Factory Five racing Daytona coupe or cobra? | FerrariChat

Factory Five racing Daytona coupe or cobra?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by galt, Jul 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Very curious about the Daytona couple or cobra based on the well established FFR kits

Has anyone driven the couple or cobra? Would love to hear about your driving impressions.

2. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I have the Cobra
    Of all of the cars I have all 4 of my family enjoy this car the best. Being a roadster it is kind of like a motorcycle with 4 wheels. It does have a rattle or 2 being a kit car but only over serious bumps which are common here. Handling isn't bad but I don't have the independent rear suspension.

I only have 225 HP but that is a good amount when it only weighs 1900 pounds. Some have 350HP or more. I just don't want that in such a small car.

Cockpit heat is a major issue so if you have one built be sure to take extra caution for the heat. Another reason i didn't go with the larger motor.

I spent most of my budget on paint and the dash and chose to not go overboard on the engine and drive train. Also since it is a kit car expect a long gestation period for small issue that will come up but are usually easy to fix and actually fun to repair. Recently I have had to re-adjust the door latches, the clutch cable failed. Both are design/ build errors. Had to replace the fuel filter but that was caused by our bad gas and 6 moths of winter.

First time I had it at highway speeds I was shocked at how great the ride was at higher speeds just like a motorcycle the higher the speed it seemed much more stable.

If you decide to build one feel free to PM me for questions.

3. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    All good points from f4udriver above. Let me add driving a Cobra Roadster is more like riding a Harley (hot, no escape from sun, wind and rain; loud; smelly, exhaust right under your door). There is great support for FFR, from both the factory as well as the owner's forum and aftermarket.

Are you looking to build one yourself, or looking to buy one already built?

15 years ago, I chose a Superformance, because 1) I can't build a car, 2) I didn't want to buy a kit someone else put together and 3) I didn't want to pay someone to build a kit for me. If I were to do it again, then I would probably lean more towards a Kirkham, and their aluminum body, SST frame and billet suspension is very attractive. However, I'm still very happy with my assembly line manufactured Cobra Replica, as well as the factory and owner's support.

Have fun with your search! There are huge number of options to meet your goal.

Regards,
    Randy...

4. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    One of my friends has a FF Daytona Coupe and he loves it. A few initial teething issues were easily resolved.

5. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback. I am not sure whether I would build one myself or not. The fact that I am unsure makes me think I should not take the risk!

The Kirkham cars seem extremely nice. Really impressed with what FFR has done relative to other kit manufacturers.