What is a muscle car? | FerrariChat

What is a muscle car?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by afwrench, Jul 26, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looking for some opinions on the subject. I help sponsor a local car show and some participants want a separate "Muscle " category.Initial thoughts are 64 to 72 ,GM,Ford,Chrysler.Should we include full size,big block with 2 doors,pony cars,Mustang and Camaro,excluding base engine etc? Please give me your opinions on what you think qualifies as a "Muscle Car of that era. Thanks,Mike

2. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    This can be argued all day long. No one will agree with any single definition, but...

The standard definition is a muscle car is a 1964-1972 American intermediate-size car with a larger than standard engine for that platform.

But you will be murdered and/or go insane trying to enforce that definition.

When I have set up local shows with classes, I put intermediate and full size American cars in a "muscle" class. And divvy it up by years, 1964-1969, 1970-1974, and 1975 - new. And the '75 and newer class always causes complaints.

Corvettes get their own class = sports car, not a muscle car.

Pony cars like Mustang, Camaro, Challenger, Barracuda, 'cuda, AMX, Javelin get their own class, also divvyed up by year.

Resign yourself to the fact that you will never make everyone happy. And people will get nuts over this stuff.

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I agree and ou made me happy :)

Best

Lee

4. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I think the categories should serve the show, not the other way around. I would base the groups on what cars people have to show.

5. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    I believe Jeff nailed it and what Thomas said is a good rule of thumb. If it is a show for all car types then Jeff's outline should be your breakout categories. If for instance it is an Italian car show with other types allowed then you could group the Pony cars, vettes and muscle cars into one group. No matter what everyone will not be happy.

6. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks for the input guys. That is the way I was thinking.Now I will talk with the other sponsors and come up with a plan. Thanks again, Mike

7. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    I run 22 car shows every summer (one per week May-September) - this is my 6th year of doing it - and I go to about 15 other car shows every summer. I have grown to hate the whole award thing at the various local shows and don't do awards at my shows. It's supposed to be fun!

afwrench, will there be participant judging or will the show organizers be judging?

8. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Basically any car from the 60's and 70's that has a good power to weight ratio and can easily leave two nice long patches of rubber on the road, along with the criteria below;

One tire fire non-posi = not a muscle car
    2bbl = not a muscle car
    4 door = not a muscle car
    Anything past '74 = not a muscle car

9. afwrench

afwrench Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2004
    NY
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A mix of both for judges.I would prefer peoples choice,kids choice etc. Mike