Ford coming out with GT replacement | FerrariChat

Ford coming out with GT replacement

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by proof69, Dec 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    They are supposed to have it out by 2016. I wonder what will happen to the price of GT's from 2005 and 2006?

2. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The news has not impacted the market.....salvage cars are selling for msrp. The 05/06 models replicate the vintage 66-69 GT40 nicely; buyers relate to the iconic look. that might be hard to do for a MY 16 car.

3. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If Ford goes back to the Xerox machine for the GT replacement, it may well impact values. I would assume the newer car would have similar looks plus be faster and better engineered.

Also depends on the price point. I guarantee Ford is watching GT values and wants a piece of that action. The car was based on a pickup truck engine, IIRC, and is now selling for more than 10x-15x the price of an F150. Profit margins could border on the obscene.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I heard from GT Forum that it's a $1M hybrid & they are only building 25

No idea how accurate that is

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Seems to make sense they'd want to use that flat plane crank v8 in more than one car...Tough to justify the development costs for a single mustang sub model unless they charge a ton for it,so I'd expect the new gt to have a version of that motor where they can really charge a premium for it and let them undercut the z28 with the gt350.

6. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Ford, keep the hybrid crap out of a potentially great car with a great engine.

7. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Ford. Please do put traction control in, so that fewer are crashed.

8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Cant say where, but I hear the mtor is being tested, based on the 5.0 coyote supecharged to power levels that blow a hellcat out the water.

Will make agreat Gt 500 too.

9. Carrera_gtcrazy

Carrera_gtcrazy F1 Veteran

Oct 24, 2004
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stephan Bauer
    its definitely coming and the concept will most likely be shown next month at the detroit autoshow with the production version following a year. I don't see this new car affecting current values at all.

10. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Ford better put a very powerful motor in that car given the current level of competition from GM and Chrysler.

11. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I would think for the Gt not less than 750 hp maybe 800. Apart from hpo weight is a big issue, the vette is lardy and the challenger is over 4000lbs.

If the ford is below 3400 its going to be amonster killer.

Will it be a very limited prod car, or a 180-200k car built in numbers.

As to the Gt500 it will have more hp than the dodge. The mustang is way lighter too.

Then we have the Gt350 a Na motor which will be over 500hp my gues is 540.

Gm just does not have the motors to compete.

12. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    They've had an n/a motor over 500hp for 8 years, Ford for zero. Not sure where you're getting that from...

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The 505 hp Na motor which still lives in the z28 is going to die with the z28. You dont see this motor in the vette even though it would save a lot of lbs.

The ford NA cammer will do over 500hp in the Gt350.

now Gm performance is going supercharged. But the 650hp in the vette dials back after one or two laps. Even if it didnt, ford is going over 750 hp and chryco already over 700 with their supercharged motors. Nor do the chryco motors dial back.

The rod ratios on the Gm lsx are a disaster.

My point is that in the hp war, ridiculous as it may be, the otehr two domestics apprear easily able to outgun Gm.

14. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    You don't think they'll have a replacement? Come on, the Hellcat was just released, Ford s/c motor is just a rumor and you think GM is done? They were the first one with an n/a 500hp v8 and first with a 600+ s/c v8, I highly doubt they're just going to stop developing their motors completely and let the other two run away from them. I'm not the biggest fan of their pushrod stuff but to say they're going to be left behind and/or a disaster is absolutely ridiculous.

15. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
  16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think the lsx fior all their benefits are primarily truck motors with longish stroke, based on 1950's architecture, massively upgraded for the 21st century. They are light for the power and very compact in having low height, inexpensive relatively to produce.

However you look at it there are limitations to the lsx archirtecture. A pushrod motor with hydralic lifters can only rev so high, any motor block can only be bored and stroked to a certain degree, cylinder heads can only be optimised to a certain point.

a 427 cu lsx v8 running port injection was good for 505 hp, probably an evolution could hit 550. But as Gm sattes the need to use cylinder deactivation means a NA mtor is now limited to 6500rpm, not 6800 ot 7000. So 500hp or even 525 seems a reasonable limit for a DI cylinder deactivation NA motor. There were prototype NA motors for the z06 but they never made it to production

Now over at ford they have two new motors comming out. One is the flat plane crank v8, somehting they can do because its an ohc v8 then allows a lot more revs with hydraulics which will work well with a flat plane. They are also developing, well actualy at this point in final testing of asupercharged v8 which will be 100hp more than the current Gm unit.

At Chrysler the hemi motors are of recent development albeit still pushrod. Like Gm thier NA motors are now around 460 hp. The supercharged one we know is at 707. The Gm supercharged one is at 650.

Yeah if Gm develops the supercharged motors furtehr I am sure then can get to 700 hp, there are also rumors of a twin turbo for the zr1 at 750. But the na motor that we knew form the z06 and z28 is dead at the end of the z28. Short of new architecture or Gm dropping cylinder decativation we are not going to see a pushrod NA v8 from gm over 500hp, and the supercharged motor defeats the one great benefit of the lsx, that being low mass.

Silly as it is, there is a Hp war on and Gm imo does not have the motor to win, I am going to say ford will take the crown, both in NA and supercharged. Viper as a fringe player may go further at 800hp for the supercharged viper.

Na is impiortant for weight and track performance, just look at the difference between a z28 and a zl1

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I still don't see a limitation to them getting over 500hp NA on the new motor with cylinder deactivation. The ls7 makes peak power at 6300rpm. If you increase displacment to seven liters, add the Ti rods and valves like used in the ls7 and rework the cam a bit to get peak power at 6000rpm, you still get 500+NA hp in a cylinder deactivation friendly package. Problem is it'll be expensive (like the ls7) but then so is a dohc engine. I think we'll see one, it's just a question of when. I'm thinking once they're comfortable with the new valvetrain (variable valve timing and cylinder deactivation), they'll make a 'hot' version unless they find that nobody really cares and just wants the monster 700hp sc motors. Sales of the z28 and gt350 will likely decide whether they make another hot na motor or just skip it to focus on the sc motors.

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Agreed.

They are trying to get away with the cheaper heavier easier option, and maybe the market just cares about headline hp. Tq is also an issue.

Na motors with lower revs may have narrow tq hp bands depeding on how done. I think we are seeing the limit as to what can be done with the lsx block in na form. If they decide to scrap cylider deactivation as chryco does with the hellcat then maybe we will see that 5550hp Na motor. Yes its very expensive to do, well expesive if you want it to live..and yeah maybe the new valve setup proves relaible enough so thye can just do it anyway. But still supercharged is cheaper.

For me a 2-300lbs lighter vette, even with less than 650hp sounds very appealing, actualy more appealing than 650hp and all that weight.

19. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #20 WILLIAM H, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I really hope Ford makes it attractive . I'd like to see Ford include cues from GT or GT40 like GM did w the Corvette DP. Here's an attractive concept I found
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #21 WILLIAM H, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I don't think either one of those cars look great especially for a street car. I was not a big fan of the Mk lV either. The Mk l was the best looking of all the GT40's in my opinion. Ford did a great job with the first remake. I hope they do not alter it too much. It is hard to beat perfection.

22. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I agree that Porsche is just butt ugly. No swoopy curvy aspect to it at all.

23. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Family member has done work on this car. Said it's highly secretive still, they have 2 or 3 prototypes and that it will be at NAIAS. He also told me that, unfortunately, it's still very early in development and from what he can tell based on the limited stuff they let suppliers work on, it's far from finished. Probably years off still.

918 debuted in 2010, delivered in late 2014. This car could easily be 2 years away I think.