Cadillac ATS-V | FerrariChat

Cadillac ATS-V

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by SMS, Feb 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #1 SMS, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oh my is this car tempting.....

Cadillac Opens Ordering for 2016 ATS-V
    Dual-purpose performance luxury compact designed for the track, touring
    2015-02-10

DETROIT – Cadillac dealers have begun accepting orders for the 2016 ATS-V – the brand's inaugural luxury compact performance car starting production this spring.

Available in sedan and coupe forms, the twin-turbocharged ATS-V offers a dual-purpose luxury performance experience: a car with true track capability straight from the factory with sophisticated road manners.

Powered by the segment's highest-output six-cylinder engine – the Cadillac Twin Turbo rated at 455 horsepower (339 kW) and 445 lb-ft of torque (603 Nm) – the ATS-V achieves 0-60 performance in 3.9 seconds and a top speed of 189 mph. The Cadillac Twin Turbo engine is backed by a six-speed manual – with Active Rev Match, no-lift shifting and launch control – or a paddle-shift eight-speed automatic transmission featuring launch control and Performance Algorithm Shift.

"The V-Series is the ultimate expression of Cadillac's re-ignited product substance and the passion at the core of our brand," said Johan de Nysschen, Cadillac president.

"The ATS-V expands the V-Series lineup, bringing a new kind of performance character to Cadillac. Lightweight, agile and potent, the ATS-V will make an ideal pairing with the larger and even more powerful all-new 2016 CTS-V midsize sedan, which arrives later this summer," he said.

In the U.S., the 2016 ATS-V sedan carries a starting price of $61,460 and the ATS-V coupe is priced from $63,660. Consumers can order ATS-Vs now through dealers and begin specifying their own ATS-V online at Luxury Cars, SUVs, Sedans, Coupes, and Crossovers | Cadillac in April.

Additional performance technologies built into the ATS-V include:
    - Brembo high-performance brake system developed for track-day performance capability straight from the factory
    - Third-generation Magnetic Ride Control, which delivers 40 percent faster damping response
    - Integrated chassis controls that provide balanced performance for touring and the track, including class-exclusive Performance Traction Management
    - Tri-compound tires offering excellent grip with extended tire wear
    - Available downforce-generating track aerodynamics package
    - Standard carbon fiber hood

An available Performance Data Recorder allows drivers to record high-definition video, with data overlays, of their driving experiences on and off the track, enabling sharing on social media.

More than just a desirable road car, the ATS-V will also become Cadillac's entrant into the world of motorsports. Even before the new car hits the showroom, Cadillac Racing's new ATS-V.R racecar will begin the Pirelli World Challenge GT 2015 season March 7-8 at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas. Cadillac Racing is the three-time defending manufacturer's and driver's champion in the series, which features legendary marques such as Audi, Ferrari and Porsche.

The ATS-V will be assembled at the Lansing Grand River assembly plant in Michigan.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    I agree. Nice looking car, based on the raves from the press for the handling prowess of the regular ATS, this car should be a monster.

Jimmy

3. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Options Pricing from Car and Driver Blog:

Cadillac just revealed the price of the M3-hunting ATS-V a mere two days ago—$61,460 gets you into the sedan, $63,660 if you prefer two doors—and now a forum post on ATS-V.org purports to have the full pricing information for every available option. Come, let’s take a trip down speculative specification lane!

First off: We can’t absolutely confirm that these numbers are legit. They do, after all, come from an internet forum, which is shorthand for “reader beware.” But Caddy dealers have begun taking orders on the mid-size missile this week, so it’s not far-fetched to imagine that some online sleuths sussed out the whole spec list. We wouldn’t write a check based on an internet forum post alone, but these numbers seem to check out.

With all that being said, let’s dive in:

Track Performance Package (RPO Code: Y4Q) – $6195
    ◾Includes Carbon Fiber Package, priced separately below
    ◾Includes Performance Data and Video Recorder, priced separately below
    ◾Low Mass Battery
    ◾Deleted Items: Carpeted Front Floor Mats; Carpeted Rear Floor Mats; Tire Inflation Kit; Tow Hooks
    ◾Deleted options are added back with addition of the Protection Package (RPO Code: WPQ)

Painted Brake Calipers $595
    ◾Red (J6F)
    ◾Dark Gold (J6J)

Luxury Package (RPO Code: Y91) $2500
    ◾Includes Cadillac CUE and Navigation, priced separately below
    ◾Sport Alloy Pedals
    ◾Universal Home Remote
    ◾High Intensity Headlamps
    ◾Split-Folding Rear Seat (Not available with the Track Performance Pack)

2016 Cadillac ATS-V sedan

Cadillac CUE and Navigation (RPO Code: Y26) $1085
    ◾Cadillac CUE with Embedded Navigation
    ◾Bose Premium Surround Sound 10-Speaker System (the V coupe gets an extra pair of speakers for 12 total)
    ◾110-volt Power Receptacle

Head-Up Display (RPO Code: UV6) $425
    ◾Included in the Safety & Security Package

Performance Data & Video Recorder (RPO Code: UQT) $1300
    ◾Requires CUE and Navigation Pack; included with Track Performance Package

Seats
    ◾Recaro Performance Seats (RPO Code: W2E) $2300

Steering Wheels
    ◾Sueded Microfiber (Requires Sueded Microfiber Shifter) (RPO Code: 53S) $300
    ◾Steering Wheel Mounted Paddle Shifter (Automatic-only) (RPO Code: K87)

Sunroof (RPO Code: CF5) $1050
    ◾Requires Luxury Package; unavailable with Track Package

2016 Cadillac ATS-V coupe

Carbon Fiber Package (RPO Code: CFZ) $5000
    ◾Carbon Fiber Front Splitter
    ◾Hood Vent Trim
    ◾Rear Diffuser
    ◾Composite (non-carbon) Black Rocker Extensions
    ◾Composite (non-carbon) Body Color Rear Spoiler

Safety and Security Package (RPO Code: PCW) $1850
    ◾Advanced Security Package
    ◾Driver Awareness Package
    ◾Rear Thorax Air Bags
    ◾Head-Up Display
    ◾Requires Luxury Package; not available with Track Performance Pack

Protection Package (RPO Code: WPQ) $305
    ◾Carpeted Front Floor Mats
    ◾Carpeted Rear Floor Mats
    ◾Tire Inflation Kit
    ◾Tow Hooks
    ◾Replacement package for items deleted in the Track Performance Package

Polished Wheels (RPO Code: R38) $900
    ◾18- x 9-inch Front Wheels
    ◾18- x 9.5-inch Rear Wheels
    ◾Polished Finish

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ◾2016 Cadillac ATS-V Dissected: Chassis, Powertrain, Design, and More
    ◾Watch Cadillac’s New ATS-V Rip Off a 0-138-0-mph Run
    ◾2016 Cadillac CTS-V: In-Depth with the Four-Door Corvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, all in, it looks like you could configure yourself a mighty, twin-turbo powered Cadillac to go toe-to-toe with the BMW M3 and M4 for less than $70,000 if you played your cards right. This fight is just about ready to heat up.

4. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #4 SMS, Feb 25, 2015
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    So when all is said and done, really the same price as a M3, plus youre stuck with cue. Still 455 hp sounds enticing and we know an ATC steers better than a BMW

6. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the V is going to be a massive hit for Cadillac. If it were available in AWD I'd consider trading up from my 3.6 daily driver.

7. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    CUE really isn't bad after you get the hang of it.

8. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #8 ForzaV12, Feb 25, 2015
    I recently purchased a new ATS as a DD. This car reminds of why BMWs used to be good.
    It steers, handles and has brake feel better than my last couple year old BMW. GM has been working hard to not only produce the best chassis in the segment, but also the lightest. It is a very good car, fun to drive and light on its feet. I opted for the turbo four with about 300HP. So far its delivering about 30 MPG. The CUE/touchscreen works fine for any one that is even remotely familiar with a smart device and the voice activated controls are also quite good.
    The interior is assembled well and has a sporty feel with very comfortable seats. So far the Cadillac dealer has been great and the car has a very good warranty and complementary service, loaner cars,etc.
    I may just give this car to my wife in a year or two and pop for the V. I didn't want to be in too deep if I didn't like the car. So far its been great!

9. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Steve,
    Are the air dam and side skirts the factory accessories or aftermarket pieces? Looks really nice.

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    They say the same thing about anal.

Even the germans have figured out that certain basic heavily used functions need a button or knob, secondary functions go on a screen.
    If you live somewhere cold where gloves are a part of the morning routine cue is 100% useless.
    If not being distrated from driving is a virtue, then muscle memory and knobs keep you focussed, scrolling through a screen does not.
    Cue exists because its cheaper to just wire something and have afew chips, not have knobs, and call it the future. Its an example of
    cluelessnees at parts of GM and the attitude in some circles thta the customer is a muppet.

Yeah I agree the ATS has a great chassis, the type BMW would have built if they still built drivers cars, now they need to get the rest together.
    Seems there are new mtors comming.

The V looks interesting, very interesting. Its quite possble thta in a few years Cadillac really will be a prestige brand again, backed by desireable product.

11. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    I did not get the cue in my ATS. The basic controls are still not very good. You have to be real careful selecting a radio station that other parts of your hand don't brush the climate controls. That and if you want a CD player its in the glove box! Talk about distracted driving.
    My only complaints with the ATS turbo I have are that and the rocker panels are so rolled under that I can't keep the lower sides clean. Modifications like on Steve's silver car above and of course the ground effects on the V cars solves that. As a driver it's fantastic. I can't wait to try it with another 150+ hp.

12. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    It looks amazing in white. They are ultra rare over here, I see a Cadillac every 4 months at best...

13. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I actually threw my back out (aggravated a bulging disc) cleaning those damn rocker panels. I noticed on the Caddy forum that there's an aftermarket supercharger in it's final phases of testing. Should be interesting, assuming the price is right.

14. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I see you have strong feelings about this. :D.

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose, because I've never used anything better. The system in my Stingray is very similar, and I like it too. Not saying there aren't better systems out there, I just haven't used them.

I traded-in a 2010 CTS for the ATS, and that's what I'm comparing the CUE to. I loved the CTS, but the stereo sucked.

15. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Dealer installed aero kit. The fit and finish is excellent and the cost was very reasonable.

Oh relax. The CUE system works well and doesn't require much if any more distraction than knobs. BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar and others use the center fiddly knob now, even though it was widely panned when introduced.
    Most of the ATS controls are found on the steering wheel, including a very good voice activated feature-both are better than looking for a knob. Of course, familiarity allows an owner to reach and adjust a knob without looking. Amazingly enough, I can do the same with my CUE touchscreen. A simple swipe of tap can easily be done without looking once you drive the car more than a few times.
    Gloves? The car has heated seats, mirrors, steering wheel,etc-what would be the purpose for gloves as those things heat up nearly instantly?
    The Cadillac is already the segment leader in a number of areas and completely competitive now in a number of segments. The lazy lemmings that stumble blindly into the Euro lots without so much as an objective comparison are doing themselves a disservice.
    I did the comparison and have owned recent and vintage examples of all the Euro competitors-I chose the Cadillac. Some folks are buying giant Gucci bags when they shop for an automobile, ie, they couldn't tell you anything about heritage, features or performance-they simply buy what they perceive to be a "status" purchase.
    I understand a Euro purchase when swimming at the very high end of the luxury market as Cadillac doesn't currently offer anything to compete with an S-Class. I think that will change in the near future. At the entry level, mid priced and performance segments, Cadillac mixes it up with the best.

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I love the ATS, just can't afford one at the moment!

17. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    The ATS-V just completed it's first race of the season, the Pirelli World Cup at COTA in Austin.
    O'Connell in the Cadillac took 3rd on podium behind the Risi Ferrari and Porsche. The ATS turned the 2nd fastest lap in the race bested only by the Lamborghini Gallardo team who finished a little way back in 10th.

18. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Love the Caddy! Where did you see the race at? Could not find anything online even so figured it would be tape delayed on TV next week.

19. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth

With great respect, you're way behind the curve, Sean. Put Cue aside - I'm not familiar with it but then when I'm driving, I'm driving. I've never had the radio on in any of the seven Ferraris and one Maserati I've owned or the two Cadillacs.

Cadillac has been building world-class cars since at least 2006 when I bought my STS-V, the best all-around sedan I've ever driven, and that includes the two top-of-the-line BMWs I've owned, and Mercedes', Audis, Lexi, Bentleys, Peugeots, the lot. It is certainly true that Cadillac's reputation along with all the GM brands has been saddled with the public perception of the mediocre cars they produced for decades. But my STS-V and the 2008 CTS that my experience with the V prompted me to buy have been utterly trouble-free through a combined 70,000 miles of driving - one recall for the headlight scpritzers, another for the key fobs. And both are world-class in their niches.

IMHO this ATS-V will be a spectacular car and at a very competitive price.

20. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Pirelli World Cup website. They have live stream video and post some commentary.

21. bcc

bcc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 31, 2006
    DFW Texas
    Full Name:
    Brent
    The ATS-V has an available STICK - Awesome.

So what would you do: save some bucks and get a used CTS-V (seem to be plentiful in 40Ks) or pony up for new ATS-V?

(assuming coupe v. coupe OR sedan v. sedan, too bad no Wagon option)

22. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Brent, I'd say it depends on your use. Candidly since you appear to like the wagon, if you're not going to track the car and you can find one, buy a CTS-V wagon. They're discontinued and IMHO will have a serious collector value some day: a violently fabulous performance vehicle with the usefulness of a wagon. At a big race weekend (won by the Cadillac CTS-V cars) at Lime Rock a couple of years ago I was lucky enough actually to drive one of the then-brand-new CTS-V wagons on track. Absolutely beyond belief!

The world-class engineering that has gone into today's Cadillacs, up and down the line, is truly mind-blowing.

23. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    +1

24. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy