2015 Challenger Hellcat Arrives | FerrariChat

2015 Challenger Hellcat Arrives

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by wings, Dec 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    #1 wings, Dec 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Congrats! My neighbor just got a red one with that same interior and a stick. Nice car.

3. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Is it true that you can select a 2nd gear start-off with the automatic to save the tires?

4. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    That is what I read. Will find out soon:)

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Awesome car. Congrats. I have 6.4 and didn't pull the trigger on the Hellcat. I think I might regret that. Please update us.

6. doubleclutch

doubleclutch Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2014
    Any Port in a Storm
    Full Name:
    Alex Stephen
    Wow, the front diffuser looks formidable.

What is the ground clearance measurement?...Thanks!

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #7 TheMayor, Dec 24, 2014
  8. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Welcome back Mark! :D

9. doubleclutch

doubleclutch Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2014
    Any Port in a Storm
    Full Name:
    Alex Stephen
  10. doubleclutch

doubleclutch Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 18, 2014
    Any Port in a Storm
    Full Name:
    Alex Stephen
    Thanks!...I'm continually reinventing myself!

Kind of like that cat you fed once & now you can't get it to leave.

11. RockinIt

RockinIt Karting

Sep 16, 2009
    Congrats, I love jazz blue I almost got a challenger in jazz blue.

12. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    #12 wings, Dec 24, 2014
  13. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Bye Mark!

14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Hot looking Hellcat - Congrats Enjoy in good health :)

15. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Looks awesome, congrats and best of luck!

16. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    What a pissed off looking car. Have fun with it!

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #17 TheMayor, Dec 24, 2014
  18. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Surprised you didn't jump on this, as it is a factory car with a full warranty that has undergone extreme testing. Merry Christmas!

19. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    #19 wings, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    First drive/impression of my new Hellcat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As background I am coming from a Charger SRT Hemi 6.4. I have had 2 of those. Also I follow the break in recommendations per Dodge. After starting the car you immediately notice the sound. Aggressive. Kind of like a race car. Seats are super comfortable for me and the extra cost leather was worth it. ( Sepia ) I drove 100 miles from the Dealership so as to get to level 2 in the break in procedure. Now I can drive up to 70MPH and 5000 RPM until I get to 300 miles which is phase 3. I like the dash instrument display and set it up the way I wanted it. I also drove in the "default" setting for the suspension and transmission. Stayed in Automatic but did try the paddles just once. Car is immediately noticed by people when you gas up or otherwise. A lot of Dodge 392 fans out there seem to recognize it right way. This car may get more attention than my Lamborghini! Transmission shifted smooth although again until I get to push it more I cant really judge. Right now it feels and sound like a more powerful car than my 6.4 which, of course it is. A few things I miss from my Charger but am not really complaining, the seat memory, power seats on the passenger side, smaller doors on the 4 door charger, a little more storage space like in the side of the doors on the Charger and the center console is a little bigger with a coin tray. However I am ordering the new Charger Hellcat next week when the allocations come in and will decide if I like the Challenger enough to keep it and have the Charger also or just trade the Challenger in on the new Charger. At least I will have plenty of time to get some miles on the Challenger so will be able to make an informed decision. Right now I find the Challenger to be an exciting car even though I have barely sampled it.
    Another report when I get to 300 miles. Thanks. Jazz Blue with A8 and Sepia

20. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Thank you. Looking forward to hearing more. Can't wait till you open it up.

21. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    After passing 300 miles Dodge says

Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually
    (paddles or gear shift) at higher rpms when possible.
    • Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator
    pedal at wide open throttle.
    • Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and
    observe local speed limits.

Although I have not run it up to redline yet, ( I will soon) I now find the whole car to be very responsive. The noise of this engine is intoxicating. I set the drive mode to Sport after being in street for a couple of hundred miles. The car comes more alive. You can feel the transmission shifting more quickly, the steering getting a little firmer, and the shocks getting a little firmer. The exhaust note makes a burbling sound on deceleration. For a heavy car I find the car handles the twistys just fine especially in sport mode. This car is just so comfortable. The seats are incredible. If your just cruising at 70 lets say, you feel like your in some kind of limo. That what my passenger said. Quiet and comfortable but just tickle the loud pedal and it will remind you what is lurking under the hood. BTW, although I am still breaking them in I can feel the power of those 15.4 inch, 6 piston Brembo brakes up front. Give you a secure feeling when travelling fast in this car. There are about 3 different Supercharger noises ( Whine ) that can be heard. One of them is like the call of a wild Banshee. I can't wait to hear what it will sound like at redline. Oh, notice that they want you to stay below 85mph so you have to use the manual shifter to get the revs up. The Auto Stick is terrific. Don't really need the paddles although they work just fine. This car has to be the "Buy" of the year as all this can be had for just $65K. Amazing. Next report at end of break in about 500 miles when I should finally have bonded with the Cat!

22. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    OVer 300 miles Wow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well been waiting for the temp to warm up and today the sun came out and I saw 75 degrees so I fired up the beast and set out to discover more of its capabilities. According to the book Dodge says run the engine up through it complete range manually while staying below 85 MPH. After driving 10 miles or so I had the tires warm enough and carefully, using the paddles started to get on it and ran the engine up through the gears. Let me tell you that this car is insane. Never opened it up fully as I did not want to spin the wheels but I was surprised by the ferocity of the engine and the wonderful noise from the pipes. You must respect this car and never get on it if the road is cold. ( less thatn 70 ) or you will suffer the consequences. Used the Auto stick some and just left it in drive. Had the suspension set to Street as I wanted all the traction control I could get. You have to ease into this car until you learn her mood and behavior as she is powerful. I currently own a couple of high power cars, ( 700 hp Lambo and ZR1 ) so I am not easily impressed but when you factor in the relatively modest price you pay for the car and the power/performance/features you get this is the new, biggest bang for the buck on the planet. Comfortable, exciting, big trunk, great interior ( Sepia ) and a modest price. Wow. Now to all the readers out there, yes I will be opening it up fully when road conditions and temps are right. Very soon but meantime I am showing proper respect for this missile with a man in it. Hats off to Dodge for building this car and pricing it where they have. For us car guys this is a dream come true. Never thought it would happen!! Ordering a charger Hellcat next week also! PS Officially weighed the cat on accurate scales and she came in at 4400 with no fuel. Dodge claims a curb weight of 4439 so that is damm good

23. bounty

bounty F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the write up and look forward to more! Be safe

24. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    #24 wings, Jan 3, 2015
  25. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Very nice blue on your new car. Congratulations.