2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat | FerrariChat

2016 Dodge Charger Hellcat

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by wings, Sep 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Just ordered a 2016 Charger Hellcat in Billet Silver. Hope to have it next month some time. 707HP

2. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    I just took delivery of mine. Had it on order forever. Fast in a straight line but not much else going for it. I'm putting mine up for sale. Not sure what I was expecting but I'm not impressed.

3. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    Surely it would do good on a track😳 what are you comparing it to? You will not try once?

4. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    You surly are in a minority as Dodge will sell about 10,000 of them this year. I already have the Challenger Hellcat with about 2000 miles and think its terrific. Will add the Charger to the stable. Perhaps you had a different mission in mind. Sometimes that does happen.

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Anyone hear the Hellcat will eventually have twin turbos? If so, i think I might wait for that.

6. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    I find it boring. It's a rocket in a straight line but doesn't get my adrenalin jumping. It's been awhile since I've owned a domestic car with the exception of pickups. The interiors have improved but they're still not very nice places to be.

I know I'm in the minority. Took me almost a year to get mine. I've driven about 100 miles and I'm putting it on consignment tomorrow. I can understand why people like this car. It just doesn't do it for me.

7. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    You'll be waiting a long time.

8. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    No doubt it performs well in the 1/4 mile.

9. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I'd be curious to hear a bit more of a review. Seems that the car would make a nice boulevard cruiser with ferocious acceleration. Given the car's weight, it'd never cut it as a carver in the twisties. Just too damn heavy. I also thought that Dodge really improved the interior. I saw one 3 weeks ago at a local cars & coffee and I thought the interior looked reasonably nice for the price.

10. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Again, buy a car that suits your mission. If your primarily interested in the track then you should find a car that is more track focused. Plenty of choices there. I drive on the street and the car is perfect for me. Still goes like hell if you want it to or you can drive it easy and use it as a daily driver. Big trunk so you can take it to the store. Comfortable to drive and a great new interior that looks luxurious ( with the upgraded leather which is now standard ) Car has a terrific sound ( think Nascar, adjustable suspension, great 8.4 inch display for nav and other programs, a wonderful, new, 8 speed transmission ( engineered by ZF ) paddle shifters, etc. Where else can you get a 700+ HP car for under $70K ( 2016 ) Bottom line for me is that it is just so much fun to drive!

11. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    #11 wings, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    While it may not be the best choice for canyon carving, its hardly a barge. Plenty of Euro tanks weigh that much and you rarely hear complaints about them. The Hellcat offers 200MPH top end, staggering acceleration, a comfortable interior, is a fantastic car for trips and can be used daily if desired. You can carry a few friends in comfort and know that you'll have the measure of any of the so-called superior German brands in a stoplight Grand Prix or a run to Vegas. I guess for the folks that like the interiors of their cars to look like a Gucci purse, it doesn't pass muster, but I'm OK with that.

13. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Never said it was a barge. Just that it's heavy and not going to carve the corners as would a car with equivalent power/weight, but 500-1000 lbs lighter. I have a M-B CL600, so I agree with you that heavy cars can be made to handle pretty well - it's just not their forte.

Your car is the car that I probably would've waited had I known at the time that it was coming down the pike. Instead, I couldn't wait and bought a Shelby GT500 instead to satisfy my muscle car "urge". The Shelby has many of the same attributes as your car, except that it's not as comfortable and has a rental car interior. But it's a fun car that splits daily driver duties with the CL600.

14. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I owned a CL600 and loved it. It too, was comparatively plain inside, although nicely crafted. It was a great highway car as well. I sold it when the warranty was getting ready to expire as I'd already had two coil packs, a set of shocks and an issue with the COMAND system-all at under 18K miles!
    I think the Hellcat is a hellava bargain for a very competent car-I wasn't really directing the comment at you as I agree with what you said-more towards those that think it's a one trick pony, as in 1/4 mile prowess only, as that isn't true.

15. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    I am waiting for the jeep SRT version...that should be one hell of a ride. I would presume if you are looking for attention {as it appears the seller wants] the 707 HP will not cut it the Challenger. To the casual observer,it's just a Challenger.

16. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    After spending a few days with the car I have a different opinion. It really is a fun car to drive, especially for the money. Incredibly, I mean incredibly, fast in a straight line. I like the exterior looks but still wish they'd do something about the interior. However, I do understand that they're trying to keep it as affordable as possible. For $67k it's a bargain. It's won me over.

17. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    Is this directed towards me? I hope not.

If you think a Hellcat doesn't get attention you're mistaken. I've had more thumbs ups driving this car then any Ferrari that I've owned.

18. JOEA2

JOEA2 Formula 3

Feb 2, 2006
    Staten Island, N.Y./ Sea Girt,N.J.
    Full Name:
    Joe A
    I am glad you realized that a few hundred miles is not enough to make an intelligent decision.

Joe

19. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
  20. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
  21. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #21 3500 GT, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    ????

You really own this car? First you don't really like it,..now you do like it after actually driving it?

Your posts sound like B.S. to me.

I've track driven the Hellcat. It worked very well.

A bargain at $67K,...who actually paid that for one????

22. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    #22 3240, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You've never changed your mind on a car before. First hundred miles not impressed but it starts to grow on you? That's never happened?

Yes this is B.S. I own several make believe cars. Thanks for calling me out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I luv that.

Its just sad that pictures & or video are required these days. There are sooooo many posers that people who actually tell the truth are doubted. How sad is that?

I remember when I was in high school all the punks said that their 2 barrel Nova's made 500HP from the 350 cubes on pump gas... I never said a word and had a real 500HP out of my hopped up 440 Mopar. I thought those days would end after school. But it seems that these days it worse than ever. The kids these days just out right lie.

Sorry you had to defend 3240. But we live in a backwards world.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Dealer plates on a the cars in photos gives pause for thought

By the same token the other poster who thinks these cars are good on a road course, well maybe good for a 4500lbs behemoth but let's be realistic. The brakes and overall handling are probably more than competent for roads out west but a track car it's far from, unless the track in question its a drag strip.

Like a Vmax great for what it is, really fast on road. but far from a track machine, still really cool

25. 3240

3240 Karting

Apr 13, 2014
    Denver
    Full Name:
    John
    #25 3240, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    Ummm, dealer plates??? Or, could these be temp tags since they're new cars??? You should pause for thought a little bit longer.