Mustang vs. Vette | FerrariChat

Mustang vs. Vette

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Attitude928, Mar 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #1 Attitude928, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I've always been a Mustang fan. The 'Vette has some curves, but other than that it doesn't really excite me.

3. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    #3 Attitude928, Mar 15, 2015
    The Mustang has a bored out engine and the 190hp in the Vette was replaced with a Jasper 350. The Vette is easier to drive since it holds the road better. The 1980 suspension was better than the crappy engine. The Jasper engine likes to set off car alarms, and the T-roof is real nice on a sunny day. The Mustang is a bit of a beast at speed, but has a lot of character. The body was "Shelbyized," complete with roll bar. Shaker hood is fun to watch when you tear out. You have to watch the back end through the twisties.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Hard to argue with a Mustang fastback.

5. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

agreed.

6. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Between those two pictured, neither. And I have owned several corvettes over the last 20yrs.

7. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I'm a Corvette fan, but that Mustang gets my heart pumping!

8. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

I'm a long term Mustang fan, but lately have been shopping C1 and C2 Corvettes. I always had thought of picking up a classic Mustang some day, but I have owned a few late models and am still holding onto one of them so I feel like it is time to diversify beyond my fascinations with F cars (Ferrari and Ford).

Any opinions on C1/C2 Vettes vs. 60's Mustangs?

9. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    jpk - if you can provide more info would be more helpful. Such as budget, desired use, etc. Most agree that the C2 body is the best. I personally would not spend the same amount I would on a '67 427/435hp car on a mustang. Do you want all original or a resto mod? Again that would depend on use. If you want to drive it long distance that needs to be considered. While I respect mustang for what they are I have no desire to actually own one.

10. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    My 54 Vette and my 65 Vette have both been great and dependable.

Radial tires on the 1965 Vette improve handling a lot. It makes no difference on the 1954 Vette.

The 1954 Vette has a manual choke and takes a while to pull gas from the tank to the motor. So it takes a little motor grinding to get it running from a cold start. Once the car is started it kicks over easily the rest of the day and the next day. My 54 Vette can sit for 4 months before I take it out. It starts in a predictable way.

My mid year Vette is a 1965 so it is the first year with disk brakes all four quarters. My car is the 327/ 365hp motor. I think the 63 to 67 Vettes are one of the most attractive exterior cars ever. They drive more modern with fair power. I have AC in my car.

Good luck with what ever car you choose. Both cars have gone up in value while Ive owned them.

Best

Lee

11. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

#11 jpk, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    I like both the C1 and C2, I myself might even lean towards C2 because it's more muscle car. But the wife has stated that she's for the C1 over a C2 or a 60's Mustang, so that's what I've got approval to add to the garage. And I like the classic 50's look of a C1, even though it's a bit less masculine.

I'm shopping well restored drivers under $100K. Not looking for a museum piece. I do want the original look, not a modernized hot rod. So I want a car with mostly restored or original parts but can accept a non-original motor or transmission to keep the price and maintenance sane. I've found examples $60K-$70K that look like they'd make for good weekend cruisers and still feel good about showing well at a car show.

12. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Ok so I am hearing you say a cruiser and drive in/car show thing that is pretty much original. If I am correct then I think you should go drive one first and then come back and see if you have anything to revise. The C1 looks great but drives not so great in original form. Not trying to change your mind but if I was looking for one I would like to have the updated C4 suspension under it and probably a late model small block in it. Will ride and drive much nicer and be more reliable.

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    #13 WILLIAM H, Mar 17, 2015