Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Other Cars > American Muscle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2017, 07:15 AM
F1 World Champ
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: John Suarez
Bump

So obviously these things are slow and a pain in the behind. Anyone ever drive a heavily modified one with some actual horsepower?

Are there any other motors people drop into these things to improve the driveability?
Old 02-16-2017, 07:29 AM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Juan Sánchez Villa-L
i just bought this....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500 (13).jpg (47.2 KB, 250 views)
Old 02-16-2017, 08:07 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

I had a 95 H1 open back, bought it new in 1995..... I had no issue's with it, but it did lack power... The alpha with the turbo was a much improved truck from what I was told, I buy another, for the fact you don't see many around... and it was a cool truck
Old 02-16-2017, 11:17 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post
i just bought this....
ΙΜΗΟ the H1 is the best Hummer gen the company ever made.

PS. It looks great!!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-17-2017, 06:57 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Michael
I find the worst part of driving the H1 is at night with a flat wind screen the interior reflections from car headlights behind you is a virtual dealbreaker.
However , being The King is worth the pitfall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0771.jpg (69.0 KB, 246 views)
Old 02-17-2017, 07:25 AM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

is that rino lined ?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:26 AM
F1 Veteran

Full Name: Matt F
Now I want one...

Matt
Old 02-17-2017, 08:17 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Matte black wrap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H12345.jpg (61.7 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by msdesignltd; 02-17-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSinNOLA View Post
Bump

So obviously these things are slow and a pain in the behind. Anyone ever drive a heavily modified one with some actual horsepower?

Are there any other motors people drop into these things to improve the driveability?
The ones with the Duramax can be turned up and will really move (for an H1). The Duramax is also a popular swaps the the ealier examples that had the 6.2 or 6.5.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

msdesinltd... that a great looking open top... what year is that? wrap and wheels and tires look killer.... Now I miss mine even more...
Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: mark
well.... im back in! just bought 2000 4 door hardtop (not the wagon type)... have some big plans for it!! should be too me in 2 weeks, then the build gets started. All cosmetics, im completely fine with power etc...
Old 03-20-2017, 03:35 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Buddy
My Garage
I had a 2000 H1 open top. So fun with the top off in the summer cruising around like the king of the hill. Got to take it to the Hummer Homecoming at the factory really cool event.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-20-2017, 05:46 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Friend helped build this hummer. It's still a workin progress but they LineX painted the whole thing. Pretty bad ass.

http://www.loudountribune.com/rogue-...vades-loudoun/
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 PM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Wade O.
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdesignltd View Post
Matte black wrap
Man... that is the most beautiful truck I've ever seen.

Damn.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:32 AM
F1 Veteran

Full Name: Matt F
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
Man... that is the most beautiful truck I've ever seen.

Damn.
I agree.

How much should it cost to wrap an H1?

Matt
Old 03-21-2017, 04:55 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

I had a 2003 H1 Wagon for a couple years. Although it was a blast to drive, my wife and I went out to celebrate the day I sold it, Seriously.

The H1 was the worst vehicle I had ever owned. I maintained it perfectly but always had nothing but problems. You fix one leak, the next week a new leak. Fix that one, a new one appears shortly after. The damn H1 ruined my new driveway due to all the leaks.

Forget about long trips. Going anywhere far is almost just begging to be stranded on the side of the road. It just seemed something was always going bad. It cost more than any of my Ferrari's to maintain. One of my mechanics basically says its too old of a vehicle and that all parts are at the end of their life span such as water pump, starter, steering, etc etc etc.

They are very fun to drive. But there are a few things I would do differently. First off, the over sized tires are a NO GO. Like the picture above where H1 is coming over the sand. If you tried to take that at an angle, the front wheels would go up into the front fender making an horrible noise as tire almost rips the hood off. I had the same problem. It looked sweet on the freeway with the big wheels, but as soon as I tried to go offloading, tires started rubbing and hitting fender/hood. I had to unlatch the hood just to get out of the off road area with out ripping the hood apart. If I where to do again, I would insist on stock wheel and tire size. What good is a H1 if you can not take it off road and get through obstacles without ripping apart fenders.

Lastly, If I where to get another one, It would have to be the Alpha with Duramax conversion. This is the only way you will get a reliable drive train that you can actually take on decent trips. But those are selling for $150-200k which is pretty silly for such an older vehicle. If your going to spend that much, just get a GURKHA http://www.terradyneinc.com/

Lastly, The prices are tanking on the H1 because the goverment is now selling off their old inventory. You can pick up a decent H1 for $5000 now. Put about 10-20k into it and you will have a pretty bad ass h1 that you can take anywhere without spending 60-100k.

Search Results

You can buy from gov planet, then send it to Plan B and they will make it and register for official road use. You spend about 20K at plan b and you will have a pretty kick but H1.

Plan B Supply 6x6 Military Disaster Trucks and Emergency Gear

I paid $89k for my H1 Wagon and sold it 2 years later for $59k. Thanks to the market changing due to places like govplanet and planB, the prices have come way down and I expect them to go even lower.

Thats my experience and what I learned while owning my H1 Wagon. Hopefully it gives a little info and helps avoid some of the same pitfalls.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hummer-2.jpg (52.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:01 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

the parts ones go for 5k... you can hit the sold tab to sell what they sell for...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:09 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
I agree.

How much should it cost to wrap an H1?

Matt
A good shop will charge 5 g's
A great shop about 7 g's

Yes , the look is stealth...
Lots of cameras come out when i roll in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5091.jpg (96.6 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by msdesignltd; 03-21-2017 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:14 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Scotty Ferrari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick21x View Post
First off, the over sized tires are a NO GO. Like the picture above where H1 is coming over the sand. If you tried to take that at an angle, the front wheels would go up into the front fender making an horrible noise as tire almost rips the hood off. I had the same problem. It looked sweet on the freeway with the big wheels, but as soon as I tried to go offloading, tires started rubbing and hitting fender/hood. I had to unlatch the hood just to get out of the off road area with out ripping the hood apart. If I where to do again, I would insist on stock wheel and tire size. What good is a H1 if you can not take it off road and get through obstacles without ripping apart fenders.

Patrick
I'm into off-roading Jeeps, and I always laugh when I see a "mall crawler" Jeep. One of the things that characterizes them is no consideration for potential full wheel articulation given the tire size and lift fitted. May work fine on road (or on flat beaches, or on smooth dirt roads) but on technical off road trails--no way. Of course, it you don't plan on leaving paved roads then it doesn't much matter.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:39 PM
Karting
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
I'm into off-roading Jeeps, and I always laugh when I see a "mall crawler" Jeep. One of the things that characterizes them is no consideration for potential full wheel articulation given the tire size and lift fitted. May work fine on road (or on flat beaches, or on smooth dirt roads) but on technical off road trails--no way. Of course, it you don't plan on leaving paved roads then it doesn't much matter.
MALL CRAWLER LOL that sums it up perfectly. I learned the hard way. Bought the H1 the way it was shown with the large wheels. Went straight to off road park, began to cringe immediately. Lesson learned, leave those Mall Crawlers for street posers. If you want to off road then go with a proper set up.
Non-Sponsor Ads