A new type of American Muscle: Tesla P85D | FerrariChat

A new type of American Muscle: Tesla P85D

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by DoctorV8, Feb 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    #1 DoctorV8, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gentlemen,

I'm sure you all have seen the viral videos of the new dual motor Tesla sedan spanking sports cars off the line. I had been on the fence about getting the previous P85+, but ordered mine the same week Elon announced the dual motor setup in November.

The combination of the 2nd motor, along with a raft of other upgrades over previous Teslas made the decision easy for me. This thing is an absolute weapon off the line, and it's a supremely comfortable DD.

I'm enjoying the learning to use all the technology built into this remarkable car, from the smartphone app that lets me preheat/cool the cabin, to the unlimited music choices from the built in internet radio browsers, to Google maps, to the remarkable new active cruise control that utilizes the regenerative braking to seamlessly follow the car ahead of you.

I'm looking forward to the next firmware update that will improve acceleration further still.

All in all, this car is a game changer, and despite my love of a well tuned V8, there is something to be said about peak torque to all 4 wheels at 0 rpm, along with no shifting and the best traction control system on the market by far.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Awesome looking car as well.

They will be challenged by inexpensive gasoline, with cars like this they may meet the challenge.

Great description: Absolute weapon ��.

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I drove one of these and they are great cars. Surprisingly very quick and good handling.

They just put a charging station near me.

Best

Lee

4. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    Looks great! Enjoy it in good health.

Did you have a charging station installed at home and office?
    I live in the boondocks and am interested but hesitant because of the lack of charging station options where I live.
    I think many would like to know what it's like to live with one of these fine cars day-to-day.

5. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    Sanjay! You drank the electric Koolaid! I've had my P85 for 2 years. Early adopter with 5000 vin number. Ordered it in Sept '12. Wonderful DD. The P85D is a quantum leap faster with better interior and tech content. Thought about trading up but couldn't stomach the depreciation on my 14000 mile car. Gonna wait awhile and let the dust settle before I get one since there's nothing wrong with my electric whip. Enjoy the silent acceleration!

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    out of curiosity, what would the depreciation be on your old car? I would think it wouldn't be that bad, given the current demand for new Teslas...

7. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Ajai! Great to hear from you!

I didn't know you had a Model S! I had a Fisker for a while back in 2012/13, and I really liked that car, but was on the fence for the Model S until the D with autopilot and next gen seats was announced. The next gen Recaros and black alcantara headliner/dash really made this interior.

I am loving ithe P85D. Took the wife shopping at the Galleria last night and took advantage of the reserved Tesla parking/charging. It was fun monitoring the charge status on my phone over dinner.

Oh, and giving people demo rides in Insane mode never gets old. Just like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJJvhiFINsY

8. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    I charge at home with the included cable and a regular 240V dryer outlet with a NEMA 14-50 connector. Haven't installed the wall charger yet. I drive 10-30 miles a day, so the 200+ mile range (at a battery saving 90% charge) lasts me a week or so. Of course, the Insane mode launches tend to deplete that a bit faster. ;-)

The car is extremely easy to live with. When I get in one of my other cars, with their (comparatively) tiny low res displays, low tech UI's and lack of internet radio, I wonder why more people haven't made the switch. It is an amazing DD.

The silent torque is most reminiscient of my CL65 AMG V12, except this thing is AWD, and can launch harder than the Benz could ever dream to. The regen braking allows one pedal driving, and the latest firmware download magically endowed the car with active cruise control that seamlessly creeps along in traffic, much more smoothly than similar systems in high end German cars. The user adjustable air suspension is very smooth, and by opting for the base 19s instead of the blingy 21" wheels, the car rides even better, while maintaining quite the sleeper status. No one expects a sedate, quiet brown sedan with skinny all season tires to be able to launch like this thing does.

9. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    When I was thinking of getting the P85D in Dec. '14, I was offered 71K by Tesla for a trade in on my 22 month old, 12K mile P85. The car was $102K new (95K after I got my fed tax rebate of $7500). I got an offer for $77K from Earth Motors, but Tesla would not allow a courtesy pass thru for tax credit purposes in Texas. Tesla will shop around a car for you if you are trading in a Porsche, BMW, anything else. If you trade in a Tesla to them they will lowball you as they want cars for their own CPO program which has not been launched yet. Lot of guys bought P85's and P85+'s and traded them in with low miles to upgrade to a P85D which runs about $130K loaded with TTL thrown in. Basically there was a glut of low mile cars getting traded in or for sale, and that softened the market. That may settle out but I have a first Gen car with no parking sensors, older interior, and no adaptive driving features. And it only goes 0-60 in 4 flat...kinda slow :( Like still having an iphone 4.

10. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Nice garage

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ha!

that's interesting about them building up their own CPO program inventory.

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Congrats.

I am VIN 6662. Love the car. My P85 has 31,000 miles already. My wife ordered the the X.

I too have the "pedestrian" early version; no parking sensors, folding mirrors, painted calipers, etc, etc but I still love the car.

Ka

13. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Congrats.

I am VIN 6662. Love the car. My P85 has 31,000 miles already. My wife ordered the the X.

I too have the "pedestrian" early version; no parking sensors, folding mirrors, painted calipers, etc, etc but I still love the car.

KA

14. Gerald

Gerald Rookie

Nov 23, 2003
    Anaheim, Ca
    Full Name:
    Gerald B.
    THIS CAR IS AMAZING. THE POWER IS INCREDIBLE. I HAVE HAD A FEW PASSENGERS ALL BUT LOSE IT UNDER FULL ACCELERATION. I CALL IT MY MAGIC CARPET.
    PICKED UP THE CAR ON DEC 31, AND NOW HAVE ABOUT 1500 MILES ON IT. TESLA CALLS ANY CAR DELIVERED IN THE CALENDAR YEAR A PRODUCTION MODEL FOR THAT YEAR. SO MINE IS A 2014 WHICH IS A LITTLE WEIRD BUT NO BIG DEAL.
    EVERYTHING IS SO WELL THOUGHT OUT. CONSTANTLY GETTING UPDATES THAT CORRECTS OR IMPROVES UPON WHAT WE HAVE.
    I LIVE IN SOUTHERN CALIF AND DRIVE THE FREEWAYS A LOT. HAVE HAD A FEW PRIUS TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE CARPOOL LANE BUT WAS NOT HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE OF THE CAR. NOW SORT OF HAVE THE BEST POSSIBLE CARPOOL LANE CAR.

15. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I love the car.

I want one.

16. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Great to see you on here, congrats on the TESLA.

17. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T38Gj_Xs2Bg[/ame]

18. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I have a P85+ (471 hp motor) and have put 15,000 miles on it so far. It's a fantastic car!

19. freestone

freestone Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2005
    West Coast USA
    My P85D arrives in a few weeks! I waited to make sure I received the NextGen seats and also that it was a 2015.

20. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    You're going to love it. The Next Gen seats are a big improvement. I'm still waiting for my Next Gen rears to show up.....car was delivered with the standard rear seat.