Stutz Blackhawk: Is it Other Italian or American muscle? | FerrariChat

Stutz Blackhawk: Is it Other Italian or American muscle?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by bitzman, Jul 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Not sure on which category it fits because they were so heavy and had an off the shelf non-tuned engine so weren't very muscular. I am only talking about the styling. Like Rodney Dangerfield, that car don't get no respect. But it should because it was hand built in Italy. With great craftsmanship, except toward the end when (horrors!) they went on Firebird or Camaro chassis and the original design got all jacked out of shape. I have not seen them at Concorso or heard of them being at other major concours.(At Concorso they had a few Cadillac Allantes, a similar idea though in the Allantes case the design was said to be done in Italy) Maybe it's just because I am a fan of retro that I like the Stutz but I think it was a successful re-incarnation of the philosophy of Gene Casaroll (Dual ghia creator) that Italian coachwork can bring back the grandeur of prewar coachbuilding to modern American chassis.

Or am I shouting into the wind on this one?

2. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
  3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Looks like a Buick Riviera to me, not a fan.

I think the Allante was a more successful Italian / American collaboration, surely more so than the ill-fated Maserati TC by Chrysler.

4. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What he said!

Never liked that car whatsoever... just a personal thing. Or the TC - that was an outright joke!

Jedi

5. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Does being handbuilt in Italy make the design more successful?

The Stutz reboot seemed less Gordon Buehrig and more George Barris. For the grandeur without the retro, they should have hired Syd Mead.

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #6 jm2, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Correct, the Allante' was designed solely by PininFarina in Italy with 0 input from the US Design studio.
    With the utmost respect, but in my very humble opinion, I thought the Stutz recreation was an abomination :eek:. Sorry, I have no other word for it.
    That whole pimpmobile thing in the '70's & '80's lasted way too long, but like Disco, finally faded away

I had the misfortune of having been assigned to do a Dual Cowl Phaeton thing as a PPG PaceCar 30 yrs ago. And I wasn't very happy about the assignment. ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    And in my opinion a wonderful design, much nicer than the somewhat similar Reatta (although I did like that too).

The Allante still holds a place in my heart of cars I'd like to have.

8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    That's cool.
    I saw one the other day with the NorthStar motor. Very pristine condition.
    I can't begin to tell you how much heartburn that project gave us back in the USA. :(
    It was fun dealing with the Pininfarina guys though.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #9 Wade, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    bada$$ :)

11. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cmo6MRYf5g[/ame]

12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  13. Autoart

Autoart Karting

Jun 12, 2006
    Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Mike Nicholas
    The Original Stutz follows in the tradition of limited production vehicles aimed at the wealthiest of individuals featuring an Italian built custom body on American Chassis.

Examples include the following:

Hudson Italia 26 units
    Dual Ghia 104 units
    Ghia 6.4L 26 units

The 1971 STUTZ First series Split windshield model - 24 units ( +2 prototypes)

FACTS

1. Only 26 were produced of the 2 seater Split windshield model
    2. Elvis purchased the first car sold to the public
    3. Most expensive car in 1971 - around $26500 USD
    4. Only 14 known to survive
    5. Genuine 2 seater + rear luggage area converts to occasional rear seats
    6. Genuine Mink fur carpeting
    7. Hand Stitched leather interior
    8. 17 inch Magnesium Wheels ( remember this is 1971 and 17 wheels were unheard of at the time, for passenger cars)
    6. Original owners included the most famous of Hollywood celebrities
    7. The coachwork work was hand built in Modena Italy by Carozzeria Padane, a subsidiary of GHIA
    8. The bodies were constructed along side the Maserati Indy .
    9. Shares instruments, door handles and other trim items with contemporary Maserati Indy.

This first series model in a 2 seater coupe configuration with "Spilt Windshield" should not be confused with the 1972 and later Stutz cars.

In reality most people have never seen an original split windshield Stutz. It is has a lower waist line, increased distance between the front wheel and cowl with a more sporting flair

The later (1972 on) Stutz cars can be distinguished from the rare & spectacular 1971 model because their proportions were altered to allow for 4 regular seats, standard non split windshield, a full length rear bumper in compliance with government regulations applicable from 1972 on.

The 1971 model represents the original design intended by its designer, Virgil Exner and is unique with extremely limited production of only 26 units ( includes 2 prototypes) like the Ghia 6.4L.

The later cars were compromised to save on costs with complete disregard to the original design. They have a similar front end design but the proportions are all wrong

It should be noted Exner was responsible for the styling of the Dual Ghia and Ghia 6.4L

Check on the current market values of the Ghia 6.4L

The list of owners for the Ghia 6.4L mirrors the original owners of the "original" 1971 split windshield Stutz

It is undoubtedly a special car for anyone that smokes oversize Cuban cigars , loves to wear ostentatious jewellery and is often seen in the company of a show girl ... Oh! ...I almost forgot to mention - the full length genuine mink coat, crocodile skin shoes and a belt made from exotic "Amazon" snake leather with a diamond studded buckle .
    Ha! .......That's living......... Man!!

Does anyone know of a 1971 Stutz for sale?

Please send me a PM.

14. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Now I understand why Elvis had one.

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Was there ever any question.....?

16. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I think the Superfly Caddys and such only happened because the Stutz was too expensive and done in much better taste. But the Superfly cars did give American luxury a bad taste for years (you have to ask" "Is this the best we can do?) , so hopefully now that the Superfly cars are all in junkyards or crushed, the Stutz Blackhawks can emerge as the next gen example
    of what Eugene Casaroll was trying to do with the Dual Ghia earlier. I think they are better looking than either the Dual Ghia convertible or later 6.4L coupe. I'd like to read an interview of the modern Stutz company founder, O'Donnell, to see where he thought he had a niche...

I notice in one article it said the Shah had twelve so there must be some over there not in the Royal Museum..though Teheran might not be a safe place for American car collectors to shop just yet...