New Z/28 | FerrariChat

New Z/28

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by leead1, Dec 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I just bought a 2015 Z/28. The car is black on black.

Obviously I was impressed on the cars handling. It will take me awhile to get familiar with the ceramic brakes. They must be hot before they stop well. I wish it had a little more exhaust sound at lower speeds although it screams under high throttle.

The steering is quicker than any other car I have driven and I like it. I hp power is modest in my view, 505hp. So it is not a dragster. The car has been lightened by GM a lot. So it performs better that I expected, It also helps in handling.

Anyway I am excited.

Best

Lee

2. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Lee

Congrats on the car. Haven't followed the Z/28 much lately but did they allow A/C as an option?

Enjoy

3. sburke

sburke Formula 3

Dec 21, 2010
    Lake Norman, NC
    A/C and radio were an option.

Absolute nasty car on a track, hopefully you get it on one to stretch it's legs!

4. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  5. kaamacat

kaamacat Formula 3

Jun 13, 2004
    Cumming GA
    Full Name:
    BobR
    Check the owners manual but, I'm pretty sure (like with my ZR1) that GM has a break-in process for the brakes. Afterwards there will be a nice difference in how they work...even moreso once you get a HPDE in.

As for the exhaust, you could pull the fuse for the flappers, but, you may not like the drone sound at lower RPMs....although you may be fine with it. When I had my 2014 ZL1....which BTW was a great car... I think the fuse is in the trunk area, but never did it on that car. (On my 13' ZR1 I went a slightly different route, but there also is a collar you can put on the flapper shafts...super easy do do... and regulate how closed they go no matter what. I have mine set so that it will never go full closed on the one side (of the dual outlets) and always keep a 1/4" open on that side. (I forget what company sold the little collars)

6. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Congrats on another fun car Lee. I always enjoy your take on your latest purchases.

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    cool car
    pics please

8. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Yes AC you only get only one speaker. Those are the only options So you do not buy this car to listen to the radio.

The special tires only last 3000 miles according to the dealer. He said the tires cost $6000 to replace. I talked to a tire friend of mine and they are not quite that bad. These tires are very very sticky. The dealer also told me not to drive the Z/28 in the rain. These tires are like slicks very little thread.

The dealer also told me to this gentleman's point that the Z/28 is a barely street legal track car. You can drive it to the track, race the car and drive it home.

I noticed that even the wheels are black. They installed the black front splitter today. This car looks sinister and bad. I love the quick steering but it takes getting used to it. My 458 feels tame in comparison to the Z/28. Ferrari probably is a better performing car just not as exciting

If I keep the Revs up it has a throaty sound. At start up it will wake the dead, then it settles down to a normal tone if driven lightly. Of course who would do that :)

I would love to post a picture if I knew how. I can post one on email if someone could send me a private note with their email I could give them the picture so they could post it.

I will also send pictures of some of my other cars.

Thank you all for the kind words. When I get more seat time I will give an update on how the car drives, faults and pros if any.

Thanks again

Best

Lee

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Sounds like a beast!

10. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
  11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i had one of those trofeo r versions on rear of my 575... same size .... they last longer than 3k miles.... u can buy them in the $5xx range..

worst part is they pick up and throw pebbles...

plenty of hipo tire choices in that size

12. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    Lee

How is the shifter compared to the GT 500?

Did you wait for a car you ordered or did the dealer have one in stock? I have noticed more of these cars on Ebay lately.

Would you consider putting a less aggressive tire on the car and drive it more often on the street?

Thanks

13. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #13 leead1, Dec 6, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Great questions

I was looking for a Z/28 last year. I was not able to find one at any dealership, so I bought a 2014 Camaro SS. I also bought a 2014 Corvette within a month or so.

My local dealer knew I was looking for one and was finally allocated a single car. They are a fairly big dealership. They called me I looked at and drove the Z/28 and bought it. the car was only at the dealership a day or so before I bought it. They had to clean it up it just came off the transport. The Dealership will only get this one car at least this year this year. Personally I hope they make a billion of them. The thrill is the driving

I can see someone buying different tires so they could drive it more. I do not plan on doing this. I will just change them as needed. I am lucky to own a lot of cars so it may take me awhile to need replacement.

Your shifting question is really spot on. My Camaro SS had a very notchey shifter. Too notchey in my opinion. It was puzzling that the Corvette was very smooth and the SS was not. The Z28 shifts very good and is a delight. I am not sure why all I know is I am happy with the Z/28.

It may be that GM was late on the development on the Z/28. The promised deliver times did stretch out. They probably just wanted to get it right which they did and I love the car.

I should add at my age and being spoiled by owning so many cars currently and through the years it is very hard to get me excited and this car excites me and I thank GM Engineers for that!

I am not sure about E bay. For me it is enough to like the car and it is fun.

Best

Lee

14. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Congrats, Lee. I know you have been looking forward to the Z28. Have fun with it!

15. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    :)

Best

Lee

16. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Lee, how has the car been? Any pics?

The fact that this thing has been getting rave reviews, and is a Camaro, its pretty amazing.

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Great car.

Congratulations!

18. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    #18 leead1, Dec 12, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    paul, thank you for jogging my memory. My wife took several pictures of the car and a F chat friend offered to post the pictures. I will send his email to my wife.

I love the Z/28. I have many cars but I cannot stop driving the Z/28. The car is just breath taking

Bobby thank you for offering to post the pictures. I think Joy will also post some Aventador pictures.

Thank you

Lee

19. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I am so glad to hear that. The Z/28 has really grown on me. Long live NA engines and manual transmissions! :D

20. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My wife tried to attach the pictures of the Z/28 and it screwed up her computer. We will call our computer repair man and hopefully get it fixed.

My wife's camera is a old Kodak it may be steam powered :)

Dorry we are trying

best

Lee

21. FordMan

FordMan Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2013
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bobby R
    No problem Lee, I hope the problem gets resolved soon with no hassle. Pictures of all your cars would be great. I am happy to post as many pictures of your cars as you will give me. Looking forward to them!

22. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Bobby my wife sent pictures this morning of the Z/28 and the Aventador.

Thank you for your help and posting these.

Best

Lee

23. FordMan

FordMan Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2013
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bobby R
    #23 FordMan, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. FordMan

FordMan Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2013
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Bobby R
    #24 FordMan, Dec 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Looks about perfect in black.
    Lee how do you compare this car to your shelby mustang Gt500, and say the aventador.
    Is the ride really too punishing for the street, or are Fl roads ultra smooth so you cant tell.

Seems like a great fun to drive and sense of occasion car.