C4 Corvette | FerrariChat

C4 Corvette

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by rob, Jul 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    So I happened to spot a 92 c4 coupe for sale it looks decent in pics has 72k miles and is priced at 5k. I have never been a big vette guy but in all fairness I have only driven one very briefly a 05 C6. I have been doing some research on the corvette forums but thought I would get a more unbiased opinion here.

2. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    What didn't you like about c6?

Hard to imagine that you're going to like a c4 if you didn't like the newer one. That is, of course, unless you're opinion is based only on looks.

I've never driven a c4, but have always liked the way they look. At 5k, it seems like a lot car for the money.

3. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I did like the C6 although I only got to drive it about a mile I just meant I've never gone nuts over corvettes like I do say Ferraris or Porsches. I always know if a car is right for me once I drive it, I'm just looking for problem areas on these cars what to look for before I make a decision to buy. Just like you said it seems to be a lot of car for the money.

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    is it auto or stick? Hell if it is stick and you don't buy it, I would!

5. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    stick

6. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I can't say I know much about them, but from what I've read, most owners really love them. The only complaints I've read are the typical interior gripes, and some reliability issues concerning the distributor on the LT1 engine. It seems that it's located in a difficult to reach place.

Assuming it's in decent shape, at five grand, I don't think you can go wrong.

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I think you are right its worth more than 5k in parts alone just have to drive it and see if it does it for me.

8. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great performance, reliable and not bad looking. Easy to mod. Problems are mainly the interior. They tend to rattle and wear poorly. Nearly everything is available from parts vendors. A manual trans, in good shape, at that price is a bargain.

9. fullmonty

fullmonty Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2007
    LALAland
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Personally prefer the c5 series, not a big fan of the high door sill in the C4, but if you do not have to invest additional $s in it, welcome to the vette club.

10. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    The time I spent in a C4 was great. First year for port EFI 91985 I think) and a Z51 suspension.

11. BillN

BillN Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2008
    Farmington Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill Nichols
    1992 was the introduction of the LT1 with the Optispark distributor located behind the water pump. Later models had a vent connected to the distributor to prevent moisture from building up inside. Distributors and water pumps are expensive to replace. LT1 had 300 HP which was a nice improvement back then. Manual trans was a ZF 6 speed, nice gearbox but hard to service (requires special tools) or get certain parts for.
    Only issue on the interior I recall was they used a soft touch paint on trim panels and it eventually wore requiring refinishing.
    The Door sill was more challenging to get over than the later cars. I believe 1992 still had the VATS anti theft system with the pellet in the key. Pretty reliable.

12. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    All of the above is correct. The LT motors were a big improvement over the L98 in terms of power, but the early Optispark ignitions don't live as long as the rest of the motor. After about 90 k expect to replace the optispark, but for the price you are paying it's a steal.

The Z07 cars (bigger J55 brakes and stiffer suspension) are highly prized since they typically made about 500 of them per year.

Make sure it isn't a salvage title or anything like that, but at that price you can't go wrong.

13. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I googled the vin and came up with an ad from a couple of years ago and in the ad it said the optispark was bad and needed to be replaced. At the time of the ad the car had 61k miles on it so I would assume this had been done since it currently has over 72k miles on it now. I read up on the venting for the distributor reminds of the similar problem with the 964 Porsches.

14. TurboRegal84

TurboRegal84 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2007
    Southern NJ
    I would suggest driving it and seeing what you think. The high door sills of the C4 and somewhat "Chunky" car feel keep me from really liking the C4s unless they are a ZR1.

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have had a few, the last two being a C5 convertible and a C6 Z06, I never had a real problem with the interior (but I was not expected much from it either), the biggest issue I had was getting used to the way it feels and it took me a while to get the feeling of this thing is big out of my head so I could drive it like I wanted to.

16. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I had a C4 auto convertible for a few years. The auto trans was it's Achilles heel. Had a dracing trans built & installed by drag racers & no more issues

It's a nice comfortable cruiser. The headlight motors can go but everything else was pretty solid

17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Had one for few years. Its a plastic fantastic, not great bbuild and lots of really cheapo interior bits. Handled well for the time, roughish ride not exactly a precsion piece, but also very stable at excess speeds..

The design is to me way betetr than the c5 and c6 which are disjointed. C4 is a clean shape almost european in execution and restraint.

Later versions better than earlier ones.

18. CK7684

CK7684 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2011
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Fwiw I loved my '84. It didn't seem to suffer from the usual squeaks & rattles. I can't compare it to Ferraris or Porsches, but I really enjoyed corners in it! The dash started with its typical glitches & headlight motors gave me problems, but otherwise it was problem free. I bought mine with 77k & sold it with about 120k on it. The styling on C4s never got me very excited until I actually owned one. After that I appreciated its low wide style.

19. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Agree on the C4 styling, really like it over the C5. The C6 however remains my favorite.

Anyone that does not like the step over on the C4 should never go near a Lotus Elise!

20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Thanks for the comments all I still haven't had a chance to go see/drive but hope to by Sat.

21. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    The C4 ZR-1 was ZR-1. The new version is ZR1.

22. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I had a '91 conv with auto and 92 ZR-1 back in the 90's. Both were great performing cars. With the 91 the issues I had were the FX-3 shocks needing new actuators at 40k mi, the auto needed to be rebuilt at 75kmi and water pump replaced at 100kmi. Sold it with 128k mi on it. The 92 ZR-1 was just super and I wish I still had it. Another kid came along and settled that argument.

I would imagine the opti has been replaced by now and its not too hard to do yourself. The issue with the 92's was they did not come with weep holes in them and there would hold water. Not good. The 93's fixed that. Finding a stick makes it even better. If all checks out your getting a steal.

23. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Interesting, I started to look at C5's but also I was wondering about mid 90's C4's. There are a bunch here in Texas at great prices, but I seem to fit more comfortably in a C5. For whatever reason C4's don't get a lot of respect among some Corvette aficionados but I'm seeing some positive responses from this thread from actual owners.

24. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    #24 full_garage, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I bought a 60,00 mile 93 convertible- It was just too cheap not to buy. Actually a surprisingly nice car- LT1 motor, ZF 6 Speed gearbox, the non-disco dash. I refinished the junky plastic (My 355 taught me those skills) and put a heated-window top on. A really fun cheap car to bang around in. I'm, VERY surprised at how much I like it actually-

Other than halfway decent performance- It has the three mundane practical things that I need for a daily driver/classic car-

1) Decent radio
    2) Good A/C
    3) Legroom
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Wow that is great to hear! And that is a beautiful car too. Be advised that the Bose speakers each have ampliers that are prone to fail. If they haven't they will. The replacements are good units and run about $50 if I recall correctly. Easy to change out too.