1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham project | FerrariChat

1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham project

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by INTMD8, Jan 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #1 INTMD8, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought I would share my ongoing project for those that may be interested.

I've had a long term obsession with this particular car. Basically a Motorama dream car that was put into limited production.

They made 400 in 57 and 304 in 58. Some notable features are brushed stainless top, suicide doors, auto opening closing trunk, fold out 'bar' in glove box with stainless magnetic tumblers, air suspension, memory front seat and lots of other neat stuff :)

Anyway, I bought a rust free example, #70, out of California where it spent it's entire life. It was/is a project and arrived in pieces.

This is being built as a sort of 'resto mod'. Stock appearing but updated mechanicals.

It's now riding on a Roadster shop chassis, twin turbo LSA engine with intercooled fabricated 'batwing' intake, overdrive trans, 2 piece carbon fiber driveshaft, 9in rearend with floater hubs, big brakes, one off 20 inch wheels (that look like 17's with a simulated sidewall) in the original design.

Interior is stock appearing as well with integrated 3 point seat belts front and rear. Front and rear vintage air systems and lots more.

It will take me a few more years to complete. First pic is of a stock Brougham so you have an idea of what they look like. The rest are of my project in progress :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Cool!! More please..

3. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    I was going to give you some grief about resto-modding such a rare car........but this looks SO good I already forgive you. I especially like your 'batwing' fab (I have restored a few over the years).

Yes please, more pictures as you progress!

Thoughts on the final paint color yet? Something retro-original?

Upholstery/interior? Updated 'vanity'?

More! More!

LOL about the headline........

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Currently installing AC, front discs, & new iPod system in my 60 Eldorado

Those drum brakes are scarey

Very nice work by the way, that's a lot of engine for a flexible flyer :)

5. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    I love it! More!

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    those are awesome cars!

7. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #8 INTMD8, Jan 7, 2015
    Thanks guys!

James, I think they really look great in black because of all the contrast but that is the most common color for one of these. I'm leaning towards Nairobi pearl, 11 of which were built that color in 57.

As for the interior, it will remain mostly stock other than the seat belts and the a/c systems. I was planning on all black. Black leather seats and Mouton fur carpeting (bought the fur). I also had the trims for the sides of the seats chrome plated rather than anodized. (same with the front grille)

William- I have a 59 Series 62 convertible as well and honestly I don't mind the drums! (it's stock however). That car being a convertible with an x-frame is pretty flexy but I think the Brougham with the new perimeter frame should be fine.

9. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Really nice, thanks for posting. Looking foward to future updates.

10. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    #10 normv, Jan 7, 2015
    Hello, youre project is showing a lot of promise, give you credit. Something to mull over you may consider entering some car shows, not any car show but go for the Riddler award at the Autorama in Detriot. Problem is you cant show any pics or have the car in public until the day of the show. Now is the time to get sponsers to help with your build. Should you get into the Great 8 at Detriot your car will be wanted and sought after for the other big shows. We have been there and SEMA, its a lot of work. Here's myself at SEMA with Barry Meguiar one of our sponsers. Thanks Norm

2014 Autorama: Ridler Award Winner & Great 8 Finalists - The Truth About Cars

Autorama / World of Wheels / Cavalcade of Customs | Americas Premier Custom Show Car Series

11. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Thanks Jim and Norm.

Norm, I've attended SEMA (not with a car), it's a good time! Riddler award doesn't sound like something I want to go after if I can't show pics or have the car in public as I'll be driving it as soon as it's completed :)

12. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    LOVE IT!!

13. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Amazing. That is most likely the hardest car in the world to restore! Over 2 miles of electrical wiring. Very cool nonetheless

14. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Nice.

I believe GM lost money on every car sold ?

I heard it runs around 200K to completely restore these cars.

Real special cars.

15. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    ....Nairobi pearl, 11 of which were built that color in 57....

Xlnt choice! So much enhancement you can do with that. I'm salivating now....
    I think you said you would be driving the car to Seattle as soon as it's done? I'll reserve your space at Cars & Coffee.

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Israel- In 1957 they cost $13,500 (when a new Rolls was 9k) and it's said it cost them $23k to build each one.

I could see a perfect factory resto approaching 200k. Some of the parts prices are crazy because they are made in handfuls at a time. (I'm trying to forget the chrome bill as well)

James- Thanks. Tell you what, head south and I'll meet you at Pebble Beach :)

17. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Finishing Touch?

18. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    No, they quoted in the 55k+ range if I remember correctly. I had everything done by Custom Metal Finishing in Indiana for about 37k and it turned out great.

19. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Is the color on the Revell box the Nairobi?

If so, I would be wishing for more contrast between the body color and all that expensive chrome (& the stainless top)....is there a color chart online anywhere?

I too know the eye-watering bills for chrome plating; I worked with Queen City Plating near Seattle; they have a deep list of PB winning cars. For a boat with as little chrome as mine , the costs were astronomical! Much of that was due to the hours of polishing filling plating polishing filling plating....endless! I probably spent much more on copper & nickel than on the chrome!

Pebble is good; breakfast on me at the Pine Inn in Carmel.

20. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    nice work,
    but its sad you had to wreck a piece of history,,but I agree its your car and you can do what to it,

my buddys dad had a black one of these [stock-unrestored] and I got to drive it 30 years ago,very cool car back in the day

21. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    James, yes post #8 is Nairobi pearl. It does lack contrast but I thought it looked classy. Still not locked in on color. Not sure if there is a chart, I usually scroll through the registry for ideas-

brg001-200

dmaxx, it's not original of course but I wouldn't quite say it's wrecked. Though I suppose the guys who turned one into a dual axle stretched roadster for wheelchair access and the guy who put a bubble top on one would say the same.

22. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    #22 tritone, Jan 11, 2015
  23. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Thanks for the link!
    Now I'm leaning toward a dark color......how 'bout Titian Red, a popular '50's GM (and custom car) color? Would show off the chrome well..... (needs a white interior though....)

24. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Dark colors don't do that well on 50s era cars, unless you go for a solid black. But then you'll need impeccable body work to make it right.

Look up a 59 Buick color called Lido Lavender. Would look great on a restomod. Kind of old school enough to look right, but unique enough to look almost custom...

Garnet red (deep metallic orange) would be fun as well. Almost bought a 57 Roadmaster a couple years ago only because of that color.

25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #25 Wade, Jan 13, 2015
    Beautiful car and love the upgrades!

Btw, one of your options has received an honorable mention. ;)

Five Automotive Inventions That Never Made It Because...

One your