Most iconic American designs of each decade | FerrariChat

Most iconic American designs of each decade

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by jpk, Apr 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

I've been mulling over what my favorite cars are from each decade since the 50's and how they've either stood the test of time or come to stand as a symbol of that decade. Here's my list. What do you think were the most influential, were the spirit of the decade, or have become synonymous with the period?

1950s: Chevrolet Bel-Air
    While I would say the Cadillacs better demonstrated the absolute excess and bravado of the period, the Chevy is the car you think of when you think 1950s. You can't help it, it's like the Ace of Spades when you think of a deck of cards. Has to be the icon of the 50's.

1960s: Ford Mustang
    Power to the people. The car that gives good looks at a good price and makes you feel great. The Model T of muscle cars.

1970: Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am
    The 1970s were the beginning of the downfall of the Big 3. Terrible quality, terrible designs, and no one seemed to care at the time. The Firebird Trans-Am tried to break out, with its unique shape and bold hood graphics. While its easy to confuse all the cars of the era with their big box shapes and square noses, the Firebird is instantly recognizable to this day and became a hero in TV and film.

1980s: Delorean DMC-12
    The Big 3 stopped making good cars and Japan was kicking their butt. What is the icon? The Dodge mini-van? Gimme a break. Only a cocaine dealer could break out in America and design something that is pure 80s.

1990s: Dodge Viper
    OK, someone call Caroll Shelby. Detroit needs to be saved before the lights turn out. The Viper made a big statement, threw down the gauntlet, and woke everyone in the USA up.

2000s: Ford GT
    Someone called Caroll Shelby again and this time America is back! The retro era is born and American cars are finally good again by blending classic American design with high performance and offering both at a good price. The Ford GT is an instant classic and doubles in value in a decade.

2. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

It's only halfway through the 2010s, so too early to say what American design will define the decade. But I'll say the top candidate is probably going to be the Tesla Model S.

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    1958 Chrysler 300

1963/4/5/6/7 Corvette Roadster

1970 Trans Am works

1980's Ewwwww

After that not really sure I care. Cars became a product of legislation and group think like never before. Some nice driving cars to be sure but nothing that is going to get me to buy a book and read about them or a picture just to look at. Iconic does not apply.

4. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Haha, last I checked, the Ferrari was designed and built in Italy. I was talking American cars in this forum.

5. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    ..IMHO..the fifties Chevy I'd want is the fifty eight,hands down shut the door.
    ..the 64-66 stang was good(well,the fb) but the really nice pony/muscle is the 67-69 Camaro,design wise..it sits well today even.
    ..and the sixties stingray was gorgeous..
    Cheers,
    RE

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    '58 Chevvy? Seriously? :eek:

7. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

For the 60s, I had to pick one. The Corvette was influenced by European designs (split window). And while it was indeed the best looking car made, it had limited influence. It basically defined the future of Corvettes.

The Camaro was a masculine derivative of the Mustang. A me too after the Mustang came out.

The 60s Mustang literally defined American cars for the modern era. It was neither too masculine nor too feminine. It had such global appeal that it's still coveted to this day despite massive production and a cheap construction.

8. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Not a bad list. I'm not completely sold on the DMC, though I'm hard pressed to give a better example (possibly the 80's Camaro?). Wasn't the car designed by Guigiaro and built in N. Ireland? Also had a Peugeot engine (or Renault?). It was intended for the US target market, I'll give you that.

The design has always seemed a bit derivative to me. Has some strong hints of M1 in the DNA, which isn't surprising since Guigiaro designed both.

9. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Yeah, I had to go to the DeLorean because I literally couldn't think of another car that was iconic that was American. The 80s Camaro Z28 was a good looking car, I will give you that. But it doesn't remind you of the MTV, Ronald Reagan, 1980s in any way. It isn't a car you think of being synonymous with the 80s. A DeLorean does do that with it's Back to the Future, boxy, 80s sports car design. The only other thing that comes close to forcing you to think of the 80s when you look at is the Dodge Caravan or Ford Taurus.

10. OhioMark

OhioMark Formula Junior

Feb 16, 2006
    50's : Buick Skylark
    60's : 63' Corvette Coupe
    70's: Lotus Esprit
    80's: GNX
    90's: Viper
    00's: Ford GT
    10's: Most Lambos'

11. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Interesting choice on the Grand National for 80s.

Hey, I'm pretty sure Lotus and Lamborghini are not American companies.

12. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    "Also had a Peugeot engine (or Renault?). It was intended for the US target market, I'll give you that."

I think it was a Volvo Engine.

Joe

13. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Yeah, they outsourced a lot of the car. But DeLorean was based in Detroit and final finish work was done in the US prior to delivery (mostly because of shoddy quality done at the overseas assembly line).

The DeLorean was not a good car. It was totally 80s Detroit in that respect. All show, no go, and spotty quality. And the "futuristic" design influence of angular Star Wars spaceships, which of course are incredibly dated to the 80s now. I think it's so 80s, it's the perfect symbol of American cars of the time. The fact that a coke dealer ran the company makes it more so.

14. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #14 Hoodude, Apr 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ..again IMHO..but biased,ok?
    ..the stang was a stroke,Lee killed it(maybe the significant post war car) but design wise the Camo was a smooth compilation of pinched waist,curves,fastback utilization into a defined roof into deck blend that the stang did not have..its lines were more linear,straight,which gives the nod to the gm...and that sweet Camo center line wave...no question who's first and all props to'em but the curves work it..and the front end is surely neater.
    And yep,the 58 would be the Chevy pour moi,to each owned...so different,longer lower wider bigger chromer,but not so over done ie 59 or 60..and I'll take the convertible,please.;)
    But the Camo,I like its line..witness.
    Cheers,
    RE
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    #15 Hoodude, Apr 15, 2015
  16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I had a Grand National and it still didn't make my list.

17. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Yeah, I have a hard time saying Grand National too because it was a below the radar, sleeper, drag racer cult kind of car. The car didn't influence the mainstream of designs or come to national consciousness in any way.

And to anyone bagging on the Chevrolet Bel-Air of the 1950s, I have to ask - are you kidding? That car is so classic and well known that it literally doesn't even need to be named. You just say '57 Chevy or '58 Chevy or '56 Chevy and you know what car is being discussed. The fact that Chevrolet was making many models and yet there is only one "'57 Chevy" says it all. And it wasn't the '57 Corvette (which was brilliant).

18. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

I hear you, the Camaro Z28 was a mans car and truly a muscle car and arguably a better car.

The Mustang just had more impact on the era. It was a platform that enabled a broad range of models from "secretaries cars" that women loved in light pastel colors (as Carroll Shelby described the base model) to the Shelby GT models that guys loved with racing stripes. It starred in movies from Bullitt to Gone in 60 Seconds. Those involved in its 1960s models became legends: Lee Iacocca, Carroll Shelby, and Larry Shinoda. Everyone knows an immediate family member that used to own one (or does now) and has a story about it. The silver horse badge is globally recognized. I am not saying it's the best American car of the 60s, just the most iconic and left the strongest impact.

19. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    You gave this list some thought.

In the 50's I would say the 1957 Chevy. Still a beautiful car!

The 60's I would say the 1963 - 67 Corvettes

I had a 2009 Viper and hated the car. I bought a 2013 Viper new and it is awesome drivers car

Thank you for the post :)

Best

Lee

20. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    #20 ag512bbi, Apr 15, 2015
  21. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Sorry, but that's a hateful looking design.
    There's just no other way to say it.
    A fat, bulbous design after such great cars like the '55, '56 & '57
    You asked.......

23. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    32 Ford

49 Merc

57 Chevy

64 1/2 Mustang

70 Hemicuda

89 IROC or 5.0 Mustang or Grand National

96 Viper GTS

05 z06 Corvette

11 SVT Raptor

24. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I'm totally cool with your opinion. Everybody has different tastes.

Besides, I actually posted in the wrong thread. It was meant to go in the American muscle thread.

25. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Sorry, I should always preface my opinion by saying ' in my personal opinion' :)