How can dealers sell cars like this? | FerrariChat

How can dealers sell cars like this?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by GoonOnFire, Dec 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GoonOnFire

GoonOnFire Karting

Feb 6, 2012
    I was in the Chevy dealer today and I saw 2 Z/28's.

One white and one black. I was in awe seeing them AND a new Z06 (that a buyer had backed out of) on the show room floor.

The Z06 - flawless. Looked great. But the Black z/28 had a price tag of 75K on it, new. Scratches ALL OVER. Paint on the front headlight section that looked like someone spit some type of black adhesive/residue on it that was stuck there.

When I say scratches, I mean scratches. Standing from 6 feet away and you could still see a ton of beat up paint sections all over the car.

How can the dealer not notice this on the second most expensive car on the lot?

2. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Because they are a Chevy dealer.

3. GoonOnFire

GoonOnFire Karting

Feb 6, 2012
    Take a look at some of the 2014 reliability ratings. Chevy is above the industry standard. Also, I've seen about 5 threads on here with Ferrari doing the same thing + trying to sell people cars without the stereo they ordered and just a hole in the dash.

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Half the threads in the detailing section here are post-delivery "paint corrections" on brand-new cars. All manufacture-delivered paint is bad, some is just worse than others.

5. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My Corvette C7 with the optional $1000 Crystal Red paint looks like someone spray painted a pizza. I have never seen any car maker sell a car at this price with such lousy paint.

And, it's inconsistent which makes it worse. Some areas are just plain horrible while others are acceptable.

It's so bad I don't want to color sand it as it may cut right through the clearcoat.

I think American buyers just expect it because GM certainly seems to get away with it. I remember seeing one of the first H2 Hummers in silver and the car (truck?) literally had tiger stripes because the robots painted the cars so poorly. But, someone bought it.

Go figure.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    My c6Z has great paint all over

7. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It will get "corrected" when the car is "restored" to concours condition 40 years from now. :D

8. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    In general American cars are driven regularly and are quite capable of going for long periods at high speed with little repair work. This implies less importance to the role of the paint on the car.

Other continents are very capable of producing cars that look great stored in a garage or on the lift in the shop....��

Take your pick��

9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I've even seen new mercedes, bentleys, Porsches that suffered "port damage" only to have paintwork and of course they did not adjust the price nor did they tell the buyer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    #10 Phil~, Dec 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is mighty BMW M3. Bow down to superior German engineering and precision. Looks glass smove doesn't it? I wish those stupid Americans were this great at painting cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So true! I have found examples of very good paint from both domestic and foreign-and really bad examples from both as well. For example, my 96 Viper GTS(with painted/clear coated stripes) had unbelievably good paint and my last F-car was only missing the Sunkist sticker.