big block 60's vette...... | FerrariChat

big block 60's vette......

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by henryr, Mar 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i've been monkeying around with buy a BB c1 vette... likely a coupe... nice, clean original car that i can drive.

i don't want to overpay. get taken... buy the wrong condition car etc....understands that whole spectrum of price, originality, condition, etc

the matching numbers thing / fakes / re stamps, etc has destroyed the collector base in these and other cars imho... makes it very hard to know what you are buying.

are there corvette buyers brokers ?

my local vette club is 90% new stuff.

2. Face76

Face76 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2006
    The Other Oz
    Full Name:
    M Wilborn
    You probably mean a C2 or C3. C1 was all small block unless you want a car with a replacement block.

As to brokers, I am sure there are some out there. Corvette Mike comes to mind. I also think that it comes down to how much you want to drive it. Some brokers are hooked into the real significant, high dollar cars while there must be others that merely perform PPI-like services so that you know what you are getting. Local NCRS judges should be able to help.

Personally, I always enjoyed small blocks more on a daily basis. If a big block is a must then a low horsepower car sounds the best. The higher horsepower big blocks had 3x2 set-ups which can be troublesome on a daily basis. The exception would be the 65-66 solid lifter cars which have 4 barrel carbs but make less than stellar daily drivers.

66-390 horse
    67-390
    68-390
    69-390
    70-390
    71-270?
    72-270?

Ever thought of a 71-72 LT-1 small block car? 70 had a higher compression motor so harder to drive daily but the 71 and 72 will take lower octane. All cars will have trouble with ethanol though.

3. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    As a life long fan and owner of several since '95 the classic's are awesome. So I recommend that you determine how you want to use it. As stated above the C1 did not come with a big block. The C2 which did have inherent driving issues in stock form. Mostly if not tuned correctly it would overheat. If not hung up on original getting a rest version could work. They have modern running gear giving them reliability and easier to use. But they are not all original. Current market prices for these are as high as the all originals for the benefits stated.

Personally I have always dreamed of owning a 67/427/435hp car for years. Since I am not a collector and want to drive it I have learned that this car will always be on my wish list. It is not something to take a trip along the coast. Not that I wouldn't do it but I would most likely run into issues. In a rest-mod I would not.

4. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    that was a typo - yes a c2.... 1965 - 1967

LT1 are indeed small blocks and again are probably more for sale than were actually built. buyer beware.

Tenney - ill check the link

5. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have both big and small block C2's and C3's. As others have mentioned, the small blocks are quite a bit more street able. The biggest issue with the HP BB cars is that they were never designed to run in today's heavy traffic and tend to overheat. They also will not run very well on today's pump gas and require someone that knows what they are doing to properly tune them(if you aren't inclined to do so). I have a 69 BB that has had a custom radiator(that looks mostly stock) and a few other minor tweaks that runs fine in traffic without overheating. It still requires a custom fuel cocktail though.
    I have another that was rebuilt with the goal of running today's fuels-it too, works well and looks mostly stock.
    I enjoy restomods too, but have found that a properly built big or small block original engine will work just as well and look much better sitting in the engine bay of a vintage Corvette. I have a stroked small block that makes near 500HP and looks mostly stock and runs fantastic.

6. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    well if anyone see anything of interest.. post it up.

7. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    #8 toggie, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I love my 1965 Corvette convertible, has a 327 cu in engine with 350 hp.
    Lots of fun to drive and spare parts are easy to get.
    I've owned for over 15 years now.

1965 was the first year for disc brakes on all four wheels.
    Be aware that there isn't much trunk room in a Mid-Year convertible - especially with the top down.
    All you have is the space behind the two seats.

What's fun about the mid-year Corvettes is being able to tailor them any way you want.
    I put the following non-original parts on it:
    - side exhaust used on 67 Corvettes
    - rally alloy wheels, look like knock-offs but have the 5 lug nuts under the center chrome cover.
    - modern radial white-wall tires
    - modern much-brighter headlight bulbs
    - electronic ignition hidden under the distributor cap
    - put the dual master cylinder brake system from the 67 Corvette in as a replacement for the single master cylinder that came on the car in 65. Had to run a second brake line along the frame to get the x pattern for each brake cylinder. Much safer than a single cylinder brake system. Note that engine picture below still shows the original single master cylinder brake system.

Car still looks basically stock, but obviously a "driver" and not a show car.

You might want to get a 1967 car instead of a 63 - 66 one because of the few things that only come on that model year:
    - side exhaust
    - stinger hood
    - 5 vents on each side
    - dual master cylinder brakes
    - seat headrest option
    - flat finish rocker panels
    - single back-up light above rear license plate
    - hand brake between the seats (mine is a pull handle below left dash)
    The 67 cars are more expensive but they will always be the more desirable Mid-Year cars.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. SBR1

SBR1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    Henry, I have been an avid collector of L88 and 67 435 hp Corvettes for over thirty years. I would be happy to help you in finding the right car.

9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ^^^^ where located... send me a pm

tks

10. SBR1

SBR1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    PM sent

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have owned corvettes of every generation for years and still do . I have a 66 390hp / 427
    red coupe with factory air and factory side pipes 4spd restored and in very very nice condition looks like afresh restoration it is NCRS certified ..anyway thinking about selling it..
    if you are interested let me know.. I have owned it about 8 years...

12. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    not a fan of red but i'd love to see pics

13. Tims16M

Tims16M Karting

May 14, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    would you be interested in a C3 71' LS6 corvette? Rare maybe 180 made. All correct and to my knowledge original. Silver /black.

14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Always loved the mid years coupes - especially '66 and '67. Nassau blue with rallye hubs.

Small block with 4-spd would have been perfect. I shopped them about 10 years ago, way out of my price range then, and I scored a beautiful '66 E-Type coupe instead.

Still would love a '66 Corvette coupe one day!!! Good luck on your search!

15. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Have you got a black 435 roadster with the radio 'delete' option?

16. SBR1

SBR1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    Yes

17. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Owned a 66 427 2 top Car from 66-70 and for what it's worth it with the early transistor ignition was a great car. It had 390hp, 336 posi rear, teak wood steering wheel , side exhaust. This car was a daily driver, long distance driver (snow ,ice and rain). No failures other than a bad transistor once. This car along with my 72 Ferrari Dino top my list for should have never sold. The 66 was the first year for side pipes.
    I would stay away from 396 produced in 65. In it's day lots of engine failures. Might check Pro team Corvettes in Ohio. They always have quite a variety of C-2 Stingrays and have been around for a long, long time. I have never done business with them, but it's a place to look and exclude and they are informative.

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Side exhaust was available mid-year 1965.

19. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Hi Henry,
    I am an owner of an Ermine white/blk 65' coupe for 38 years. orig 327/300 hp. 3rd engine rebuild 1990, mild cam. Over the years I have personalized the car for me, i.e. recaro seats, factory side pipes, 65' big block hood, front spoiler... For most of my ownership the car stayed with manual steering and the muncie 4 spd. Now that I and the vette are solidly into middle age I have added power brakes, power steering and a 5 spd for convenience .

Bottom line, decide your end game for the car, collector- investment , or driver fun car.

There are lot's to choose from, take your time, have fun

20. kalinsd

kalinsd Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2010
    Washington
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #21 kalinsd, Mar 24, 2015
    '65 BB (396ci/425hp) Coupe. Rally Red/White Leather Interior:

Parts are hard to find since these early BB cars were only produced during the last 6 months of production. This car as configured, is very low in production volume.

NCRS Top Flight

Agree with others, BB Cars not that friendly on crowded roads unless all systems are in top notch shape.

Have a 62 Roadster 340hp and 63 Coupe 340hp. Both fine cars to drive.

DJ

21. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    very nice...

i am partial to the blues

my dad got a 67 vert for graduation. if he'd get of his ass and find the VIN maybe i could track it down..

22. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I need me a 67 427/435 horse conv with side pipes and knock-offs! Someone please post a pic

23. SBR1

SBR1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015
    #24 SBR1, Mar 25, 2015
  24. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Oh baby