Will the new Ford GT be like the Jag XK220? | FerrariChat

Will the new Ford GT be like the Jag XK220?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by James_Woods, Apr 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    If you have seen the latest Car & Driver, then you have seen the new Ford GT concept.

A beautiful car - arguably more beautiful than the previous version.

However: It will have only a 3.5 liter turbo V6 - at about $400,000.

Remember when Jaguar told everybody that the 220 would have a V12, and then did the same thing? (boosted V6)... Remember how about half the people with orders asked for their deposits back and the car became a big sales disappointment?

Could the same thing happen with this new Ford GT?

If I were looking for a car in this price range, I would demand at least a V8, and a bigger one than 3.5L at that.

2. ghibliman

ghibliman Formula Junior

Feb 19, 2009
    Jaguar announced one thing and and changed their tune. That situation bares no similarity to the release of new Ford GT

If you don't want a V6 then don't but one. If you're okay with a V6 GOOD LUCK TRYING TO GET ONE.

Based on the projected release these cars will be tucked away in the collections of the elite and be worth a fortune.

3. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Yes, at least Ford is not being deceptive about the V6.

However, I still wonder about the perception of such an engine in a near half million dollar car.

4. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I think it will do fine as this is the direction successful endurance race cars are going towards... The fact that it will race with the same engine it will be produced with will help it quite a bit.

Saw the car at the NYIAS last week and absolutely loved it.

5. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    The only thing Ford needs to worry about is performance. Must be low zero to sixty and quarter mile times. In other words it must be a reasonable priced super car, not just an exotic.

6. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    #6 DIGMAN52, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    James, the good news is Chip Ganassi Racing has been using the Eco-boost 6 cyl for a year now with great success.

FORD RACING GETS AN "ECOBOOST"

There was some initial questions and disappointment on the fordgtforum, but most now believe that the performance of the 600+ hp TT v-6 will outweigh not having the typical American V-8.

With only 250 getting produced a year, there is not much hope of us seeing one for sale locally until after the big dealers tire of theirs.

I think the car looks amazing, and kudos to Ford for keeping it a secret until the unveil, as well as producing the car and racing it too !

Google some of the race-car liveries some photoshoppers have done. Some cool looks there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    While I'm not a buyer, I don't see any issue with the V6...fine engine for this application / car.

8. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    Nice photo :)

9. James_Woods

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Phil, nobody can question the good looks of this car...

But I agree - it may be near impossible to get your hands on one. Did you have to deposit in advance of production for your previous generation FGT?

Maybe the exotic market has moved on and wants the smaller lighter cars with smaller lighter engines.

10. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I 'believe' the world economy was tanking when the 220 was released ?

At the time, the collector car market was also in a free fall.

11. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The Jag did not deliver what it originally promised. This Ford should be able to follow through. The '05/06 GT is one of my favorite cars, and as a tribute to the original, I think it pulled it off wonderfully.
    The modern car should be very close to the track car, and that makes it special. I would love to see a V8 manual, but it's just not going to happen. And it wouldn't follow the intentions of the program.

12. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Look at that awful 993/996 GT1 and how that was such a flop *insert sarcasm*