Original 1967-1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS Ad Agency Mock-ups / Proposals | FerrariChat

Original 1967-1969 Chevrolet Camaro SS Ad Agency Mock-ups / Proposals

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by so_choice, Mar 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #1 so_choice, Mar 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thought I'd share my latest acquisition - these are original advertising agency mock-ups / proposals for Chevrolet Camaro SS / Nova SS / Chevelle SS magazine ads. According to the seller I purchased these from, they originate from the Campbell Ewald ad agency, which makes sense as they were Chevrolet's agency during this time. They aren't marked, however, so I'm not certain.

These items are rough mockups - 2 are hand drawn and 2 are 'collages' with cut-out images glued to paper. The cut out images were clearly done by an artist using a fine knife as they are extremely neat and trimmed very professionally. Other than the main slogans, they use lines or lorem ipsum as place holders for text not yet created. I have collected literature for a while now and have never come across anything like these - they're really an incredible view into the behind the scenes creative process at the time.

More detail:

1) 1969 Camaro SS - hand drawn with the slogan "To come close to Corvette, we picked the best sports car brains around - our own'. I've seen this slogan used before but never this type of image.

2) 1968 Camaro - hand drawn with the slogan "The cars you hate to get out of". This one included a very rough concept sketch which describes the figure to be included as "an older sporty (Barry?) Goldwater type with a beard and large sunglasses"

3) Collage image with the slogan "Chevrolet Builds them Healthier". Ad was to cover Nova SS350, Camaro SS and Chevelle SS 396. (1967/68?)

4) Collage image with the slogan "Chevrolet Turbo-Jet V8s are what put the soup in super sporting". Covers Camaro SS and Chevelle 396 (1967/68?)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Certainly a great 'find' you have there! The #4 shows 1968 Camaro Chevelle and Corvette. The Camaro and Chevelle have the black paint between the tail lights which denotes a '396' version model. The panel between the tail lights would simply be body color on the small block version. The black paint between the tail lights was also carried over on the 1969 and 1970 396 version Camaro models to. However the 1969 427 Camaro models had the panel between the tail lights painted the body color.
    Interesting that the 1969 mock up picture is of a 1967 Camaro which makes me think these were early advertising ideas they were trying out. Are there any more from the same source you found for these advertising images? Wonder what else is stored away. Often the children have no interest in this stuff and eventually it just gets tossed out...

3. so_choice

so_choice Formula Junior

Dec 25, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks! I definitely noticed that some of the cars don't match the years featured. Due to the nature of the pieces as rough concept mock-ups, I would imagine that the creator was more interested in finding a picture at the right angle to use, rather than the years or models being 100% accurate. These also may have been produced before the agency had access to actual images of the new models.

I purchased these online - they were poorly advertised and amazingly there were no other bidders as a result. I did ask the seller for more information about the origin, but unfortunately he did not reply. I'm very confident they are real but really wish I could find more information about exactly who made them and whether they influenced any actual campaigns. I've asked on some Camaro forums but no new info as of yet. These were the only ones listed but I would love to purchase more like these.

4. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Very cool!

5. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  6. so_choice