C7Z 10.69 @ 130mph | FerrariChat

C7Z 10.69 @ 130mph

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Eric R, Feb 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
  2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
  3. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    135K, 93 octane, 4500lbs, cranked up boost, voided warranty, overstressed drive train and soon a very expensive Ka-Boom!

No thanks, I'll keep the Corvette.

4. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    No doubt. Not to mention awd too as a huge advantage to get out of the hole. You can mod a Pinto to be faster but it is still a Pinto.

5. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK

I would be willing to bet the the drag radials would do damage to the C7Z long before the stage 1 tune on the Audi does

6. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    Drag radials means no longer stock or streetable. Impressive trap speed though. Interesting t that it is so much higher than the manual trans car.

7. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Jimi900, why do you say that? Please give me so educational info that leads you to that conclusion. Most believe that if the tires were smaller then the results would have been even better. So tire comparisons will be forthcoming. As for the audi it has way more mods to it that just drag radials.

8. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I also have to say I have never seen anyone cross shopping a corvette with an audi s series. Which goes back to my statement that anything can be made to go fast. What do you want to pilot with minimal expense to get there?

9. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    Drag radials are totally streetable. Been running Nitto and BFG drag radials on a few of my cars for years. Gotta be a little careful if you get caught in the rain, but otherwise it's fine.

10. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
  11. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    The Audi doesn't have "way more mods." It only has a $3k ECU reflash and runs standard 93 octane (not available in California). I posted it merely because I remembered the 1/4 mile time and thought it was funny it was literally the same exact time. They aren't competitors when it comes to shopping, but I'd love to have both. :) It's nice to see that Z ran at my hometown strip at Orlando Speedworld.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The Audi will self destruct with in a year. They are a crappy, crappy car. The vette will "take a licking and keep on ticking" long after the Audi is in the scrap yard where it belongs.

I'm currently yanking the engine on a V10 A8. Massive carbon build up in the valves, and valve seals leaking. Car only has 80k km on it. The owner has spent just with me over 20k in maintenance on it in 3 years.

I keep Brand new A4 engines IN STOCK, because of the amount oil burning issues they have. Crappy PCV systems and very poor ring sealing.

The corvettes, oil changes and upgrades. That's it. Early Z06 cars had valve seat issues, but that was fixed by GM very early on.

13. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    I'd say German cars in general should be lease-only with Porsche being the exception to that for the reasons you state. Of course an ECU tune wouldn't be allowed on a lease car, but it's still pretty quick for what it is. I have no desire to own a modern MB, BMW, or Audi outside of warranty. My friend had a B5 S4 back in 2002 that had the same issues you describe...still loved the car, but wouldn't touch one with a 10 foot pole.

I expect the current Z to be reliable based on the prior gens and have no problem going to trackdays every once in while. I'll keep from going off topic again and try to keep it back to discussion on the Z.

14. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Wow $3k for to reprogram the ECU? I bought HP Tuners for $350 and tune my car myself (of course with help from a knowledgeable source).

15. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    All cars have their issues. I know of Z06's that have had the engines replaced as many as 3 times with less than 30,000 miles on them. Piston slap, oiling issues at the track, etc. are also known problems. They aren't the problem free golden child that some make them out to be. Neither are all german cars the unreliable beasts that they get made out to be.