a car he would bid it up till he got it.
    Now that he wont be bidding, these cars may be going for lower then he bought them, still its a multi-million dollar collection that comes along once in a lifetime.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    why is he selling?

the sale will be interesting because he set the record for a lot of those cars...

7. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Wonder what kind of deal he gets from BJ to sell collection? Definitely getting them some good PR.

8. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    B/J is probably not charging Ron anything. Just the opportunity to sell that much high priced stuff will guarantee that B/J has a net profit in the millions. Not sure about the infomercial costs, but B/J probably did that too. Think about it, that infomercial is touting the sale and the sponsors pay to have it on the air so B/J is probably making money on the infomercial. Don't ya just love how money makes money....

As noted above Ron has the best of the best, but he also often paid top dollar for it. I would also suspect that an awful lot will go for less than he paid for it. At the same time blue chip collectables are at a peak, so if he wants to get the max out of his collection now is a good time to sell.

Remember also that keeping that collection has got to cost an awful lot, and cars aren't like artwork, they continuously deteriorate. The longer he keeps the stuff the more he has to pay to keep it up.

9. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    He needs to open the museum for tours prior to the auction.

The host needs to ditch the sunglasses....

10. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Believe it or not, Ron Prattte has never opened the doors to his car collection to the public.
    He has the best of the best but does not want to show them once he buys them.
    It might seem odd but after seeing the interview with him the other night I can see why.
    He seems like an dull guy with no personality at all.

The host is Steve Davis, VP of Barrett-Jackson.
    Supposedly Steve suffers from some sort of eye disease and lights affect his vision.
    Between his dark glasses and his fist pumps, he is a little much to take at times

11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    No way he is paying a dime of the sellers fee...... I wouldn't be surprised if he paid very little buyer premium to BJ on the way in.

12. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Something tells me There will be disappointment here as he was the one that sent CRAZY money after these cars in the first place...Trying to set benchmarks , I believe he failed.
    He did help light the industry on fire ...but He was so far ahead of the curve , that I believe the Market has not even caught up to his spot on that curve..Yet.

I also doubt he is selling everything..just some selected " Not such good investment cars "

This will be a 3 bag of Popcorn Event!

13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Facts...

1. At the conclusion of the auction he will still own all the cars he wishes to own at this time
    2. He will come out ahead $
    2. BJ will come out ahead $

14. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i don't think much of his collection has gone up that much....

last i saw - the muscle market was not that hot...

not like he bought a ton of long nose 911s...

what did he pay for that futureliner ?

15. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
    $4.1M [says the internet].

16. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    The Futureliner auction was a big mess.
    There was confusion during the auction and in the end I think it was offered to Ron for 3M.
    They talked about the Furureliner on the show the other night but conveinently didnt talk about the auction and how BJ messed up the whole thing.

17. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    I don't think he'll be that far ahead, if at all. I remember he paid stupid money for some stuff. He also bought a bunch of the first and last cars of a model.
    He'll still be better off than if he was still in the residential construction business.

18. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    To have a successful auction you need two people who want something really badly. When Ron was buying a lot of these cars he was one of those two. In order to be successful now you need two more people who want something in a "price is no object" kind of way. I fear that there aren't two folks who will want each item that badly and prices on some of this stuff will fall off. A lot. While the Super Snake and some others are pretty rare and collectable, others were bought for silly money. Ron isn't going to be poor, ever, but I'm thinking that if you count what he put into the entire collection, the cost of the building and the cost of maintaining this stuff over the years, he hasn't got a prayer of getting more than 75% of what he put into it back out.

I'm just thinking that he's gotten over the "collecting" bug and now wants to go back to flying and enjoying himself. He sees that the costs to maintain the collection are constant and will increase over time and it's time to cut his losses and step back. Since he is probably retired now the cash flow isn't there and it's time to move on.

19. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    ^^Perfectly said !

20. Davesvt2000

Davesvt2000 Formula 3

May 3, 2005
    Central Mass.
    Full Name:
    Dave G.
    Also dont forget, some of the "stupid money" he paid for many vehicles were for charity, so he got some huge tax write offs each year on the amount paid over sticker for these cars.

I'm sure there are certain vehicles he already knows he will not get back what he paid for them.

21. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Please post more pictures or videos

22. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I still don't understand why a guy like this would suddenly sell his entire collection. Maybe he really needs the money?
    J

23. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    #24 Ferris Bueller, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    #25 enzo thecat, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
    Anyone know the results? Did he loose or profit a significant amount on the sales? I'd be interested to know. I searched online myself but couldnt find anything. However, I did stumble across something else. He owns a huge portion of a private neighborhood with large homes on one side of the airstrip and massive hangers on the other side. His property is just dirt, but it is on the west side with the homes. I wonder if he's developing it (he's supposed to be retired, I thought) or building a massive home. Elsewhere in the neighborhood, the same size lot fits at least 10 large homes, maybe more.