Trying to find a reputable GM performance engine builder for LT1 | FerrariChat

Trying to find a reputable GM performance engine builder for LT1

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by nathandarby67, Jan 20, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Lately I have been pondering what my next big automotive project is going to be. I have 4 cars in storage and "on deck" awaiting various levels of restoration. The highly detailed strategic plan (in other words wild ass hopeful guess) is to complete one per year over the next few years. I have just about decided that first up is going to be my 1995 Trans Am. I have owned the car since new in my senior year of high school, will never sell it, and plan to give it to one of my sons in the future. A few years ago the clutch and/or transmission crapped out, so it has been sitting in storage waiting until I got my garage and shop built. Now that that is done, it is time to start working on some cars.

At the time I took it off the road the car had about 130K miles on it, and while the engine was running ok, it was starting to smoke a little. My rough plan is to pull the engine and transmission for rebuild, and while those are out have the car painted and restore the suspension, brakes, and freshen up the interior as needed. I want to make this a very nice, mostly original appearing driver, but not a 100% concours, spotless underbelly show queen.

Which brings me to my question...I want to outsource as much of the restoration work as possible and act as more of an assembler of the various components, mostly in an effort to save time. I would like to take my original engine out, place it in a crate, and have it returned back to me nice and shiny and with 400-450 streetable, reliable horsepower. I'd prefer no forced induction, but don't know if that power level is attainable in a normally aspirated LT1. I know the LS1's are more tuneable and more powerful, but it is important to me that the original engine stays with this car, so no engine swaps. Who are some of the major players that can do a good rebuild of an LT1? I'd like to go with a known larger, established operation and not send it off to Larry's Small Engine Repair and Bait Shop if you know what I mean. Ideally also someone who can get it back to me in 2-3 months if possible.

2. F-Nut

F-Nut Karting

Nov 30, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    As far as a complete rebuild, your options are fairly limited. There are several companies that still make high quality heads and internal parts, but few that specialize in a full ready to run build. Lingenfelter is obviously one of them. In some ways they made their name (in the Corvette world at least) with the LT1.

Lloyd Elliott is the guy you want to talk to for you're head work. I have experience his work first hand, and it is top notch. 400+hp is very attainable on these with a stock bottle end. You just need to do your research to figure out what you want and know how you are going to use the vehicle.

Hopefully that helps a bit. It really comes down to what you want to spend and I gave you two options with a huge price difference.

Good luck/have fun with the build!

Bill

3. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    You can easily get 500+hp from a very streetable LT1. Reliability depends on the quality of parts you throw at it, but many have over 100k street and track miles on their strokers with no problems.

Two of the more popular (reliable) engine builders who build strong LT1's:

Ellwein Engines Home Page

https://www.golenengineservice.com/

The cam/heads combo is extremely critical on the LT1 and the engine builder will give you the best advice on what works well together. Mixing and matching is never good. A custom grind may be a great option too.

Whatever you do, get rid of that optispark.

Lots of great info on camaroz28.com and impalassforum.com

4. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    As Bill mentioned, Lloyd Elliot is top notch for head work, as is Advanced Induction. They both turn strong numbers. The engine builder will send you down the right path.

I would not run 400+hp on a stock bottom end. Especially since you'll be driving harder than usual once you throw some mods into the car.

5. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    We had an LT-4 blueprinted for a B street prepared autocross car and the engine dyno'd at 405 hp at the flywheel. You can easily get more power than you want or need if you pick and choose the right parts and have a good house do it. Right around 400 hp is fine for the bottom end our engine ran perfectly for years (and it's still going) and it got more than it's share of abuse in the weekend wars. While some shops that specialize in drag cars will get a lot of power you can lose a lot of street-ability if you get too greedy. Shooting for a reasonable power output, like you are, is the right thing to do.

6. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Uh, Lingenfelter. Duh.

7. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    Plenty of options to send away, but you could save quite a bit rebuilding it yourself. Buy some decent heads and 400hp is not difficult to attain. BTW, I have an LT1 with a later (1995) iteration of the optical ignition which has worked fine for the last 20 years. No need to ditch it.

8. SEAN@TEAM AI

SEAN@TEAM AI Karting
    Sponsor

Sep 22, 2006
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Sean Smith
  9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Henderson Performance Technologies

I haven't talked to Cory the owner in a while But he is and has been Deep in the Corvette ZR-1 world, They go back to 1990 so he might mess with LT1's.

He is located in New Braunfels, Texas

10. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Yep. Building the 90's LT1 isn't going to be cheap though.

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #11 rdefabri, Dec 13, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    Resurrecting an old thread, but Golen (http://www.golenengineservice.com/) is your answer (link posted above).

Just take a look at this and tell me it doesn't give you goosebumps? I dig this so much, I'd consider buying a C4 LT1/LT4 and building one out over getting a ZR-1.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYaxTd5Wkfc[/ame]

12. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I think that's sage advice for anyone doing the work. I found some negatives on Golen too (note, I've never used them), but any reference is a good one. It could protect you from an expensive situation.

14. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Ditch the LT go buy a LS2 and have a much better option.

15. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Talk to Singleton at Exoticengines in Reno Nv.

He may be able to handle all your cars, does Fcars, Vipers, NASCAR,
    etc. Shipping is a bit, but he has a good rep. Easy to chat with about
    your needs and wants.

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER