Need advice on custom muffler/resonator | FerrariChat

Need advice on custom muffler/resonator

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by f4udriver, Sep 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    #1 f4udriver, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Since I replaced my LS6 motor with a supercharged engine of 820 HP the mufflers just are too loud. I have to wear ear plugs when I drive the car. Now the cats have blown out. Since I am replacing the cats with a straight pipe I would assume the sound levels will only increase.

Some more info
    the current mufflers are 6 inch diameter and have a 2.5 inch inlet.
    I contacted Vivid racing and they suggested a resonator instead of a muffler.
    I have no experience in this area.

I am looking for a good sound and leaving my ear plugs at home.

Picture is the best I could get with a cell phone.

All help is appreciated.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nate Johnson

Nate Johnson Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2006
    USA
    Sweet machine!

Have you checked with Borla? At one time they made silencers that would fit right after the collector, quiet enough for track noise restrictions. I think their phone number is 877-462-6752.

3. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    Having previously had a mildly built LS1 Camaro and a fairly built supercharged '03 Cobra, I have some good experience regarding sound levels. My '11 M3 was also fully catless and I played with the exhaust setup on that quite a bit.

The LS1 was fully catless and I ran various combinations of resonators only, mufflers only, and resonators w/ mufflers. The same applies to the Cobra and the M3.

I would suggest either Borla or Magnaflow and a combination of resonators and mufflers if space allows.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

-James

4. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
  5. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I have a Corsa on my CTSV. Sounds great and is fairly quiet until you step on it.

6. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I would think about a system based on a muffler like that in the C5Z (titanium and light) and a set of cutouts that open at higher throttle openings and send that flow through a set of mufflers that don't have to be huge but could handle the additional flow.

Most of the time on the street you are at sub-500 hp type of exhaust flows and the C5 ti mufflers can handle that much with ease. Now that electronic cutouts are used in lots of OE applications the cost should be reasonable and you can just open them up with a throttle activated switch and you can have the best of both worlds.

Once you are up over 650 hp there aren't as many solutions that will keep the car quiet enough to work on the street when you are making 30 hp and cruising down the highway and can change to the flow required to handle 800 hp. A cutout system that could allow the flow to go through a set of mufflers that would handle that overflow and you will have what you want.

I don't think most performance mufflers are really worth it. Most of them are loud and many drone on the highway, and yes they have low flow but being reasonable in noise level really isn't what they are made for. They're really just enough to keep you legal and that's a pretty irritating noise level when you're inside the vehicle making the noise.

7. Sunracer

Sunracer Formula Junior

May 18, 2005
    Makati City
    Full Name:
    Pierre Beniston
  8. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    #9 f4udriver, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks for all of the help and ideas

I decided to go with Vibrant cats and a slightly larger muffler.

The enclosed picture is looking down the Cat from the engine side. When I removed the O2 sensor it was actually bent and was difficult to remove due to being deformed. I assume this is from the cat blowing out. I have been told this could of actually caused serious internal damage to the engine, luckily that did not happen. There was a loud clunk and then the engine stalled I assume from the computer. But it did throw a rich code a little later. It still runs fine but obviously I drove carefully all the way home.

I spent a lot of time with all of the suggestions here and I finally came to the decision I made due to the ratings Vibrant has on their cats. I couldn't find any other manufacturer that actually listed the Hp value their cats would work with (or with a supercharger).

Car will be down for about another week until the fabricator gets everything done but luckily I have another Mosler to drive