New 'Vette - 7:06 Ring Time | FerrariChat

New 'Vette - 7:06 Ring Time

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by tritone, Jun 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Any one believing this?

"The Chevrolet Corvette Z06 has officially completed its Nurburgring lap and a time will be published soon." (soon? as in, when we decide what we can get away with?)

In a weekly question and answer post on a Corvette forum, Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter confirmed that Chevy recently made a continuous lap (?? traffic, maybe...) of the Nurburgring and is currently putting together the press release and will have the lap time and video out shortly. Although Juechter didn’t reveal the official lap time, he did say “I can tell you we were more than satisfied with the results.”

Chevrolet has attempted twice to put together an official lap on the Nurburgring but was deterred in previous attempts – once due to weather and another after an oil spill occurred on the track from another car, resulting in an accident. Earlier this year, Chevy denied that the Z06 had turned in a Nurburgring lap time of 6:59.

Corvette enthusiasts estimate that the 2016 Corvette Z06 Nurburgring lap time will be between 7:06.43 and 7:08.13. The time for the company to beat is the 2012 lap from the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 that stopped the clock at 7:19.64.

2. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    It will be a major miracle to hit that time. But at least they finally will be publishing!

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If its true its a one lap wonder.
    At the track last tue was chatting to a new z06 owner. First engine failed at 250 miles. Second engine had problems because apprently they didnt use the right oil.

At the track, which was admitedly on a 90+ day he said he cant use full power/revs because after 4 laps he gets an overheat light. The car in stock form also eats its tires.

The fast cars that day were suspension moded C5 and C6 Z06's. They were really fast.

4. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
  5. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    That's an incredible time really. Just awesome.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Headline

Corvette Z0-6 kills the supercars dead.

For one lap;. After that its engine starts to overheat and its tires melt. Very cool for people who buy specs, less so for those who use their cars at trackdays.

7. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    There are plenty of people that track the C& Z06 successfully. The cars that overheat are in the minority.

8. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Many threads out there with guys doing 30min sessions no heat issues. As Phil states its in the minority. The tires do not melt either, that is silly. If you would read the excerpt from Jim Mero he said the best times come within the first lap or two before they heat up. However he also went on to say that they do not fall off drastically. Are you really going to tell me that these Michelin track tires that a lot of other guys run at the track are garbage? Seems like you are looking for any excuse possible to discredit the car when if your were being objective you would ask what would the other cars do with them? But then we are not comparing cars as they are delivered off the showroom floor if we started doing that.

9. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Maybe so-but with a time like that, even if the tires go off a little(you know, just like every race car on the planet), I'm guessing it will still handily destroy that little Lotus you love so much. Heck, it could probably outrun the Lotus even while pulling a trailer with the Lotus on it.

Its a massive achievement-congrats to the GM crew.

10. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    As a Lotus Exige owner, I promise you that Lotus will absolutely kill the Z06 in one category--the Lotus will rattle more and be far less comfortable.

11. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    no offense to the Lotus because it is a HELL of a track car. BUT to daily drive it too would be difficult for me compared to the Z.

12. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #12 docf, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
    A bit presumptuous ! Don't know where you get your comparison. Having owned and liked my Exige you are correct regarding rattle, but add to that not much power, and somewhat darty and very fragile. once in the car found it very comfortable. On short track did well against 430 in the very tight turns , but that was about it. As far as against the C7 Z06 your dreaming other than gas mileage.

13. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    So many C7 Z06 cars on track it is hard to think that some will not have problems. Most of them I've seen are just reliable rockets. I've heard that some of the cars have low fluid levels are typing them of is worth the effort.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #14 boxerman, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

I dont think there is anything wrong with the tires, its the weight of the car. I think Gm half developed a new z06, did the suspension part and ran out of $$$ for the motor so dumped in the zr1 motor, therefore its too heavy and suffers from heat soak. Fine for the street pose.

While you guys may read the press, and get all excited about 1 flying lap. To me that is a totally irrelevant stat for anyone who actualy runs at the track.. What counts is multiple laps, and how the car sustains them.

From what I hear from actual z06 owners is yes the car is fast, but it cant maintain full engine pace on a hot day. Hardley a surprise, superchargers suffer heat soak and GM has set it up conservatively to last 100k miles so the computer dials things back soon.

Nothing to do with a lotus. Fact is at that track(palmer motorsports) on that day 90+ degrees the 2 c7 z06's were absolutely creamed by a c6 and c5 z06. The C6 and C5 were street legal but had modded suspension, we know that stock these are twichy beasts. By comparison the c7 z06 suspension and brakes were very good out the box, its just that the car is now lardy and supercharged which holds it back in the sustained thrust and tire department.

These are reports from actual drivers who own the cars and told to me while we were running at the track. Simply if they went all out, they got engine overheat lights.

BTW a lowly lotus elise will outcorner any of the above vettes on tight corners and pull distance thruogh corners, but also get creamed by vettes lap to lap as in any higher speed corners the vettes have way more drive comingn out of bends and far more speed down straights.

If you want a fast street legal car for the track. IMO the fastest car out there(for under 300K) now is a c6z06 with coilovers and upgraded brakes.

15. GO-RAN

GO-RAN Karting

Nov 22, 2006
    TORONTO
    Problem with the C6 Z is alot of them drop exhaust valves. I loved mine while i had it. Never experienced any problems really but alot of guys who track experience these issues.

16. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    motor trend drivers car of year had z06 dnf at laguna seca. had all kinds of trouble just like viper did few years ago. humiliating for chevy

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
  18. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'd rather have a c5 zo6....from what I hear they are dirt reliable track cars.

19. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    True dat...

I think the C5 Z is dirt reliable because they didn't get to piggish on squeezing the last bit of power out of it, and it has a good (even though it's a wet sump) oiling system.

Because of the above pretty much all you need to do with a C5 Z is add some brake cooling and you have a fast, strong, reliable ride.

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    So the nurbering laptime was acheived on one cooled engine, running just the right fuel and the right oil so that its motor could last one lap.

Single laptimes are imo irrelevant.

The difference between say a new GT3, elise and other so called fast cars is the first two can run consistent laptimes for mutiple laps, the variance being tires and maybe pads, both of which are replaceable consumables, and most others can do maybe 5 fast laps..

Which brings me to tires. So many new cars come with near track R compounds to show great mag test numbers. These tires are RIDICULOUS. Not really useable on the street, and yet if you run on track they will last one day and be hugely expensive to replace, so no serious tracker runs them.

A track laptime shoud be run on track tires with track pads and be a 15 lap average, thats relevant to the sustained performance of a car. Street driving impressions should be done on street tires. The rest as it exists now is just paper spec con game. Not relevant to how someone really uses a car on track, and compromised street performance to acheive a one lap wonder.

The end result is a mega fast vette(in theory) which withers is used with any seriousness on track, like many a lambo a great marketing stunt but not really the real thing..

My way would get us cars that were better in both regimes.

21. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    There have been OEM's playing the sticky tire game since the Dodge GLH and the Rampage had tires with 60 UTQG ratings in the mid 80's. In order to get a 1 g rating they had to knock the cars with a bunch of negative camber and then demo'd it to the magazines... So what's new...

I've been running autocross and track days for over 35 years and I've run on the stickiest tires available from Fulda's to Wingfoots, to P7's to Yokohama 001R's and 008R's to Goodyear "O" compound racing rains to BFG R's. R-1's and Hoosier S04's A5's A6's and R6's.

Since the SCCA changed the stock class rules to a minimum of 200 UTQG tires I've been running the Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Version 2) and all I can say is that "street" tire technology has in the last few years advanced like crazy in terms of grip and wear. We are seeing lateral acceleration of 1.25 G's on a stock C5 Z06 (just alignment and shocks) on these tires and the life is amazing.

It used to be that with a set of "A" compound Hoosiers we'd get about 40 runs and the tires would start to go off (and less than two track days and done). With the R-S3's I've gotten over 10k street miles and a lot of autocross runs and the tires are still decent looking. I expect that I'll get over 15k street miles from them and I'm driving on the street with two degrees of negative camber on the fronts. The cost of a set of these for a C5 Z06 is quiet reasonable, a lot less than the $1,500 I was paying for Hoosiers. And while these tires aren't as grippy as A6's, they are darn close to R6's in terms of lap time. I've not used my trailer to take tires to events or the track in two years and my race prep now is to set the tire pressures check the oil level and make sure there isn't anything loose in the car.

Tire technology is a moving target and the old paradigm of "to get any grip the life will suck" has been to a large extent turned on it's head. I don't have any experience with the tires delivered on the new Corvette, but the technology to have good grip and decent street life is out there now. I don't expect any track rats will use the super sticky Pirellis because they are indeed hideously expensive, but there are tires out there that are streetable and have nearly racing tire grip.

22. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    #22 joker57676, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015

Dude. I hesitate to jump in here since I have merely watched from the sidelines for a while, but damn. Anyone who has even sparsely read your post get it. You really don't need to keep repeating yourself. You've made your point. Repeatedly.

Mark

23. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    +1

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Cool

25. DoctorV8

DoctorV8 Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Sanjay
    Ummm, not exactly. Unless you also think Ferrari dumped the 430 scud motor in the 458 Italia.

Coilovers are optional, but if you really track it, cooling/oiling mods and seats are a must. My 2007 Z06 NASA car is indeed a beast on the road course.